Crowdsource A Trailer

Discussion in 'Art' started by complete_, Mar 30, 2014.

1. complete_

complete_ lamer

- welp, couldn't post this in community requests. that sucks.

Goal: 30 second teaser at the very least

No one seems to have enough time to put together a trailer themself, so it seems like a good idea to get everyone to pitch in a little something which we can then put into a nice showcase of what Empires can be.

For reference: The last trailer was for 2.2. I think thats all I need to say.

Some ground rules:

Custom maps allowed (not stupid shitty ones, like rainbow)
    Capture some of the nicer maps (ie: not plunge or the many others like it)
    NO MIC SOUNDS (you can turn this off in settings under Voice)
    HUD OFF (cl_draw 0) EXCEPT FOR COMMANDERS

Consistency:
    Now, how good would a trailer look if its look varied from clip to clip. Real shitty. Which is why its nessisary to have the same settings across the board.

Video settings:
    All settings set to max (HDR/bloom/motion shit off)
    1080p (if some of you cant manage this we can downgrade to 720p)

Now here's where to gets a little more hard

Fraps settings:
    Disable monitor aero desktop
    No overlays

After you capture your clip, the size will be huge. Next step is where you decrease the size while retaining top quality.

YOU WILL NEED TO DOWNLOAD AVIDEMUX 2.5 32BIT FOR THIS STEP (not the newest one, CONSISTENCY)
    AVIDEMUX settings:
    Once you use these settings, a 30 second clip would be around 30mbs

Are you capturing from spec?
    If so, please do not move your camera at all while capturing, as it is very jarring and impossible to seem seamless.
    If you wish to make it seamless, you can demo smooth. Here's a youtube video on how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICXPs0MjKuk

What We Need:
    Vehicle battle clip (first person or spec)
    Command view clip (hud will need to be on)
    Infantry battles
    Using the GUI (I guess customizing a vehicle? Hud would need to be on)
    Of course this is just to give you an idea. Other clips are welcome, as long as they fit the specifications

Music:
    I have no idea where to find good music to use in a trailer for a video game, let alone royalty free music. I'm hoping one of you can point us to a nice piece of music that would fit in a video game

Editing:
    Would need someone to edit the clips together to create a cohesive and nice trailer (unless you are content with me using Windows Movie Maker and taking forever to finish)

I HAVE DEMOS!!!!!
    Demos are welcome to be posted, but please specify the exact tickrate where an actual thing happens. Its no fun to go through a 30 minute match to find something useful.

Of course, here's what I currently have:
    Coast apc with demo smoothing
    Eastborough squad with demo smoothing
    Mvalley tank with demo smoothing
    SoF first person gameplay 1
    SoF first person gameplay 2
    SoF first person gameplay 3
    SoF first person gameplay 4

And I have others that I have not yet converted.

So how about it? Any volunteers?

2. complete_

complete_ lamer

if i skipped over anything important let me know

3. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Check if someone has a demo of the tank rush from yesterday. I think that'd be perfect for this.

4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

There are songs in the game files that aren't currently used composed by werihukka that you could use as music. There's some good guitar solos in there.

Alternatively, liquid-hop-funk

5. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Jesus Fuck, I hope someone has a demo.

It really was some ride of the valkyries shit. Perfect song and I'm pretty sure it's free.

Quick cuts into the LT rush and back out to other maps & gameplay situations:

• Black screen w/disclaimer: "Empires is a teamwork-based video game and all footage is from real gameplay."
    • Start with a 3-5s establishing clip of Trickster yelling at people to build tanks in front of the VF (make sure LTs are visible).
    • A green foresty map (canyon,forest,etc) with heavy tank combat explosions for another 2-3s.
    • Showing someone customizing a superlight while Trickster bitches about how to build a superlight.
    • An APC, MG blazing, zipping around a watery shore (cyclo, palmbay,etc) for a few sec.
    • Show an LT being built from the duststorm VF (preferably the 1st or 2nd, before we had 18 of them crammed together).
    • 1st person shot of a rifleman inside a BE rax raping people for 2-3s.
    • Back to a shot of the LTs crammed together with Trickster saying, "Ok let's go" (or whatever he actually said) and starting to drive.
    • A clip of 3rd person district (or another urban infantry map) with typical infantry craziness for 2-3s.
    • Show the mass of LTs driving toward BE main with the enemy base in view for 2-3s.
    • Back to some bullshit filler of something else fun.
    • Now the LTs are chasing BE CV. Trickster is yelling to kill it.
    • More filler.
    • Bullshit this bit: Show a ton of LTs actually killing the BE CV (this didn't happen in that exact clip, but w/e).
    • Then switch to third person and stare at the smoking BE CV for a bit while Trickster says something calm and soothing about everyone working together or whatever.

Narrative? Check. All map types present? Check. Fast paced for ADD generation? Check. Prominently features Trickster? Check.

gg let's go home

6. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I don't have a 1080p monitor, or rather its a 4:3 monitor, so I can't just record stuff my self. I can just make a demo file and someone with a decent monitor can just replay it at the right resolution right? That is like the only way I can contribute really.

7. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

8. Space_Oddity

Okay so I had a whole fucking orchestral rock arrangement going and then Reaper crashed. Fucking hell.

9. Silk

Silk Mapper

I'm fine recording demo's and going through them looking for interesting stuff, but I prefer to have someone else record and compress it.

I just know if I compress it myself, some options here and there will be different and it won't match up with other clips.

Of course the problem with demo's is that the recorder has to keep his hands on the keyboard and mouse to close down gui menu's as they often don't close automatically in a demo

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  10. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I dare say I could provide some skillful inf ones, but I have a 1680x1050 so its probably a bust.

"I'll write some thirty second musical nuggets for this and post them up. Good practice."

Holy crap, the offshots had some actual work done for them?

11. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Huh...someone actually uses reaper. Nice.

13. Space_Oddity

It's almost as usable as Logic, it runs on Windows and if you report a problem they fix in it like two days. Reaper is the best.

Also the free trial is infinite.

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yeah, I finally got into it with a free course a few months back. I'm a newb at sound but once I got my head around Reaper it feels pretty nice to use.

15. Space_Oddity

Learn how to use compression and reverb. Everything falls into place after that.

Also try and find a VST called Edirol; it's buggy as fuck and will eat up all your resources but you won't find a better orchestral VST.

16. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Tell me if you need some props or animations for it.

17. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i think a trailer should point out empires unique features. something similar to the x series fight-trade-build sceme should fit nicely.

id start with some scenery shots, camera slowly paning over recognizable map features.

then comes a title - "fight" - followed by some basic battle scenes on various maps, infantry, vehicles - no researched stuff though, this comes later

next title "customize" - show some gui stuff, infantry classes, vehicle customization

next "command" - show comm stuff, how buildings are created and order units around, show research menu

next "dominate" - quick shots of upgraded shit that blows up stuff, heavy tanks, nukes, arty impact and the cvs blowing up

and then finally something like empires get on steam blahblah bullshit.

also make sure the cuts start slow and get faster and faster ;)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  18. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I want to see a shot of mediums rolling out of the BE VF, like this old image I made way back in the day
    [​IMG]
    but looking from the side of the VF.

19. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

would fit the start of the dominate part of my "script" perfectly ;)

20. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I think you and me have to be two of the few people who even know and like that game. xD

But yeah, I really like that concept.