Battleship Model

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Darg, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

I love to get on the American carrier in BF2 as a sniper, especially if i'm the squad leader. And it's even a viable tactic, when I get onboard and start dropping people, especially if I have my own squad with me, they start shouting "We got guys on the carrier shooting at us!" "we need more people to spawn on carrier and fight!" This in turn takes some of their manpower away, (especially on smaller games) letting our guys cap flags on the mainland easier. Plus, a decent anti-tank that either has a support nearby or an ammocrate can make lifting off the carrier a living hell. It's even decently defendable! Just put a claymore at each of the 3 laddar entrances so they can't get to you or have someone cover the area such as an assault.

*ahem* Back on topic: If you could capture the ships, that would be great. It would have to have some sort of way to get inside though, such as an area where R.I.Bs spawn, (again, BF2 snuck its way in) or laddars on the sides. That way 2-3 small transport boats could sneak up on it and make their way to the bridge and kill the crew, then take over the ship, instead of destroying it.

2. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Sure, make one of the smaller ships a catermeran if you wish (we are not bound to use any of these designs, but if you make one we like we would prolly use it). I just think the Battleship needs to be a single hulled hulk.

I was thinking the aircraft carrier for the NF would be more like the early 1920s carriers that were bassicly warships or cargo ships with a flat top on them.

3. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

It would be cool if all those AA guns were AI controlled turrets.

4. Darg

Darg Member

That was my original idea. Turret like shooting at aircraft. It wouldn't even require a seperate turret like AI for each gun. Just seperate them into four sections and have all the guns in that quarter shoot at that target.

Don I will work on what you described. I like the sound of it.

5. Darg

Darg Member

6. Slasher

Slasher Member

I reckon if that had the right color on it, it would look just like a NF ship

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

The sloping sides are perfect!

Regarding the guns, I think they should be automated AA, which seek out the nearest target. The main turrets (A+B) should be individually player controlled, so that you could shell player-marked targets or enemy battleships.

8. Blighty

Blighty Member

NF could have an converted cargo ship form the russian era, that would look nffy

9. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

10. Darg

Darg Member

Okay here is the start on the new NF battleship model. I've only had about an hour to put into this so it's still pretty basic. I just need feedback on the layout and design of it along the way to make sure it fits with the mods theme.

Attached Files:

11. dnc

dnc Member

that new model looks pretty good, just one thing... the front gun looks like it is a little too covered for my likeing.... as i was thinking maybe the guns could be destroyable and have to be rebuilt by an engineer.... thats just some rambling though..... but it looks good.

12. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Looking good, dont forget the smoke stacks and it needs more and bigger guns.

13. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Guns should not be underneath the bridge or any part of the structure. You should incorporate more elements from your first battleship.

14. Darg

Darg Member

Ok I redid the entire model. I wasn't pleased with the hull in the previous version. Here is the updated version, somewhere around 3000 tris atm.

Attached Files:

15. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

16. Darg

Darg Member

Well those holes will hopefully be filled with plent of AA guns and lifeboats and other such menagerie of the maritime rebels daily life.

Don't worry there is still a lot more detail work to be done on this model. I'm hoping to make it look a lot better then the first battleship model.

And just to put things in scale the main cannon at the front will fire shells roughly 1m in diameter while the next largest at the rear will be around 0.7m and down. The ugly wall around the side of the ship will be alpha mapped into a railing so it won't look so out of place.

You will be able to walk all around the outside of this ship and depending upon what Krenzo and the others think is needed I can do a few inside corridors too that lead up to the bridge deck. As has been said before this mightn't work too well while the model is moving but could be reserved for a sort of "take over the ship Under Siege style" game.

17. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Id fill those side slots with more of those side turrets like you have. Good gun size and smoke stacks, nicely done. You might try drapped armor pannels that hang over the side in the same way the NF heavy tank has.

She is looking nice though, good work

18. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I still like the original better. People are supposed to be able to move around on the exposed deck. Those notches in the side pretty much hinder that.

19. Darg

Darg Member

Well I'm making sure to leave room for them to move all the way around the ship but I'll give her a bit more of an open deck and add in another set of the side guns. After that I'm going to throw in a lot of AA guns then other details.

Will I work on the internal passages up to the bridge?

20. Darg

Darg Member

7844 tris:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.