Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Shinzon, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

That was present in Windows XP. It was called "hibernate". It dumped your RAM to your HD, and proceeded to turn itself off.

Completely off.

I think you had to jump through hoops for that option to be available, though.

2. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

You simply hold shift at the shutdown screen and stand-by magically turns into hibernate.

3. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Oh.

I meant as a more permanent, less workaround-y option.

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Go into the power management screen and set the action you want there. My pc (XP) is set to hibernate when I press the power button on the front. Then, when I want to wake it up, I press the power button again. Within 20 seconds it's ready to use.

I'll be upgrading to Vista probably in 6 months time once support has increased and there are some decent drivers out.

5. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

The only time I'll touch Vista is AFTER I get high speed internet.

6. Terminal58

Terminal58 Member

Your idiocy is not getting a Windows Vista compatible computer not upgrading.

Also you misspelt idiocy

7. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

People, if you really really have the urge to install Vista on your computer then at least wait for the first service pack to come around. Do yourselves at least that small favor.

If you're wondering why Vista seems a bit sluggish and why it takes so goddamn long to get working drivers for it then perhaps your should take a good look on Digital Rights Management, which is running everywhere under Vistas hood.

Then there are all these neat little error bits that are there to catch non-working hardware. The problem is that there are small errors being made inside your computer all the time, but they're so small that they don't cause anything to happen. Except in Vista where the system catches these errors that normally cause no problems and crashes your system by itself thinking there's a huge problem with your hardware.

All of these things result in OVERHEAD. Lots of clock cycles used in stuff that has no benefit to the user, quite the contrary some of those things(DRM) are there to prevent you from doing things with your computer.

Personally I'm avoiding Vista as long as I can and trying to find an alternative in the meantime.

But do wait for the SP1 at least(or SP3 for XP).

Edit: Just in Vienna, Windows Vista Follow up in 2009. So I begin to wonder if Vista is actually just a flop like Windows ME was...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  8. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

God, I hope so. It would reinstill a little bit of my faith in consumers if it were.

Two years for a new version of Windows? Wasn't that around their original predictions for how long it would take them to make Vista?

EDIT:
    Oh lawdy, is dat sum buzzwords? Seriously, those two sentences alone border on college term paper linguististy.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  9. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Lordy.

I need high-speed internet. So I can use Windows for the only thing it's good at: Gaming.

Even then, I'll probably figure out how to get Empires to work in Wine...

10. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

A simple How To on getting Empires run under Linux(tested on Ubuntu 6.10, should work on most distributions that work out of the box):

1.Install OpenGL drivers for your video card.
    2.Install Wine.
    3.Configure Wine.
    4.Install Steam under Wine.
    5.Install HL2DM under Steam.
    6.Install Empires or copy the folder from your Windows installation by using some external medium like a USB memory stick.
    7.Profit!

Empires runs at playable speed(20 to 50 FPS) at dxlevel 70, but since I last played Empires under Linux there have been some updates on the D3D emulation part of Wine that should give out more power. Besides I've got an ATI card so it's probably quite slow because of bad drivers as well(there were several FireGL versions that simply refused to work).

This is just for general reference for those who are looking for alternatives. :) Everything Source based I've tested so far have mostly worked under Wine and the compatibility is getting better and better with each update.

Get Wine from here, if you wanna give it a shot.

11. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Very tempting Wereaser, maybe i'll do something crazy like that when my Windows box gets fixed

12. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Wereaser, re-compile your kernel to include support for reading NTFS volumes. Then, you shouldn't need silly USB memorwhatsits.

13. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

Must....install....linux...on...old....computer.....

anyone got a free monitor they dont need? pretty plz?

14. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Actually I just bought 19" TFT 30 minutes ago, but sadly my old CRT goes to my brother so no can do. :(

15. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I have a free monitor, but you're much better off scanning the classified section. It would be crazy expensive to ship a CRT anywhere.

I found a monitor on the street in the rain once, stored it in a buddies garage for a couple months. It still works. You can have that one if you wish.

16. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

17. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

my school is giving away free monitors. 800x600. CRTs.

18. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

An IT expert I know told me that Vista is already considered a flop.

I'm never getting Vista, until XP support is stopped completely, no game supports any DX version below 10 and my future self travels back in time to tell me I will die if I don't upgrade.

19. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I'm on vista...aside from the initial video ram mapping pains, I'm having no issues. Vista adoption is only going slow because companies just moved to XP not too long ago, and don't want to switch to vista. Desktop adoption is on par with XP.

Maybe you were too young to remember XP's initial launch, but I seem to remember it being just as rocky (no, worse. "OMFG CAN'T BURN CDS" come to mind, anyone?) Also, stats wise, Vista is suffering less spyware and viruses. Maybe that's because it isn't popular enough, maybe that's because its that much more robust.

Vista has its issues, its had others that have since been resolve, and it has its quirks, none of which I see to be killers. Its just a lot of people bashing it because its cool to bash it. Most people I read who want to say its no good...have not used Vista (no joke, either) and have not spent hours up looking over specs and changes.

20. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member