New Commanders

Discussion in 'General' started by BigTeef, Apr 14, 2014.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

It turns into that thread again...

2. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

Maybe if we say it enough you retards will stop ignoring the perfectly valid idea.

Or not but we could still say we were right.

3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

You remember when flasche said something like...smaller servers lead to more stacking (in the server player limit thread) and people were like...critical mass, law of averages, everything works out!

Yeah, well, this is one of those times where I have to say LoL.

Also Empires is always full of people who would rather bitch than comm. Full of people who just like to blame others or stack, and who are actually really weak because they just can't take any sort of challenge. They're actually one of the reasons I look for the unstacked team, because getting a team of newbies to crush some prats who are so scared of playing fair that they wet themselves, is hilarious. And having them rage and blame other people the next round is doubly hilarious.

But really, anyone who cares about the future of Empires will take the time not to be crappy about it. The sad thing is that it's always been outweighed by people who want to see the mod die.

4. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I actually agree with the forced teams idea.

5. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I have admitted I'm a dick and flame people. But I never flame new people directly I just tell the entire team they are retarded. Never target a single new person. For stacking wise, I always counterstack teams at the start of the game. Calling me a stacker cause people join me is kind of stupid.

6. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I love how all stackers have the excuse "other vets just stack on my team after i have joined, cause i'm so awesome".

7. Reznov

Reznov Member

Doesnt work in current version. You just wait till, i.e. stacked team and bad team get even numbers, then try the "Assign Random Team" button.

If you are in stacked team, good.
    If you are not, rejoin server and wait in unassigned for another go.

Even if you force such an enhanced balance system, you would deny all friends/groups to be together in a team which is a negative.

---

Stacking wouldn't be a problem if new players would actually turn out to be semi-human players. I think most of the new players just don't use proper logic nowadays.

I learned Empires by mostly playing Engineer, watching and learning what happens around me, figure out the controls, try out several vehicles by my own and listen to the communication going on between people ingame.

If people need to be held by their hands to learn the game, that is fine aswell as long as he/she is going to listen to things we say, even if we sound mad when mistakes they made cause problems to the team.

But if it's one of those guys that acts like a jerk from the beginning, ignoring anything we say because we are to "harsh" to them, getting in CVs and not wanting to listen to us and keep complaining about how mean we are to him then I really don't have patience.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  8. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Coming from a bro that barely plays or sees me play it doesn't mean much, if you are in the game with me you know I'm always one of the first to join a team so suck a dick.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I get a LOT of new players to listen and a lot of them make a good effort at playing well with fair to excellent results.

You speak of logic, but with a lot of new things - and especially in a crazy game like Empires, sometimes people need to be shown what IS logically possible in the game so they can go forward. And it doesn't help that people raeg at them, so they are under pressure to learn faster or be labelled as a retard and waste of space.

Reznov, your last paragraph speaks of noobs. Noobs need to be shut down immediately and shown just how little sense they make. Newbies on the other hand, don't deserve to be stacked against or raged at. AND, in my experience, it's actually quite easy to turn a newbie into a noob, just crap over them a few times - like many players do, and hey presto, you have more of what you don't want.

Then maybe a few years down the line they show a bit of a glimmer of the newbie they once were, rather than the noob, and try to do something helpful for Empires. We all know prats in this community who are actually helpful, well, what helped them be such a dick until that point is frickin' vets screwing them over all the time.

Seriously, I hate you guys sometimes. There's logic for you. Cause and effect.

10. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I was going to say that I thought this thread was turning into a circlejerk and then I remembered what the OP was. Seems like this is on topic, then.

McGyver: I love how all stackers have the excuse "other vets just stack on my team after i have joined, cause i'm so awesome".
    Paradox: "Other vets stack on my team after I have joined, cause I'm so awesome"

In all seriousness, this excuse is dumb, and while Paradox does usually join a team early on, I would never attribute any stacking to any single person. Stacking is, firstly, a community effort, not an individual. Sometimes it is done without knowledge, other times it is a conscious effort by a group.
    That's all there is to it.

Oh, and to prevent Trickster's ego from deflating, sometimes a few people join the team that does not contain you in the hopes of shutting you down. So if you really want to, you can say that both teams get stacked because of you.

11. Silk

Silk Mapper

Can't comment on stacking, cause I have no f*cking clue who's a good player and who isn't so I never know if a game is stacked (skill wise). I will swap teams if I notice the other team has lost some players and is undermanned though.

Commanding ... well I'll never command. Reason one is I don't use a mic which I feel is required to command. Reason two is I suck at it. Reason three is people will bitch and complain about me sucking ... which I actually can understand to a point, as my actions can ruin a game for 20 other people. Yet it's the only way to gain experience but that's not how others see it.

Worst part is having a new ommander on one team, while the other team has a vet. Two new commanders is usually quite fun actually.

12. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Yeah, I generally suck at any RTS as well. Even more so if I can't really control my units. ;P

13. 101010

101010 Member

Can we just make it so that you can only see your teams score until the map ends?
    So that way you can't even see who is on a team until you join it.

14. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

silk its impossible you suck more then a comm without any clue. the time you spent playing this makes it hard to believe. you might not be as responsive as someone who commands each other round, but thats just something you need to get used to again, four rounds and noone will notice a difference.
    a mic is handy but no absolute must, theres shit comms babbling all round saying nothing of value, theres silent guys handling all the shit super well.

stop feeling responsible for a loss. yeah people will blame you for all sorts of things, sometimes it really is your fault, most of the time it isnt* - compaired to normal RTS empires skill requirement is laughable.
    its just something someone who isnt completely new to the game has to do. its neither fun nor the big game changer, you can be the best comm in the world, if your team wouldnt hit a barndoor form a meter theres fuck all you can do.
    if you dont feel like the big strategist, theres always players more then willing to fit the role, tell them youd rather have field comms and decent squadleaders - as long as its not all decent players against you, people are well capable of organizing themselfs.

*in the end its still better to have a comm that doesnt give directions then none or some new player who just lacks the experience it needs.

15. FN198

FN198 Member

I feel like a certain duck (not a daruck) here but lowering the maxplayers of both epic and viper to 32 visible with however many needed invisible admin slots would alleviate the stacking issue and many other things. Forcing teams does nothing good and even repels players who just want to play with their friends. You can't make a player want to join a team. Could we please stop suggesting this idea as a solution? because it really isn't one. It's even been tried before and proven not to work.

This and a hundred times more, this. It's harder to be as mad at a comm for losing a smaller game than it is to be mad at a comm for losing a big one. The people who 'rage' are the ones who make the cv a very, very cold chair to sit in. The chilling effect of 'omg what happens if i lose' repels a large portion of novice commanders. That admins ban players for fucking up on occasion compounds the chilling effect even more.

New commanders don't have any place in a big game. They slow the game down for at least half of the server and make for a really stupid match. They drive their cv's into traps or get ninja'd without putting up a fight. Just as you can't go from flying single propeller planes to flying multi turbine passenger airlines, new players can't go from commanding 5v5's on the commander training server to winning 21v21's on the main servers. There has to be a better gradual progression, or else we won't see any new commanders.

16. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

omfg fn your sig is adorable. you are just paranoid though. there is no elaborated conspiracy going on, theres just people with different opinions. cw doesnt really exist for years now ...

i know our opinions differ dramatically, we had a lot of arguments and we never got along well. dont be frightened though ...

... want a cookie?

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

18. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Rofl, is Megel really doubting evolution or am i misinterpreting? Where is Krenzo's Twitter? :D

19. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

"The second"

Rofl, I though that shit was stereotype only.

20. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

You're misinterpreting, he's suggesting the exact opposite.