Battleship Model

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Darg, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

That's alot of firepower! Are those side cannons really neccessary? (I always though AA were alot smaller?)

2. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Those 1/4th cilinder walls between the lifeboats at the sides should be hollow, eg it should be a skeleton design, like this:

Code:

______
        |______|
       / /     |
      / /      |
     / /       |
    /_/________|

3. Darg

Darg Member

Ok special update for solo. I had intended doing it like this at the start but I never got around to it. I also cleaned up the layout of the hull that isn't very noticeable in this.

I placed 4 emptys around the ship at the front, back and sides and have the AA guns tracking them to show the groups that the might target in in the game itself. I think the four target areas would be enough and could be accomplished using some modified current turret code.

I would like to see the ships main armaments in the control of two players. One at a front position (possibly looking out from the bridges outer deck) and the other at the rear. They could point their crosshairs anywhere and hit fire. Any gun that can fire at the angle to the target and is loaded would then fire at it.

This means the guns would not be limited in use to just one of the two players. Theoretically either player could use any of the guns. The best situation would be if the two players were aiming in opposite directions so as not to interfere with eachother. However even if you they aiming to the starboard bow and starboard stern then they would still have a couple of guns that would not be able to share their targets.

If that's not easily understood then I can explain with diagrams :)

Attached Files:

4. dnc

dnc Member

yeah well youve definatley got it right there. that looks pretty fucking sweet...

5. supaste

supaste Member

now you need to make all the guns separate so they can rotate and stuff.

6. Darg

Darg Member

They are all seperate objects. I will need to know how the current turrets are implemented though that will come after unwrapping and texturing.

Is each turret just a seperate object to the tanks or is it a completely seperate model?

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I've no idea how they work, but I know that they are seperate models (for the tanks, at least).

8. Darg

Darg Member

Ok that shouldn't be a problem. It may require some extra coding though as the main turret section will have to rotate to face the target and then the turrets themselves will have to raise or lower to point at the target.

9. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

The turrets are all coded to aim at wherever the player is looking. That's how it works in tanks. The main cannon is lined up with the eye so it's always pointing in the right direction, and then the mgs and rls just aim at wherever the cannon is pointing. It won't be hard integrating the battleship. You just have to send the main body, and then each turret model and cannon model as separate models with attachment points to tell where they connect.

10. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

It is looking very nice but I dont like the plate armor, perhaps horizontel armor belts and a nice big anchor.

I still love the smoke stacks and main guns, beautiful.

11. Darg

Darg Member

I'll work on the armour and I never even thought about the anchor :)

How would I set up the attachment point in 3DS to be compiled into the model? This is for when I get the model finished with a uvw map and a quick texture for you to test with. After that I can work on the texture or maybe somebody with better texturing skills can see what they can do with it.

12. dnc

dnc Member

LOLZ I THINK WE need a water level, with pure water... lolz that would be good..... but we need an anchor... and what would the guns be, like normal arty, or long range arty.....?

13. tkeracer619

tkeracer619 Member

[​IMG]

Can you count the number of barrels?

14. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

15. tkeracer619

tkeracer619 Member

I think the work you have done so far is great!!!

I don't like the look of the plates though, the whole surface should apear plated. Check the pic above and you can see each individual plate welded into place including the reinforcing plates, i'm pretty sure that will be in the skinning stage though.

Also the real estate that is taken by life boats is a bit much. I think you should stack them to take 1/3 of the space and fill the new space with..... Big machine cannons that blow up airplanes, shred blimps, and make lantern oil out of flying whales. When all the room is taken make towers =] and put them up there (not flying whales but guns, huge guns).

Again great work can't wait to see the finished result.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  16. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

17. Darg

Darg Member

Well we can't make this thing too powerful. I like the lifeboats as they are and I think that 22 AA guns with 2 barrels apiece should be enough to defend from most aircraft ;)

I'm not sure if the lifeboats will be usable. Right now they are just static. I could make it where they could be lowered in. The arms are supposed to swing down until the boat is over the side and then winches lower it down by the ropes to the sea.

18. Darg

Darg Member

Ah.. I think I know what you mean solo. I think the idea for them is to strengthen the hull and making them hollow would negate that somewhat. That area of the boat is not designed to be walked on really. I'd like to use them to climb up onto the boat but I'm not sure if it's possible to set a part of the model as climbable like a ladder.

As for the armour plates the original request was for an 'added on' kind of look. I'm not happy with how they are now either so I'll modify them as best I can. If that doesn't work I may just get rid of them and achieve the type seen in the photograph above by normal mapping.

19. Avair

Avair Member

All the guns won't be operated by a single person, will they/

20. Darg

Darg Member

No. Anti Aircraft will be controlled by the AI while cannon will be operated by two people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.