[2.23] [Feedback] Artillery

Discussion in 'Archive' started by dizzyone, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Make arty crap against tanks and have your tanks shell the walls until they go down, then rush through and kill the weak arty with your tank.

Walls don't need to be deconned, they can be killed quite well with tanks in numbers.

Hell if you need to you could give APCs an anti-wall grenade launcher.

2. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

Generally flanking will work, there are of course times that this option is removed from you.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

If the enemy can effectively wall off a huge chunk of map it's a problem with the map more than anything.

4. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Duststorm is the only official map
    where you cant wall off enough space
    to protect arty

5. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Mayama is right. You can't blame the maps for the fact that it is so easy to protect walls with arty and spam enough to destroy any building in range, kill any infantry and overheat any tank.

The ideas about changing ROF/damage/armor of arties are pointless as they do not address the main problem with arties - if you hide behind walls you can kill anything in range and there is no way to counter it other than getting your own arties and hoping you kill more than you die. This applies to almost every map.

I llike the fact that arty is now in the medium tech tree, unfortunately with increased effectiveness and difficulty to counter, they are the new nukes in the fact that they pwn noobs and seal the deal for a winning team easily, or create boring stalemates in balanced games.

As it stands, Arties need a better counter. As arties cause so much damage to buildings and infantry the sensible thing to do is to remove a lot of heat damage to tanks, so that tank rushes actually work effectively versus arties. Of course this will just mean that people will spam even more walls before they roll arties out.

Ideally I would like to see walls HP lowered or have certain weapons damage walls more, otherwise any nerf given to arties will just mean people spam more walls to hide behind and stalemates will be even more boring and harder to break.

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Remove heat damage and actual damage, there's no reason for arties to be effective against tanks, they aren't supposed to be anti-tank weapons, they're supposed to destroy bases.

7. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Who cares if they damage tanks if the tanks cant reach the artys because
    they cant climp walls...

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

If arties can't damage tanks, tanks can blast their way through walls.

9. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Lol it takes so many shells to kill a wall the arties will wait til you need more ammo then kill you when you leave the tank :D

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Use more than one tank, or bring an APC, that's what APCs are for.

I also doubt arty are going to know when you get out and drop ammo, or that they could make their shells go fast enough to hit you.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  11. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

You need a hell of a lot of tanks shooting walls to be able to kill them faster than they can be built.

Parking an apc against a barricade and expecting engineers under arty fire to deconstruct a path for tanks to get through is a great way to waste tickets.

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah, you do, but a walled defence with arty cover and people shooting at your tanks should be an effective delayer.

If you want to break it easily, get your own arty, that's what arty is for, or have some APCs with grenades, or just shell away, tanks actually do an appreciable amount of damage to walls, a constant shelling would end with your victory, although it might be slow if you don't have your own artillery support.

And parking an APC up against the wall is not a bad idea, because unless the arties are shelling close to the wall they can probably get the wall down a good way before they get killed, I'd be surprised if it doesn't make a breach and they can't rush through and kill a few enemy engies.

Without artillery damage to tanks the enemy can't keep you away from their walls, so it becomes a delay but nothing more, if the enemy field their own tanks then it should hold, because the enemy has a prepared position with artillery, tanks, and walls, you can't get a better defence than that so don't expect to break it without a similar force.

13. Nitrax

Nitrax Member

I've never seen anyone wall off Isle before, or Cyclopean, or mvally to defend arty. There all open enough that you can reach where ever you need to get too, (assuming you don't just get killed on the way.)

And walls have never been too much of a problem for me, either there are gaps in the wall, the sides of the choke point can be skimmed across, or there is another route,

The problem has always been doing enough damage to the arty before being destroyed.

14. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

There's also one more thing with walls, that unless an engineer have a very boring life and builds them, they cost 25res per section for the com.

15. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

I held out one game on crossroads when we just had gotten regen meds and the enemy had rail heavies/middle the entire game by getting the entire team to wallspam/sticky/mine the entrance to our main. Got nukes and made a comeback FTW. Def lulzy.

16. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

The only weapons that destroy walls fast are arty cannons and nukes.
    And even those need alot of time.

One arty that shells the walls from time to time keeps it clean :P
    And yes you can do that you only need to drive a bit backward or aim higher.
    One arty shell kills everything close to the walls in a 2 long wall segment radius.

Thats the problem the main counter to are boring and frustraiting tactic
    like wall off and arty spam is doing the same.

Yes it works its only a matter of time til one team kills the
    enemy artys and with he or ranged the rest of their base.

Its a game and assume that the main goal of a game is "entertainment"
    Two teams that shell at each other from a long distance is not
    very entertaining. Its boring and makes the game unfun (at least imo).

I think a good fix (but not a solution) for walls would be to make
    the commander placed walls weaker than the engineer ones.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  17. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Actually I fought a match recently where heavies went against a walled in base, the missiles on the one or two heavies attacking at any given time did a surprising amount of damage to the walls, give it a try sometime, I suspect most cannons would work just as well.

I can see an argument for the addition of easier wall breaking weapons, I don't think they're neccesary but you could certainly add them in and try them, but if you do I still think that would solve the issue entirely, and it's possible that you'd find even without them, simply removing the damage to tanks would fix it.

18. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

The changelog:

19. Goose

Goose Member

Doesn't that still leave arty with the ability to have 2-3 sides on each end?

Why not lower it to the point if they want HE or ranged they can only fit on 1-2 slots on each side, making some of their sides only have 1.

20. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

With HE you could equip 11 plates of composite, 8 plates of absorbant. 7 plates of regenerative/reflective and 5 plates of reactive