Change Tech Tree and Skill Names.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Zygoth, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

Empires is set in a universe of advanced bio- and nanotechnology and other advanced state of the art technology; Neurocomputers, quantum processors, self-replicating nanites, bacteria that can even dissolve the hardest and most durable of materials, molecular assemblers, ect.

It would be nice if this would be more reflected in the game.

My first proposal is to rename the Biology tree to Biotechnology and Nanotechnology for NF and BE respectively(and change the descriptions for BE).

Further it may be also nice to give NF nukes instead of HIT warheads(Which I think makes sense from a story perspective; NF favoring crude but effective nuclear weaponry which is seen as primitive by the Brenodi).

If that is done it may be nice to place HIT place warheads in chemistry(to me this makes much more sense then putting them in physics).

Further it may be nice to reflect the story in skill names and descriptions(they feel too neutral and straightforward to me now).

With the above I mean clearly displaying the differences between NF and BE technology.

This ofcourse just adds more flavour to the game(as in, more detail).

I am too tired now too put up possible descriptions that I have thought up, so I'll post them some time tomorow(or today, depending on where you live).

2. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Change the descriptions where you can in the scripts, and send the files to trickster. The less work he has to put into them, the better.

Also, nuclear reactions are physics.

3. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

I know, but I don't see why the HIT is in fission as the HIT is supposed to be a thermobaric weapon.

That is why I suggested putting Nukes for NF in fission and HIT for BE in Chemistry.

(And I'll do it tomorow, I am going to bed now, 4AM)

4. Omega_K2

Omega_K2 Member

Once we get translations, you'd need to do it all over again (or, at thevery least, copy it over)

5. complete_

complete_ lamer

1 dev team announces lang_manifest

2 amazingly postive community support

3 dev team cancels lang_manifest

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

what would we call all the BE variation of the bio weapons? Nano-bots-that-pop-out-during-impact-and-survive-and-eat-tanks missile launcher? nanolaunchers, nano mgs, and we can't change the name to nano diesel, because it doesn't even exist.

7. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

lamer wins.
    also, seems like a gratuitous thing to do as it overall doesnt really contribute to gameplay in a significant fashion. last thing we want is noobs going like OMG NANOOOO GUN OMG IT MUST BE BETTER THAN THE BIO GUN LOL BIO GUN WHAT A DUMB NAME BECAUSE NANO GUN IS SO AWESOME

8. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

It doesnt all have to be nano shit you can just name it the high tech thingy.
    You can has nanite mg and nanite ml (see that shit movie gi joe).
    And your engine could be a solar fueled engine ( ecological and all)

9. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

No, because that was obviously what I was implying. :rolleyes:

The Missile launchers could indeed release a mist of nanites that eat away enemy armor, hulls and tissue(infantry). Nanite Warhead and Nanite Machinegun comes to mind. Nano diesel indeed does not make sense. But as pointed out it is not neccesary to be extremely specific when it comes to explaining how such an engine works.

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

most of the current descriptions have some sort of ground in reality. It helps it feel familiar, but at the same time, not exactly. I would prefer it if I could read the name and know exactly what to expect from a weapon or armor or engine. Diesel engines are very reliable, 3 phase sounds super fast. Fission engine sounds powerful. coolant engine sounds like it's for pussies. gas turbine is meh.

I dunno, might just be me, but I sorta like the names of the engines and armors. They've grown on me maybe. weapons could probably use some work maybe.

11. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

I like the weapon names too, the only changes I propose are the descriptions(both for the tech tree and the skills) and changing the Biology tree to Biotechnology and Nanotechnology for NF and BE respectively, including the names for BE(The nukes for NF and HIT for BE is more a balance thing).

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

pointless imo, if its the same it should be named the same or it gets confusing ...

13. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

Its not pointless, its adding flavour.

The goal is not to add something to gameplay, as I said, I am working on possible descriptions not the names(I only propose a tech tree name change for Nanotechnology).

And if people cannot understand that altough the names and descriptions in the bio- and nanotechnology trees are different they are both the same(and explained in game) then I seriously wonder why they play this game if that is too hard for them to comprehend. ;)

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

or the BE variant should just be Diesel, since in the end it's the exact same engine, just different fuel, and NF could use bio-diesel because it's much cheaper to fuel up bio-diesel style (just go to your local mcdonalds and ask for the deep fryer oil).

15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

if you rename it it will still be named like it was - look at nooks ... err soorry ... hits :D

if you really need to name something name infantry weapons, but even there smg2 will always stay smg2 and not be called hairdryer - unless someone compairs it to one ofc ...

... what i mean is its too late to do that now, it maybe should have been named different right away, idk its no issue though, its just names ;)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  16. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

We are not renaming the entire tech tree, we are changing the descriptions. ;)

I don't see how hard it would be for people to comprehend that even if it is clear both tech trees are the same and provide similar equipment under different names they have different are the same.

And indeed, its not an issue, it doesn't change the gameplay, it adds flavour just like just like vehicle and infantry camo did.

17. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

i would actually agree with flasche. who cares if it adds flavor? no one who's been playing the game for past like 2 days even reads the description anymore. if anything, i can see this confusing newbies, because they won't know that biomg and nanitemg are the same gun, only with different names and different particles.

also, moving nukes to chem is dumb, why would you ever do that; they have a bunch of good weapons already.

18. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

I do. Just as I like nice textures on redone maps and infantry and vehicle camo.

Put a manual in the game menu where people can check each weapon, the research tree and the buildings.

This would fix the "OMGNANITES" problem and other problems relating people not knowing what certain armors, weapons and technologies do.

:rolleyes: I said move HIT for BE to chemistry and Nukes for NF to fission. HIT is a thermobaric weapon; why the hell is it in fission?

19. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Infantry and vehicle camo and redone textures is a visual element that players actually look forward to. Things like gun names and research names are just there so people can say "I am using an rpg" or whatever it is going to be called.

20. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

Its just as visual and aesthetic as vehicle and infantry camo.

It adds depth and flavour.

Particles, camo, nice custom textures for maps, ect. all add flavour and depth to the game.

If anything, expanding on the tech tree descriptions and changing some names(Bio/Nanotechnology) adds flavour too.