Opening the can of worms

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by soundspawn, Jan 28, 2010.

?

Removing script manifest eventually (around 1 year after 2.25 is released) will

1. Make sense because we will want a uniform game when steamworks lands

59.5%
  2. Possibly upset me, but I understand

7.1%
  3. Make me rage hard, unless it's the scripts I like

9.5%
  4. Cause me to quit playing, or stop at whatever version takes it away

11.9%
  5. Not be necessary (non-issue) for reasons I will explain

11.9%
  1. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

There it is, that's what I was waiting for. GG RTV.

2. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Now we know that the only objective he has is to maintain creative control over a game he has had domain over for about 2 weeks.

3. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Erg. This is a painful decision.

On one hand, I want to believe that scripting will lead to people finding better settings for everything. And god dammit, the dev team has spent so long fiddling with the things without really getting everyone happy. I suspect there is no setting that will make everyone happy at this point.

On the other hand, ultimately, if the mod grows, I don't think it's good for the game for things to be so badly fractured. Every time anything new is added, we're going to get complaints that it's broken with script-settings XYZ. I have bad memories of playing on other mods trying to find a vanilla game (or even just one without stupid-ass settings). And, really, it is annoying to join a server and discover that you're playing a totally differently-balanced game from usual...

4. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

Yes I do, but I don't abuse power.

No, I'm asking how the community feels about the inevitable, or help avoiding it if I'm wrong in thinking it's inevitable.

I know I can group results in to one of two categories. Either servers will generally adopt their own scripts and thus servers will be different, or one set of scripts will overtake all (or a huge majority of) the servers, meaning there is basically one very clear best script.

I expect more of the former, the later would be easy to deal with.

No, I asked how upset people would be and put four levels from "sure" to "I'm out of here" as well as a "you've misread the situation". Since all active devs voted for "sure", I'd say I do have the power to remove script_manifest if it's the only way to keep the community together long term.

@Aquillion
    Exactly, and I don't want the devs to make this decision for the community, so while we have time to discuss, debate, flame, and eventually work it out I want to begin the dialogue.

5. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Isn't that the prerogative of devs? The ultimate creative decision remains with them. Also, restricting scripts again is not a problem if you have an active dev team. I think the main reason we wanted it was because it appeared that development was stopping with an unbalanced release. The script_manifest was a way for the community to continue tweaking Empires so that it won't simply die.

6. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Fully half of the "sure" votes were also 100% empires inactives.

So you got the assent of a bunch of people who never play the game.

Congratulations.

Oh and I wonder why devs would vote "sure" to the status quo anyway? They can do whatever they want to the scripts in the first place. This is so typical.

7. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

My statement was meaningless without the second half. Please don't misquote me, it's being really intellectually dishonest.

8. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

Pickled, you are truly a drama queen. When you are ready to have actual discussions let me know (PM), until then don't bother posting with the intent of me reading it.

9. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I find it extremely amusing that you asked for the approximate level of rage that the community would portray when something they were promised in 2.25 would eventually be removed, and when your feet got a little wet you started crying bloody murder.

You asked for rage. You got it.

10. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

script_manifest is a bad idea for steamworks. It's a good idea to get a balance of gameplay with a small community, which we currently have. Pickled_, where is your argument against this?

11. communism

communism poof

Don't like the idea of separate servers running separate scripts, if that were to happen I don't know if I would play anymore. Scripts can be tested right now as it is...no need for every different server to have different balance/imbalance

12. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

I am sorry, but I believe that's where this is going... The scope of this discussion is more about what happens when we go back to only one set of scripts.

Although I don't feel strongly enough to quit playing, I agree with everything else you said.

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Just ban everyone off the forums and do what you want.

I see a lot of crying, which is ofc what has been happening since 2.0 came out. You come, you cry, you whine, you rage...blah blah blah. And then, oh what's this? you pissed off every dev? Well done, nice work.

Never seem to notice the fact that as more of you rage and have your say, the shitter the mod gets? Eh? "Too many cooks spoil the broth", try thinking about that before you make the thread all about you and how you can rage over something. Say your piece by all means, but don't fight a battle with our devs all the time.

C'mon just let the fuck up and act like reasonable human beings. Yes, I know it's hard for some of you.

14. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Right, and this is totally our fault because the devs are doing exactly what we request.

15. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I think the more relevant correlation is that the mod gets shittier and then we rage more.

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Maybe, maybe.

Of course, the raging helps nothing, and pisses people off.

17. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Anyway, this would be in a year; we'd still have that long for servers to play around with scripts. Maybe by then we'll all have one clear set of scripts that everyone loves and there won't be anything controversial about making those the official One True Configuration.

18. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

Aquillion, I think you're missing the point of this thread a bit. This thread isn't meant for logical discourse about the future of a mod people care about. This thread is meant to be an political excuse for spawwn to deprecate the script manifest now, scheduled for 2.25.

Really read those... Some of those are taken out of context and some aren't. The point is, if you remove the shiny packaging the true intent is more obvious. He started this thread with an agenda. This thread isn't a question, it's a statement, that goes something like, 'If I don't stop the script-manifest system from being released, people will ragequit', which is really just a rationalization for his true opinion, which is he never liked the idea in the first place, and doesn't want it to see the light of day.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  19. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

I would appreciate it if those people who want the script_manifest to remain in empires would offer solutions to address some of the issues raised instead of grandstanding and playing to the peanut gallery. If a solution can be found that addresses the raised issues then there would not be a need to remove it.

20. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Actually solving problems? These people (you know who you are) aren't rocket scientists, Melarion ;)