[2.23] [Feedback] Artillery

Discussion in 'Archive' started by dizzyone, Jan 20, 2009.

1. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Discuss artillery tank here.

The changelog:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Zomg dual small spam.

Limit to one please.

3. dizzyone

This has been fixed in rev 860.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Thats stupid, don't limit it to 1, why would anyone use it then?

Just increase the heat it gives significantly so that you can't spam it as much.

5. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

It had a damage buff in 2.22, but no limit to compensate. Autofiring artillery cannons didn't seem a wee bit strange to you?

6. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

Unless the weight has been changed there would be no reason to go with a single slot arty, over the dual slot.
    I haven't checked out the exact stats of the two shells, but I don't think the small arty has any advantage over the two slot one.
    It might as well be removed unless some changes are made that would make you want to take it.

7. dizzyone

Could you please try out the changes applied, or atleast look through the log, before commenting on the changes? It's kind of... ...silly.

8. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

dizzy altered the weights so you can either use a med with less armor or a small with more armor. Med does more damage.

9. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Everytime I hear arty ingame I think: now the game gets boring.

I really dont like arty in general it removes the whole infantry
    part of the game with one research. Its frustraiting for the enemy
    and boring for the people that use it.

Now that you can reach it even faster its even more frustraiting.

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Oh shit...I thought every one of these threads was referring to 2.22, I didn't realise anything was updated except the MKII AFVs and stuff...shit I just commented in every thread.

EDIT: Reduce small arty weight to 50, and I'm happy. I tested with it and was reasonably satisfied with the results, small arty is still a viable option, but it should still only weigh 50.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  11. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

And.. Fix how be arty can get under NF CV and heavies?

12. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Small has the lowest firing arc, making it the best close range artillery. It can hit things medium or larger needs to back 1km off to hit.

13. Drag

Drag Member

Quoted for truth and emphasis. The benefit of the small arty is being able to directly hit closer targets. Thats the most important difference, not slots or weight or whatever. No need to have an artillery cannon that shoots too far to hit enemy tanks (the higher the arc the longer the flying time = less accuracy against moving things like tanks)

14. Porthos

Porthos Member

Artillery traditionally is used against emplacements and dug in troops for that very reason. Arty is not an Anti-Tank weapon.

15. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Its hard to say while IMO they should be slow firing and slow moving weak armor with excellent dmg. Too many noobs would probably constantly fuck the team. I havn't tried in 2.22 but if vehc speeds are similar I've always found you don't really have to worry about tank support when you are in an arty you can just run off most of the time. I really think the mod should focus on encouraging people to stay together more. Make APCs slower so they can't run off doing laps around the map with immunity from enemy tanks, let APCs resupply tanks. Slow down arties so they need tank support. Yeah....

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Remove small arty and replace it with a two slot cannon which is called 'rapid fire arty' which does more or less the same thing as 2 smalls but is easier to balance.

Also give it a small amount of side to side aim if possible? It feels a bit crap having to aim it by turning the chassis. The whole vehicle could actually do with an overhaul to make it actually work differently from a tank, because at the moment it's just a tank with a powerful gun which can't aim properly.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  17. Drag

Drag Member

Artillery tanks remain their old speed while both lights and meds are faster. Heavies have the same speed though. (Ofcourse if the arty has 3p and the med/light has standard or coolant... yea)

18. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Dual small arty is not something that can wait it breaks the game.
    You can win any map with it.
    The argument that plain arty tanks are weak and easy to kill is not true.
    Firstoff one guy that can aim with such a arty is enough to end the game.
    Second you just need to wall of and let the arty kill everything in a second.
    After that you build new walls covered by arty fire and advance.

EDIT:
    Arty is just a boring and lame game element, it was it bevor 2.2 but now its
    so fast to research that the "boring arty fight" begins so fast that its not fun
    at all to play.

I cant think of a single player (people that almost only command dont count)
    that says "yes, arty is fun and i like to play against or with arty"
    Why is such a element in the game. Its as frustraiting as the scout rifle was in 2.1.

I guess with bigger maps and planes arty will not be
    a problem but atm its just plain boring and frustraiting.

Whats the teamplay element of one guy in an arty tank destroying whole bases
    and the enemy cant do anything against cause the arty is covered by a hill or whatever.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  19. Melee

Melee Member

arty

ok im posting here cos it relates to arty which has become the flavour of the month..
    I dont think the issue is how many slots, weight or whatever, the real problem is emp's have discovered 20 artys can punish an enemy in hust the same way the old dual rail heavys used to... when a team gets 20 apcs and rushes the cv it generally wins...
    The problem could be down to one team having more rez allowing 20 vehicles to be built so should we nerf rez? - - no should we nerf tanks -- no
    why cos its a tank based game and what makes Empires unique, we already have Infantry units that make the game interesting up to the point the teams can afford tanks.
    I believe the answer is to restrict the types of vehicles that can be made to make it more balanced gameplay and afford more teamwork.
    Limits might be :
    3 arties, 3 heavies, 4 meds, 5 lights, 5 apcs etc which along with infantry might help balance the game allowing a losing team to fight back.
    2 nf lights and 1 du apc could make short work of be heavies ??
    I have no idea if you can do this but it solves a problem of one team running amok with 20 arties etc...

20. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

arty changes the game completly even if you only roll out one or two