[2.2] Map compiling

Discussion in 'Archive' started by arklansman, Jul 28, 2008.

1. arklansman

arklansman Member

I need someone with a fast or spare computer and basic knowledge of hammer to compile maps for me. Instructions on which maps to compile and what specific settings need to be used can be found in your EmpiresTest/mapsrc directory.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  2. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

2.4 Quad Core with 4 GB RAM here, what do I need to do that?

3. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

depends on how long itll take but i can probably compile some smaller maps if you tell me how ;)

4. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

I was talking to mootant, and I would be willing to do it

5. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

There is a instruction in mapsrc in SVN. Use options specified there and tell mapper (arklansman) that you started compiling it.

6. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

The only text file I see in that folder is a readme telling me what maps need to be compiled.

No file telling me of the options specified, which are required to compile it correctly.

7. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Use default options for full compile (full vis, full rad) and add these that are listed for specific map.

8. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I still think it's better to go with batch compiler, you can have presets for each map stored in an individual file.

9. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Then prepare instructions how to use it.

10. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Well Nems site appears to be down and for the life of me I cant find any mirrors to download batch compiler. He also had a tutorial on his site, but any other mention of a batch compiler tutorial just seems to link to his site too.

If anyone wants it i can upload the zip I have. If you want to find me in steam friends I can also take you through setting it up, but it's pretty straightforward.

I would however recommend you get the BSP haxed program, it reduces compile time greatly and doesnt rape your vis leafs like the normal BSP program does, so it optimises your map a lot better.

On checking for a link, it appears this guys site is down too. WTF is going on. Ok I can upload this file too if anyone wants it.

11. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

12. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Oh weird it doesnt work for me at all :/

well heres the haxed compilers: http://www.mediafire.com/?cwrkxvpqlue

Theres instructions how to install them in there. Bear in mind i think the new 32 version is bugged and reports a leak every time, the 16 version works perfectly for large maps though.

13. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

To compile maps and get tree shadows to show up, I had to compile the map with static tree models (I think they're in the model dir) by copying them over the standard tree model. Then, I had to copy the animated trees back and doing a quick compile that only updated entities. If that's too much, I'd suggest just using the static tree models instead of the animated ones.

14. Silk

Silk Mapper

I had to do that for 2.1 as well.

However i compiled the same map for the OB version and the shadows of the dynamic trees (orexcluster) worked perfectly :)
    I even removed to static trees from the map cause i won't be needing them anymore.

I'm only talking about 4 models: 1 orex tree and 3 orex clusters. Not sure about other dynamic props, but i assume their shadows work as well now.

15. arklansman

arklansman Member

I've already done that for the maps that have a large amount of trees. (At least the first step ;p )

16. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

For those that have a pc to spare for compiling, can you install REALVNC on it so one of the devs (most likely me or arklansman) can remotely start compiles?
    REALVNC is a type of remote desktop, so all you need to do is provide the pc with internet access and REALVNC installed on it.
    If you can't or won't install it (for security reasons or such), we can place the batch compiler preset files on SVN, which you can then use to compile the map without having to set the settings yourself.

17. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

I could set up a empty VM with vnc.

18. TrItOn

TrItOn Member

map compiling?

:D

I only have 2 systems I can allow remote access to they are both dual core 2.2ghz~2.8ghz, 2-4 gigs ddr2 800mhz, 250+gb hdd systems at your disposal.

Also, have a Phenom system ready for private compiles of files.

Won't probably have an issue less my elec. bill goes up $$$$

Just ordered a new Phenom BE 9950+ will have a 9600+ Phenom avail to compile will make it available to you for remote map compile......:)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  19. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

3.0GHz P4 dual core, 2GB ram. I'm up for it.

20. arklansman

arklansman Member

Filler