wanna revive empires?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dubee, Jan 18, 2012.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

where can i vote for you?

edit:
    oh this isnt the elections thread ...

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I'm hoping that a lot of the above shit Deadpool posted is fixed with the new armours but we'll only know after playtesting.

Asz, you're pretty smart, so I'm a bit confused here. Firstly, most of examples you gave are in scripts, research, weapons, building stats, etc. And it's pretty much common knowledge that we're constantly hitting rock bottom in terms of coding time. Jephir and Beerdude are doing the very best they possibly can, but neither of them have a decent amount of time, we just don't have the staff to do anything major right now. And finally, it's also pretty common knowledge that we can't release any source or anything like that, because we have steamworks stuff in there under NDA to Valve. If we were a properly licensed source game then we could do something, but as a mod, there's not a huge amount of room. Not to mention that splitting an already very small community into different versions of the same game is a bad idea.

And let's be honest, AI is the least important thing anyone can possibly think about right now. It's just totally unimportant in comparison with other things that need doing.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  3. Comand'zorz' Asz

Comand'zorz' Asz Member

I posted that at a time of day when I should not be allowed to post... but sill maybe I'll dig around the (extracted sourcemod style) Empires folder n see what I can find.
    I think I failed to make my argument...in fact that post is a rambling fail. My idea was using rudimentary singleplayer to teach nooblets the ropes, therefore enriching the community...or something.

Wait, signing up to Steamworks puts an NDA over YOUR (and past Empires devs) code?

P.S. Deadpool use
    on that I thought you forgot about infinite ammoz tnaks.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  4. Trickster

No but there's pretty integral bits of code we have to add that are under NDA. It's theoretically possible to open up other bits but it's a lot of hassle from what I understand.

5. Catface

Catface Member

Since when is Empires dead?

There are literally countless of Source mods besides Empires that started years after Empires was first released on Source and who's developer teams can only wish for their mods to have even half the amount of people that play Empires.

Yes, arguably it aren't the old days anymore when during weekends one could expect to see 2 full servers on at once.

But Empires is not dead and has never been dead.

Many people will return once the next version is released, and to be exact, the current development has been more active and competent then any other team since Krenzo and Coffee left.

All this "Empires is dead!" moaning and whining by people that don't even play Empires any more is akin to trolling.

6. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

I think getting rid of the current horrible VGUI design would attract more people. Replace it with one of Nesquiko's custom ones.
    Considering the amount of deaths it has caused while being in the VF trying to build something, just to get punched in the face by someone you did not see because of the big blue wall of blockingness no punctuation for the win.

7. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

theres an idea....

8. Reznov

Reznov Member

I don't know Nesquiko's VGUI but Fooshi is rite. Add it to RC9, can't be dat difficult. I mean Empty's particles are already a huge fckin success. (Except for the mortar, that just looks OP as fck, makes me feel OP too.)

9. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

player numbers might not be that low but before when they were low (1.073) development was still super active and there were gamebreaking bugs. The mods not dead but its dying. It happens to everything not that big of a deal its been a pretty long run so far and it will probably keep going for a while but unless development picks up again significantly empires is past its heyday.

10. Catface

Catface Member

:cry: Empires is dying!

No.

Empires is not dying, was not dying, and won't be dying as long as there is no serious competition.

I can think of only 2 fps/rts hybrids besides Empires, one is a ~10 year old space shooter/rts and the other is some fantasy game with rpg elements and with a lot less in-depth gameplay then Empires.

Let's be honest here: There are a lot of people that want to play rts/fps hybrids(maybe just a few in comparison to the player bases mainstream RTS and FPS games have, but nevertheless a sizeable amount) and there are frankly not a lot of games to choose from.

tl;dr

Empires isn't dead, wasn't dead and won't be dead as long as there isn't any serious competition in the field of RTS/FPS hybrids out there.

11. Trickster

Pretty sure I said, on a number of occasions, Nesquiko GUI skin is being added, it just needs a bit of work, and we only just got the source files from him this weekend.

12. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Development is ongoing

AINT DEAJUD NJIGGA

13. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

u mean like ns2 or that other one w/e

anyways games don't usually die out completly that often you can still find people playing hl1 mods that were even in their heyday somewhat obscure.

the point is a game is either growing or dying

empires might get some spurts of life with new patches or new life with a complete overhaul but as it stands the mod is in a dying phase. We peaked in the 2.0ish range. Its how game lifecycles go they usually don't completely die out for a super long time

14. Catface

Catface Member

NS is hardly comparable to Empires.

Sorry, I am still not seeing this "dying fase".

If anything, the developer team is more active then ever, old clans are being revived and I occasionally still see new people around, to be exact, I think we can speak of a small revival here rather then a dying fase.

I honestly am clueless as to what you are trying to accomplish here with all of this.

Nor can I recall actually having seen you play in the last few months.

15. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Instead of telling the devs what to do, look at what you can do.
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=16166

16. Trickster

No, Simon has valid points for the most part. But I mean, NS1 for example, hasn't had an update in a long, long, long time, and there's still like 300 people playing it sometimes.

Dying or growing makes no difference as long as I've got a good game with a decent server to play on, and I can scrim.

17. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

The perception of Empires as dying, static, or growing is probably all relative to whether you actually play the game yourself.

18. communism

communism poof

simon gettin punked like a lil` bitch

19. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

plz

call it like i see it. not a bad thing all games die. its been a long run and it will probably go on for a while but there's no denying players are leaving quicker than new players are coming in. I do look at the server list every once and a while.

20. Catface

Catface Member

Old vets will return if the quality of the average Empires match is increased.

I for once got my self to join a team of noobs instead of stacking a team full of vets.

Needless to say, at the end of the round I was almost foaming at the mouth and shouting like that angry German kid.

The amount of retardation drained me so much that I couldn't get my self to play for another round.

There are simply too many clueless noobs fucking around and ruining the game for people that actually want to have serious matches.

Not only that; I can stand it if people are not that experienced and are still learning the game mechanics, but I can't stand it if a bunch of noobs aren't even trying, do not speak English and are being extremely detrimental to the team's interests.

Organise a PUG or a scrim and you will have a full server.

There is a reason for that.