wanna revive empires?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dubee, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Make a spin off mod about grens only. All this talk about the mowtar dance and how epic battles were. We could have wide open maps and smaller district type maps built around mowtar battles in mind. It would be simple fun and easy on computers.

What do you guys think? I have suggested this before but now that empires is basically dead I think its the perfect time to revisit it.

2. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

Empires is not dead yet. And it wouldn't be empires anymore if you take out everything that's empires and leave the mortar.

But I would probably enjoy a gren only map with that in mind.

3. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I guess I am referring empires as in the community. If you want this crazed fan base to stick around and actually play, we need something fun like a mowtar spin off. I bet that would revive this community and bring in tons of noobs. There is a certain luck and skill behind one on one mowtar battles that will keep people coming back for more. The simplicity of it would mean no how to become turretz or greifing. It's damn near fail proof

4. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

I remember I staged a scout-rifle only match, on Kane's server.

Fun times...too damn bad the...feature...was fixed.

5. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

You don't need a spinoff mod for it.
    Hell, an early version of minigames had gren only in it.
    All I would have to do would be to remove the pistols and it would be gold.
    That is when I will finish the update of the map, I'm currently lying low with it for the moment :)

6. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

people will get bored really fast and ask for new classas and new weaps etc

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Or just have gren only maps and have a gren server and stuff. one on one gren fights are fun as shit so I'd endorse a gren only server.

8. Empty

Empty Member

This makes me think we should occasionally have rounds where everyone is forced into one class. It'd be interesting.

A rifleman only match would be pretty funny, buildings would take eternities to make and destroy.

9. LordDz_2

Pretty sure the is a server commands to disable certain weapons, use it to disable all but the mortar, scout rifle etc, and you're go.

10. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I want commander only maps where everyone gets a CV.

11. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

No, that would be horrific. You're giving me nightmares.

12. LordDz_2

Monobattles! :d

13. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

whoever chooses mutalisk wins...

14. LordDz_2

Banelings ftw!

15. Empty

Empty Member

Marines
    Thors
    Stalkers
    Phoenix
    Corruptors
    Mutas
    Hydras (LOL)

All counter mutas.

16. LordDz_2

Infestors cause the people who play Monobattles always clumps up their units in one ball.

17. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

TF2 unprompted heavies only, on one side, it was one of the funniest rounds I had in online gaming. (that was when sandwiches were still endless amount)

18. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Only use mutas to harrass expansions and the worker lines, let your teammates do all the fighting, and anyways who chooses thors in monobattles.

19. Comand'zorz' Asz

Comand'zorz' Asz Member

Simple source mods are probably pretty easy to make, Dubee. Read up on interlopers and even if you suck at it eventually you will get Mowtar: Source.
    Have you tried any other sourcemods like Firearms or something?

My thoughts on saving Empires?: A good balanced build and active updates? A more comprehensive (and fun) tutorial?
    In the summer I might get myself into the habit. I'm thinking of coding a rudimentary AI team. If you can't beat the shit AI your not allowed in the CV.

Does the team have a code junky who isn't super busy ATM? I'd really like to see Empires with shitty bots and a shitty comm AI that does randomized research (following simple rules Engine Armour Weapon Chassis) and bots that use tanks and attack this target. It shouldn't be that impossible. Since Krenzo optimized Empires when he first made it I know all of Source is not in there but I'm going to make what I need from the ground up and kludge in the Empires assets once my demo wins me enough respect (from myself, mostly...) to get access to the Empires source code and assets (if I can't just get it out of the release files).
    I'm really annoyed that all the scripts aren't accessible TBH. (and no, Weapons values are not Scripts in the sense I mean. I mean building drops, research etc.
    I'd love to be able crack open Empires and dick around (i.e. Make a new building using some random prop etc...), its how I learned SWBF2[WUTASZ R AMODDAR?] - all their level objective e.t.c coding was in proprietary compiled LUA but they released the source in the SDK.
    Should Empires have an SDK? A more limited release to create a sort of crowd sourcing? For people to prove to themselves that their own forum suggestions for mechanics are retarded? And to create a working demo when they aren't? IDK maybe. If harryhoot (I hear you groaning but bare with me) can figure out how to make wonky dropships from Hammer brushes he can probably create some neat things in real script. And he has and take the time to do it. I'd love a campaign. CO-OP. Left for Bren. F*CK. YEAH. Hell even a wave mode would be nice.

:headshot:down:confused:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  20. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

imgonna do a search for "gren dance" just to prove i coined it

cause it'll really burn your cornhole trickster, THATS RIGHT, YOU TRICKSTER.