Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Shinzon, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

I like pie.

Oh, yes, uhm... If anyone asks... I'm still running '95.

Except I'm not.

2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Not sure if there's a way to disable it but when my brother tried to run one on his laptop, a vista box came up saying that vista has disabled this function or something =o

3. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

What are you talking about? Im running Oblivion of a virtual drive right now...

One more thing in Vistas defence is that the freaking thing is a lot more responsive (As in it doesnt randomly stall and wait; windows pop up really fast) , it boots up twice as fast and it has a sick sleep mode in which the computer "Truns off" but all of the data is still saved and is the way you left once you press the power button...

Side Note:

Aero Glass lags and sucks... I truned it off...

4. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Oh, Christ, you didn't buy the Upgrade version, did you? Because if so, your XP license is now invalid, and you'll have to install XP again to install Vista, which could be a problem if you don't actually have the XP install discs, or a problem even if you do, as your XP license is now, you know, invalid.

So how about that DRM?

5. Razorbud

Razorbud Coder

:eek: Oh f*ck, Thank you so much for this info
    I have a new computer coming this week with XP prof & vista upgrade disk from dell and had no idea the XP license would go belly up once vista was installed. No way am I upgrading the OS now

6. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

*coughboughtcoughwhowherecough*?

Thats the upgrade version, I think if you install vista on its own seperate partition you can still have both of them on the same computer; thats what I should have done...

7. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

8. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

<filler>

9. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

eh, all that trash is from anti-windows geeks *oknoslappingmeplzkthnxbia*

my friend got a brand new gateway laptop with vista. I have to say, other then lagging a few times because the laptop itself doesnt have the best hardware, its pretty sleek. Its just alot easier to get around and stuff.

10. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

I have begun to find that troubling software becomes a lot less annoying when it's free.

11. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

It is still very annoying considering that every other piece of software is dependant on the other one... Still very annoying :p

12. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

To the first thing: Does that mean Microcrap FINALLY FIXED THEIR BROKEN SHITTY-ASS THREADING MODEL?

To the "sleep state" thing: Nothing new here. It's called hibernate. It was available in XP. Maybe even in 2k.

Nothing new here.

Move along.

13. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Why do you think that Windows threading model is broken?

14. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

I have no idea what the Vista thread model is like, but sir, if you don't know what that HT buzz was all about in the P4 series, you live under a rock.

15. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

HT was a hack to make something like multi core CPUs without actually spending that much money. What does it have common with Vista threading model? Do you at least know what it is?

16. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

First off, I did a quick check on the microsoft site...

If you buy Windos Vista upgrade, you DO NOT need a version of windows installed...you can do a clean install with a Win Vista upgrade disc. Its been like this since at least Windows 95. During the clean install, the setup will ask you to insert a previous copy of windows into your optical drive, it will check it, and then install like normal.

Sadly though, it does invalidate your XP key...that's why you get MS to send you a replacement XP disc and get a second key for XP Pro for free (long story short, I ended up getting a replacement disc for my XP Pro upgrade a few years ago...they sent me a full copy of XP Pro, along with a matching key. I now have 2 XP Pro keys...for the price of less than one. Heh!)

I won't touch Vista till SP1 though...

Side not, Alcohol 120%'s emulation software works seemlessly on Vista.

17. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

HT may have accomplished it's task by making one processor LOOK like two, but it's true purpose was as a workaround to the Windows thread model.

Like I mentioned, I have no idea if the Vista thread model has finally improved things. All I know is that it's pretty damn sad if a CPU manufacturer can make money off workarounds for your operating system's threading model.

18. Deiform

Deiform Member

Nice to know virtual drives are possible. I think it's safe to say that most 'normal' people will not buy Vista too soon without MS using subliminal messaging. I think I waited about 3 years until I upgraded from 98 when XP came out....

Ahh, what a day that was..."Wtf! What have they done to the start menu...oh I see what they've done....that's a bit crap."

19. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

The new sleep mode shuts off power to your machine; so you have to physicaly press the power button in order to "Wake it Up"

No amount of space bar mashing or mouse jerking will wake it up from this new mode, only if you press the power button is if you are turning it on...

Ofcourse the old sleep is still there, but it goes into the new sleep after a short while it has been in the old sleep...

20. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

Windows+Theology=Vista?