[2.25] Rifleman weapon balance

Discussion in 'Archive' started by -Mayama-, May 17, 2009.

1. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

The assault rifles are as good at long range as the rifles meant for that distance (BEcar & NFhr).
    Just making the damage fall off bigger wont fix it cause if you need 5-10 or
    8-18 bullets for someone doesnt matter with that rof.

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

How can changing the damage falloff not possibly work?

You do realise that you can make guns much less powerful at range with that?

In any case you can't hit people twenty or so times very quickly at range with an AR, they do get less accurate the longer you fire them. They also aren't that accurate to begin with, the carbines are much more powerful at range. The ARs are good at mid range and better at close, the carbines are good at mid range and better at long, which is exactly what they're supposed to do as far as I'm aware.

Besides, I like the new ARs, and the carbines are perfectly functional.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  3. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I have no problem to kill people far away with the bear or nfar and i guess it
    wouldnt change anything if it takes 5 bullets more to do it.

4. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I was raping people with them yesterday and they had no idea where I was most of the time.

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Alright then, what about if the AR gets a single shot mode which brings its accuracy up to current levels but only fires one shot at a time with a small pause between shots, otherwise it fires in three round bursts minimum and has slightly reduced accuracy but is just as deadly at close range, it also loses a small amount of zoom from IS mode, This keeps the fun qualities of the current balance but makes the two distinct uses more obvious to new players.

To compensate, the carbine weapons for both sides are replaced with the scout rifle models and both are balanced to work like the NFHR with slightly better zoom, so they become better at long range than the ARs simply because you can see more easily what you're aiming at, while the AR has recieved a slight ROF nerf when used at long range.

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

We could give the carbines a mild zoom / aimpoint if you wanted to go that route. Something like the zoom for the aug or sg52 from css would be sufficient, rather than full-blown sniper scopes.

However...it's probably not the way forward. But there's no real reason why it shouldn't be as it's worked well in other games.

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I didn't say give it a sniper scope, I said replace the model and give it a SLIGHTLY greater zoom than the NFHR.

Read before you reply please because I don't like having to repeat myself.

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I didn't say you did. I figured that's what was on the scout models, but I could be wrong...

9. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Problem with the sniper rifle model is that it makes people play... well snipe :(

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Not if you give it less zoom it shouldn't, if you want to, reposition the IS so that it's a bit further back from the scope, that combined with the reduced zoom should make it less of a snipery weapon and more of a single shot type weapon.

The other alternative is that you make the carbines bolt action and very powerful, like bolt actions in COD or BF1942.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I would love to see a bolt, but that probably won't help with the Rifleman's all-round anti-infantry schtick (someone would undoubtedly complain about not being able to shoot much at medium-close range).

12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I'd rather see the scout rifle damage falloff distance increased, so its less shitty at closer ranges, but the rate at which it drops once it hits that distance increased.

13. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Scout rifle is O.K.
    BEAR and NFAR needs to be the close-medium distance gun it is.
    BECAR and NFHR needs to be the medium-long distance gun it is.
    BEHMG and NFHMG needs to be the medium distance gun it is.

Accuracy upgrade should extend these gun's reaches one notch.

14. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

It would be nice to see optics like those in SMOD's CSS SCI-FI mod. Simple, straightforward, easy to use, awesome looking, reflex sights (also known as red dot).

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Whatever the case, I find the ARs to be balanced against the rest of the game and fun to use, the only possible problem is that they infringe on the territory of the carbines.

The solution is not to change the AR, because the AR is fun and balanced, the solution has to be to change the carbines.

16. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Yes I agree AR's are not the problem. It's the range on the Carbines.. And the resistance they have against mowtars! *shakes fist*

17. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

assault rifles are not ok, cause you cant buff the long range rifles further or
    theirs nothing to counter it. So you need to tone down the assault rifles.

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Has it not occured to you that you can do something else with the long range rifles?

Having two guns which work at two separate ranges in a game where you can see as far as empires doesn't really work.

Get rid of the long range rifles if you have to, find something else to give the rifleman.

Shotguns spring to mind, or possibly replace the ranged rifle with an extreme close range rifle or SMG with ironsights.

At the moment the ARs aren't massively powerful at range, they're effective but not so much so that you can't do anything about them, so they're a good balance for both close and mid-long range. So I don't see why you should break that lovely balance just because you think we need two guns.

19. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

The carbine rifles should shoot about as far as the mowtar can. I would think.

Yeah I like the idea of giving them shot guns too. Anything to keep this game close and intense so they battles don't seem so dull spread out. Make a 32 man server as intense as a 64 man server. I suck at rifles but even on a laggy 300 ping server I was gunning fools down like I knew what I was doing. And when people who are good at it use it, It's scary and makes me want to only be that class so I have some chance of fighting back.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  20. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

so why not make the Carbine like the BEAR, and turn the BEAR into a auto shotgun.