Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Shinzon, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Well in my idiocity I have upgraded to Vista under the pretense that "I will have to do it sooner or later".

Well after an install that took 3 hours, with a crash at the end that didnt say the error I had to go use 3rd party software to find the driver that was causing Vista install to crash and remove it manualy, and then continue an install for another half hour...

My general Vista experience so far has been just like advertised "Wow" as in Wow- this sucks, and lags...

But then again people had the general mind set about XP when it came out

Your thoughts? Your comments on my stupidity upgrading to this OS?

2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

You're stupid for upgrading so soon. Lack of drivers = lack of stable games + there isn't much software out for it yet. Wait a few months before upgrading next time.

3. Simon

Simon Banned

I won't upgrade probably untill I get a directx10 computer.... IE a long ass fucking time.

4. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

can you still play empires?

5. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I'm actually thinking of switching to linux this time around. Heard too many sucky things about vista and not just about the performance.

6. arklansman

arklansman Member

I'm getting it when I get a new computer at the end of this summer.

7. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Well the performance issues are mostly due to nvidia and ATI for not having any good drives out for Vista, I'm waiting a few months until they do, but I am going to upgrade, besides I get it for free.

8. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

PC World did a few tests (using average dual-core, mid-range systems) and Vista actually ran slower in games, but a little faster in things like 3DMax and Adobe Premier and the like. Interesting.

9. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

If it doesn't supports older video cards it's a no, if DX10 won't work on other OS's it's a no. If Vista runs slow it's a no. I say no.

10. ^Dee^

doesn't seem to support virtual drives apparantly :o

11. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

a guy in my clan gave it a pretty damn good review. im gonna see how it is a little later today at my friends house.

12. Deiform

Deiform Member

Bit-tech do a pretty in-depth analysis, it pretty much says that everything runs slower on Vista apart from a couple of things (compared to XP obviously), and it has a cool alt-tab which they got straight from Mac. Oh, and some weird encryption thing is apparently alright.

All in all, what a brilliant piece of ingenuity! Microsoft managed to release an unsupported operating system that runs slower than the previous generation.

13. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

well, there probably gonna patch it. unless you switch to linux (mac is not an option), then you have to upgrade within 5 years.

im gonna get another HD and put linux on that anyways :P

14. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

RE: what they tested it on

I get that newer dual-core multiprocessor computers are faster at doing multiple things at once. Wouldn't a one processor computer with a faster CPU still be faster at running the game?

EDIT: how long to you think we can hold out in XP? When will stuff stop being created for it?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  15. ^Dee^

probably within the next year or two providing vista takes off.

Not really sure though as vista has a lot of restrictions which I doubt will go over too well with many people.

16. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

One thing that warms my heart about vista is the first error message on start up was

"Warning the current drivers are incomadible with Vista" and it listed all of the Starforce drivers... Hahahahah... Starforce got borked by Vista...

17. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Well, if that's true, then I won't switch. That's mosly because there's no more hardware abstraction layer to dick around with tho.

18. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Software for Windows is usually complete piece of shit. It's normal that when next Windows version is released software that was depending on bugs is broken. There's also lot of whining about Microsoft products. Vista of course uses more RAM but every new Windows release required newer hardware.

I installed Vista RC1 more or less 3 months ago. It works ok except:
    - cygwin is broken
    - ATI didn't release drivers with OpenGL support. I get something like 50% of fps from XP in natural selection and other HL1 mods.

Somehow crashing bug due to alt-tab got fixed or kind of fixed (looks like caused by new drivers).

19. Damian

Damian Member

Simple, get a mac.

[​IMG]

20. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

OK, a few things...

Right now, gaming performance is around 10% LESS than WinXP. This is partially due to DX10 issues, partially to hardware, partially to Win Vista bugs, partially at the games design. It will even out....eventually.

Otherwise - a lot of stuff will eventually come around. Its expected that you won't find stuff like drive emulators right away, as it is a TOTAL redesign of the OS. So...avoid it. For at LEAST 6 months.

In its defense, Vista looks to have a lot of good new features, and should be quite a bit more secure than XP.

Get a mac? Um. No. How about you can't get most games to work on a mac as it is Unix based. Good OS for a workstation. But not for a world that is based on Windows. And those STUPID apple ads are well...stupid and annoying. Hmm..I want to create a photo album...lets see....that's REALLY FRIGGEN EASY.