Battleship Model

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Darg, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darg

Darg Member

Well Krenzo said that naval warfare will be introduced once he has battleship and carrier models. I thought I'd oblige ;)

Here is my WIP Battleship model loosely based around the Montana battleship class from 1944. Obviously most of the details are missing but the main parts are in. I've only worked on this for maybe an hour and a half. Details will take another few hours to place but hopefully things like the AA guns will be duplicates placed around. Maybe we could have those as seperate models along with the bigger guns? They'd have to be anyway to be able to turn to fire at things. I'm not sure how the current turret system on the tanks work but I imagine it would be something similiar.

Currently running at 2742 tris before optimisation. Not bad for a model that will be around 100m long. This will obviously require the big maps that we'll have for aircraft to be used efficiently in.

I imagine that this will need atleast 3 people to operate efficiently. One driver and two gunners for front and back guns. There will be AA guns on this as well.

I'm not sure how we can balance this in the game as once a team gets it they will be able to dominate the coast. Possibly make it susceptible to much smaller torpedo boats?

After this will be coming a carrier for all your VTOL needs and then of course the smaller boats.

I would be happy to pass these models on to someone who is better at texturing then I am. I hate uvw mapping and I never seem to be able to make good textures. I am purely a modeller not a texture artist ;)

Anyway here is the current render:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  2. dnc

dnc Member

nice work, looks good....

it will prob... need to be in a mostly water map to work properly, but we could easily make sumthing to fit it in...

3. Darg

Darg Member

Krenzo I need some input on your vision for the big ships like this and the carrier. Would they be similiar to the tanks in that you're standing beside them and then enter them and you're straight into the bridge or would you prefer to have them enterable by the player on foot and require him to make his way up to the bridge area before taking control of the ship?

This could lead to some interesting ship battles if the ship could be controlled by either team.

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Looking awesome. Any chance of getting a tank next to that just for size reference? Are the walkways wide enough for players to move down either side?

5. dnc

dnc Member

maybe we should have just one ship per map and than it could be capturable so people would gain the control of the sea, and you would have to go to the bridge to get the control, but you would havr fights on the ships....

6. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Cool render, but I think it looks way too much like what we have already in our current day - doesn't seem to fit with empires too well...I mean, are we really talking about a battleship with 12 guns? That's A LOT of firepower.

Just my thoughts.

7. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

One option for said battleship is to have it be the backup on some kind of beach landing map. It provides fire support for the landing force, facing down bunkers Operation: Overlord style.

8. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

9. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I will be happy unrawp that puppy... I can also try to texture it, but I think there may be alot more capable people out there then me :p

10. Slasher

Slasher Member

I could model that and UV texture it, I'll give it a shoot once I finish UV texturing my Blimp model that I have been making

11. Darg

Darg Member

Ok so this battleship model would be good for the NF and I'll make a more modern looking one for the BE?

How about the amount of firepower on it? I can easily reduce the amount of cannon on it. I'm assuming each of those shells would be equivalent to a HE arti shell. I have an update to the model rendering now. I'll work on the BE version after.

12. Darg

Darg Member

Ok here is the update, let me know what you think:

7137 tris before final optimisation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

To be honest I like the ship but I think it looks like the style of this worlds naval ships and not in the style of what you'd expect there to be in the Brendori and NF universe

I do feel that pics krenzo showed though did look in the style of brendori
    With the angled tops etc

I feel that perhaps the NF would have more basic things. + I can't see that model covered in the NF rusty look texture lol

14. Darg

Darg Member

Yea it would be a bit out of place. What can I do to change the model to fit in with the NF forces?

15. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Allowing players to actually move around on the ship seems like something of a necessity, but how would that actually be accomplished? Source is kinda iffy with people walking around on (non-static) models, much less ones moving at high speeds.

16. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

17. dnc

dnc Member

ok i think you could make the nf ship into an catamaran or a trimarine because that would look pretty cool and maybe that model ar old pal krenzo showed us for the be.. i think that would work quite nicely.

18. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

The guns for the NF need to be almost cartoonishly huge, like the NF arty is. Add some smoke stacks like the Titanic (not 4 of them, just giving you an idea). Maybe armor plate hanging off the sides with guns placed everywhere they can fit. Remember, if the BE is todays tech or a few years from now then the NF would be Soviet Russia, big, simple, tough, old. Stick with the single hull for the NF battleship, maybe going catermeran for the smaller ships. The NF battleship should be a moving mountain of steel and fire that can take and give one hell of a pounding. Also perhaps a single VTOL pad somewhere onboard for transporting people or repairs.

19. dnc

dnc Member

i think we should have a catemaran for at least one of the ships, please?

soryy i sail so i like boats...

20. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

The marines have no ships. They're apart of the navy which runs all ships in the fleet. Iowa battleships have been gone for a long time. The new destroyer (Zumwalt class) is replacing the Arleigh Burke class destroyer which has been around since 1991.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.