[2.24] Light Tanks/AFV.

Discussion in 'Archive' started by PreDominance, Mar 23, 2009.

1. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Firstly, I don't know if I can make threads. If not, delete, whatever.

Second, I bring this issue here because it needs to be discussed properly, and without the nonsense spam of the suggestion forum.

The light tank is, in essence, too small. At least compared to Brenodi. I'm talking about light tanks being able to do what the BE artillery does to the NF comm; running up to it, staying under his turret(not for comms...), and firing. There is absolutely no way to kill them at all unless you're in a group this way.
    It's not due to my any inabilities I have as a tank driver. Its directly due to the light tanks being too small, having a hitbox the size of my cereal box, and the fact that with reactive/composite, it takes 5 UpgML hits to kill one.

Please discuss,
    Stevee

2. OuNin

OuNin Member

Any damage to any part should make the engine stall, especially if it has 3-phase.

3. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

That's ESPECIALLY what kills me, is the fking "HURR I HAS FAST ENGIEN" and he just nearly flips my afv/medium/heavy,

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Superlghts are hard to hit with most weapons, AFVs are not, lights have a lasting advantage throughout the game as their speed is equivalent to an armor bonus, and as they can mount a similar amount of reactive armor to a medium tank, they have armor greater than a medium, about as much firepower with mark 2s, and far more speed. They are also cheaper than mediums.

BE have a good medium chassis albeit a bit harder to handle than lights, but lights are available early and still outlcass the medium in many ways, they can also be massed because they're easier to use and cheaper.

So, the logical solutions are to give BE a similar vehicle, and to nerf both so that they better approximate their position as lighter vehicles, possibly nerf the original light vehicles a lot and keep mark 2s as being slightly worse than the current LT mk 2.

5. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

The other thing that kills me is the recently invented sniper tanks. NF Lights(MK2) that sit their with Upg Homing and simply crush tanks from half a field away. Upg Homing does 90 damage a hit, and that's more than most plates can handle.
    The NF Mk2 is simply horrible. Little hornets that can buzz around you, firing salvos of missiles, do a fly-by with degrading weaponry, or simply get under your vehicle is like a nightmare.

I predict if this problem is fixed, you'll see the average 75-25 score go to a 55-45.

6. OuNin

OuNin Member

The developers need to outright say what they want each team's vehicle strengths to be and balance work towards that instead of seesawing with ambiguous strengths and weaknesses.

7. communism

communism poof

The problem isn't the light tank being so small, its the AFV being so big.
    Dizzy is working on a new model AFAIK so give it time

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Putting two light tanks in the game won't solve the problem of LTs being overpowered compared to other vehicles. You'd still need to rebalance them to make them weaker than meds.

9. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Yeah, you're right Chris.

The only way to fix it is to make the LT bigger. They can get under ANY tank.

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Erm, wouldn't it make more sense to just make ramming fuck the rammer up? And to slow all lights slightly and perhaps reduce their maximum armor.

11. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

make ramming kill them.

DONe.

12. communism

communism poof

Whats up with everyone wanting to nerf everything now days?

13. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Umm, I'm not for nerfing everything. I'm up for nerfing a 420res item that can kill multiple 1000 res items.

14. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I'm really not sure what the best solution is (though I favor an AFV remodel such as dizzy's new model), but I think this should take priority over other fixes/features.

15. communism

communism poof

Then fix the 1000 res problems. That would be a more enjoyable solution if you ask me

16. OuNin

OuNin Member

Light tanks have been asking for the biggest buff since I began playing in 2.0.

17. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

yeah the light tank is the only vehicle that is really entertaining to use so why nerf it instead of making the other ones enjoyable too???

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Then you need to buff meds and heavies to keep the progression in, and that would be doing the same as nerfing lights.

19. OuNin

OuNin Member

And nerfing infantry.

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Oh yeah forgot about that, you'd need to buff infantry some more as well.

You'd basically be giving everything bigger numbers but nerfing lights relative to everything else.

You could do the same by nerfing lights and then multiplying everything by ten afterwards.