10% speed upgrade for scouts

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Private Sandbag, Oct 2, 2007.

1. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

I just played a match where me and another guy tried to go to the front lines (on isle) and I used stamina upgrade.

We were both in the same squad, I was SL so we both had speed boost, and I was using stamina upgrade as a scout, he was an engineer. Maybe he had the speed boost upgrade, idk.

But I kept up with him, and did NOT go faster then him. Here's what I did: stamina sprint all the way until i only had a little bit of stamina left but not fully depleted, recover till almost full, then sprint again.

The result was we both travelled at about the same pace. If I travelled faster then him, the resulting distance was measured in feet, no more then 20 feet advantage, after travelling from spawn all the way to the center of the northwest hills of the map. 20 feet is not going to be enough to give the scout any advantage in position early game, let alone so much so that the rifleman couldn't counter this position advantage easily with his better weapons.

I can only hope that the engineer had the speed upgrade-- but even then, it doesn't matter, because the point of the stamina charge argument (at least as some people framed it) was that you could cover massive distances and win the early rush if you used it. If another class can take speed increase and get almost the same effect... that doesn't speak well for the skill.

You can bet your sweet ass I'm going to hop on the server later tonight, by myself, with a stopwatch in hand, and measure ALL speeds once and for all, scout and non scout, speed upgrade and stamina upgrade, the works. Who knows, they may be different. But the fact of the matter is that, at first glance, the extra stamina recovery does almost nothing in terms of covering extra distance, and it appears that in this regard, as a strategic skill, this scout ability is also useless.

I re-propose the speed boost.

AND BEFORE YOU SAY "Oh lobster is just pissed he lost a match," you know what I did after I got fed up sucking as a scout? I snuck down to enemy base as an engineer and set up a 4 lvl 1 ml fireworks and a barracks, changed to grenadier, killed their VF, and proceeded to end the game swiftly and painfully. And, guess what, not using the scout.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

lol sounds like we need a emp foot race pug..

3. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

don't bother, I'll be measuring the time it takes to go from point a to point b in all it's permutations with multiple trials and at multiple distances, as soon as i can get a stopwatch that doesn't suck and an empty server. Here's hoping I'm wrong and that the one incident above was somehow skewed.

4. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

it's not that you can run faster, it's that you can run fast more often

still your tests should have born that out.

5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

buttery foot science..

watch man next pug with 30 or 40 people try your luck on a classic map.. and then tell me you didnt kick ass as a scout

"ass as a" haha it looked funny had to write it agian

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Just fyi, i've found 1 sec on the sprint and 1 sec off keeps my stamina constant and makes me able to cover distances well. Just wanted to say I think it works better than depleting the stamina bar and refilling it (this doesn't really have much bearing on the topic, just a tip that may/may not work for ya). ;)

7. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Ikalx is right, because it leaves you with a full stamina bar the moment the action starts.

not as relaxing though.

8. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

it does not matter under normal conditions but if you have increased stamina, or are a scout, then it a waste of stamina increase. holding down for 1.5 secs then releasing for 1 would work better.