The new iPhones

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by McGyver, Sep 10, 2013.

1. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Apple just presented their iPhones and like every year at this time i'm almost convinced that this year i will get one. But then i look at the prices and like every year i ask myself if they are completely crazy over there.

Only 700€ for the unlocked iPhone 5S with whopping 16GB! But don't worry, this year Apple also offers a cheaper iPhone 5C made out of glossy plastic. It has the same internals as last years iPhone but looks cheap and you can buy it unlocked for the extremely good price of...

FUCKING 600 EUROS!

Wow, this will make Apple dominate the 'mid-range'.

/rant

2. Sitka

Sitka Member

yeah i quite liked the iphone 5. That iphone 6 really was the best phone i've had. unlike other phones, my iphone 7 can do a whole lot of useless shit that the previous iphone 8 couldn't. that is why the new iphone 9 is surely the way to go if you want a nice shiny glass thing that you touch.
    screw android, get an iphone 16.

/iphone 43

3. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Why do you even like apple shit in the first place?

5. McGyver

Because it delivers exactly what i want from a smartphone: a very good camera in a light and small form factor. There is no equivalent in the Android world that delivers that.

Dimensions of the Xperia Z1: 144x74x8.5mm 170 gramms
    Dimensions of the iPhone: 123.8x58.6x7.6mm 112 gramms

6. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I keep losing my smartphone, my insurance are getting upset.
    I want one of those smartphone watches that's coming out so I can stop losing it and look like a secret agent fag

7. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Because Apple is pushing the envelope?

They have the first ARMv8 CPU (an updated Swift called "A7") in the iPhone 5S.

I believe the timetable seeing Qualcomm's ARMv8 stuff & A53/A57-based SoCs in phones is like mid 2014. Maybe shit is coming along sooner but it looks like Apple is definitely in the lead on this one.

But let's ignore all of that legitimately competitive Android-fucking and pretend that Apple sucks just because they're Apple.

And a very good everything-else.

It's a damn shame that there are no high-end Android phones trying to compete with the iPhone's form factor.

A lot of people like to say that bigger screens are better, but you're right that bigger screens don't contribute a damn to the camera.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  8. Fooshi

9. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

AppleNigger, I'm not saying there is absolutely no merit to the price, but what I am saying is that you are willing to pay retarded amounts of cash for shit you don't even need.

A fast cpu? what exactly are you going to use that for? Its a phone, you are not going to be compiling software with that.
    Lightweight? Wait what? Unless we are talking huge ass models, phones now are lightweight anyway. There is no diffrence ther unless you are some kind of giant wimp or have hand muscle atrophy.
    As for the camera- I dont know, I never really use the cameras anyway so Im going to reserve my judgement here, but logic suggests that above several mpix the diffrence is hardly noticable if at all.

10. ImSpartacus

Don't put up some strawman. You can't say, "I'm not saying ..." if you didn't say anything in the first place. You just asked why Apple isn't shit and left yourself a nice big hole for a strawman.

Modern SoCs bring a lot more than just "speed."

Battery life improves, connectivity improves, and all-around feature set improves.

Why do you think phones have just happened to all implement good noise cancelling around the same time? New SoCs started to support it!

Shit like that is why it's nice to have a new SoC, not some arbitrary "speed" measure.

It's not about the weight. We all know phones are light. Quit your fucking strawman horseshit of ignoring the actual argument and adding in a weaker one.

It's about the bulk. That's why McGyver mentioned that first.

Bulk matters. Ignoring that ultrabooks and thin phones are fucking amazing doesn't make you a cool little hipster.

The megapixel count didn't even change.

You know what did change? Sensor size. That's a big fucking deal. More sensor means more light is let in. More light means more "stuff" to add to the image.

And yeah, I totally called this one. I'm sorry that Apple being one of the first to put it in a high-end phone means that it's automatically shit.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  11. complete_

complete_ lamer

android phones are getting too big

12. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Fuck smartphones people, go on holiday.

Gimme a real innovation - Taser in my phone, or a laser microphone. Even better - a signal jammer so I don't have to worry about people stopping every 5 minutes to facebook/instagram/vine anything remotely amusing.

Also complete - the Viper main server port changed. Your sig is broken. Now resides on 99.198.97.162:27109

13. Fooshi

Good thing companies are continously shitting out "Mini" versions of their premium alternative left and right, all day erryday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ImSpartacus

Unfortunately, these "mini" (and sometimes even the "maxi" versions) are mid-range shit.

If you want a compact high-end phone, the iPhone is your only option.

15. McGyver

I know all the mini options in the Android world since that is the segment i'm interested in. The HTC mini in black was my favourite for months, then it got finally released and it turned out that its camera is shit. The S4 mini is a valid option, but has a less then perfect screen and 8GB of built in storage is not enough considering Android is discouraging putting apps on the SD-card wherever it can. Also that glossy plastic...

The Xperia Z1 mini is still in speculation land and i waited long enough for the HTC One mini only to be disappointed.

16. Fooshi

There's barely any difference. Same chip, same performance. Fancy benchmark numbers don't say shit and the only thing the "Mini" versions lack is space (which is why SD cards are great) and the occasional lower MP count. It's the same shit. Does the interface lag? Don't use a shitty launcher like TouchWiz.

Stuffing a 2GHz quad in a smartphone to run that bloated piece of shit called "stock Samsung/LG/Sony/HTC" ROM with decent performance is beyond fucking retarded.

Have a Galaxy S3 lying around on it's original ROM? Root, install recovery, wipe that shit and get proper Android on your device, like Cyanogenmod.

17. complete_

complete_ lamer

gud 2 no

18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i still dont see me buying a new phone in the next couple of years. maybe if they teach them how to cook coffee, thatd be a killer feature ...

19. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I bought the HTC one a week ago. Fucking this phone is incredible. Beats the iPhone 5 my mum has anyday of the week.

20. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I don't really need 8megapix + w/e camera to help me find ants on the ground, while costing a lot of redundant storage space.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22159878/20130908_115310.jpg
    *galaxy tab 3megapix*

The price of iPhone5c/s is just ridiculous. I don't see why it's worthy.
    Agree with flasche, there's really no reason to buy another smartphone, if you already have a recent one.

Paradox, good luck with your HTC, their quality control isn't very impressive and the company is going down badly. Help This Company
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22159878/HTCnewone.png

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013