wanna revive empires?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dubee, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I think he meant the more recent summer league, you know, the one that got trolled by the ponies.

2. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

Oh. I should've known he isn't talking about that PuG from three years ago...he probably wasn't even around then.
    I didn't participate in the most recent one so I completely forgot about it.

haha the videos are still up here. I have no idea who you are Dienstbier but thanks for uploading them, I remember when you posted in each pug thread that you uploaded them and I was like, Why bother? what an idiot. Heh I guess I changed a lot since that time.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

To be fair, the pugs were going reall fun. Canyon, Isle, Cyclopean and Bush were all good rounds, with only Mvalley and Urbanchaos being shitty.

But then, HSM refused to allow custom maps. There weren't really any maps left to choose from, and HSM absolutely wouldn't back down on disallowing customs, so he forced everyone to play Urbanchaos, which was the next on the list. Or rather, everyone except me, because I was tucking into a finely cooked Lobster dinner at the time, whilst everyone else sat through 4 hours of nadespam until the server crashed, or so I heard.

After I came back that shitfest, I spoke to Evan and got HSM removed as the other team leader, with Cpatton/FN in charge. But by that point, the damage was done, and the pugs never really recovered. We played a round of Bush with Cpatton as the other team leader, and they won, then after that, we tried a round of Homeland with FN in charge, but by that point it just died off. HSM killed the pugs with Urbanchaos just for the sake of being a cunt, then blamed me for getting him kicked out, even though he blatantly deserved it, and it took a long time before anyone on that BE team would even speak to me.

And do you know what those pugs were? Good fucking drama. A+++ fucking drama. That's the shit I miss.

4. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

lol i skipped out on that match, I only played the good maps and had a gay old time

5. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

I always find those accounts of one particular match that happened like 6 months or 2 years or however long ago in which X happened but "I" was too cool for it or Y took place due to "my" personal awesomeness, and this is exactly how it went down I remember it like it was yesterday to be hilarious. Nothing personal Trickster you just remind me of those posts that happen all the time when people just shoe-horn some self indulgent good times story.

also. stop fucking stacking vets. like always.

6. Trickster

For regular pub matches, sure. But the Empires PUG sets dominated the Empires community for at least a 3rd of that year, they defined how the game was balanced for the following versions, and caused more drama than I've ever seen, and literally every vet in the community played. So I hold them as a kind of exception. I was just replying to Predator saying that the old PUGs were an e-peen battle, which they were, but the intention for them didn't start out like that, and it did go well for a while.

Given how the summer league failed because 2/4 teams didn't manage to play properly, so the idea took me that maybe the old Empires pugs actually might be a good idea if no clans are scrimming and we can't get 4 teams together.

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

And there are always those comment about how x didn't happen that way because y was the commander and not z and therefore y ragequit the game so wasn't there period.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  8. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

lol

GAME DIDNT EXIST!

dude, a pug or regular pug times in the current environment could work... but I might suggest that those in charge try not to overthink it too much... lets do a super simple pug, make events, post a thread... let the cards fall where they may.

9. Trickster

Well no, because pugs work, but what I'm talking about is something that has more organised play. We essentially do what we did with the old Empires pug where we have 2 teams and they play eachother every week. But rather than letting players go where they want, which, without a doubt, resulted in my team being stacked, and having just 1 single round, we go for double rounds and do picks the same way we did for the summer league, clan by clan, so the clans are split down the middle for each team, and we play 2 rounds each week on the same map. Like a scrim.

It's not something I want to do right now but it's something I'd like to think about, especially if we could do it on the new scripts or the test version or something.

10. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

PUGS were not A+++ drama. They were 105% drama, started a supercritical reaction of drama that swept the fucking community free of good players not as irrationally delusional as FN. If you could keep the drama down, it wouldn't end up killing the community for 6 months at a time.

11. FN198

FN198 Member

pretty much. thats why i was suggesting something similar to evan's original league way back when, only without the whole territory bullshit. just have it done tournament style. these days i think it would take a third party representing the community at large to coordinate scrims legitimately if not just for the sole reason of taking that responsbility of clans (of which there scarce are).

& to all my haters, 1v1 my server we'll see who's delusional when you step into my mortar for the 10th time in a row. [no commies allowed]

12. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Maybe you should advertise it a little more. Remember the 2.0-release? Can't remember the exact number any more, but there were probably more than 50 full servers at the time (of course only exactly after the release, but for a few weeks, it still had 20-30 full severs going).

13. FN198

FN198 Member

[​IMG]
    you are now thinking about mittoes, KM, furry server, nachos and juicebox and the elc

14. Trickster

I'm not bragging, or even putting myself forward, but the honest truth is, every single organised event, whoever starts it, I always end up having to run it because they're incapable. This happened with Evan's pugs, this happened with the summer league, it's happened with single night pugs, testing, all of this shit. There are no 3rd parties that are capable of organising shit. The only people capable of doing it would be playing anyway.

The best way for it to be successful is instead is to just designate one person from each team and thrash it out. If you don't turn up to help out, you don't get a say. That way, shit actually gets done.

15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Any third parties don't have as much respect and server control possible to be able to run anything, face it trickster, all the euros are on your shit, at any instant you can get them all to get on your server, which is at your command cause you own it. Even if Devourawr had a server at his hands, do you honestly believe most of the empires player base would agree to so much as form into teams or get to a server on time? Devourawr could stop playing and maybe some of his close MEG buddies might stop playing too, but shit trickster, your whole clan died when you stopped playing, and when you started again they are magically back.

The problem doesn't lie in the leaders, it lies in the loyalty of the player base which is split up into factions. No hate @dev just stating the facts.

16. complete_

complete_ lamer

its rich envy. all those poor euro countries still stuck in the post ww2 era

17. Trickster

Whilst that's true to some extent, it's just about organising too. Teampicks for the summer league as an example, I had to organise that, pick the times, speak to the relevant parties. I had to arrange the servers for both teams. I can accept that when one of the servers was mine, but someone else should have sorted it out for VIPER (by asking Vicki) but no-one ever did. I end up having to babysit literally everything. I don't mind that because it means shit runs smoothly, but I'm just saying, no 3rd party will be able to do it, whereas if it's done by people actually playing, they're more likely to put the organisation time in, simply because they want it to work given it's their time wasted when they're playing.