It's public - Empires: Darkest Dawn

Discussion in 'General' started by soundspawn, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Zeke

Zeke Banned

random bsid & random epic.... GOGOGO! :D

2. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I think pubbers should be duly represented
    90% of empires does not care about BSID or EPIC drama, sorry to break it to you

Actually, I think an all pubbers vs. clanners would be very interesting, only it might be a little unfair to you guys :D

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  3. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

I never said I wasn't interested.

I never nominated myself either, people just sort of assumed.

I don't care whether I "general" command the first round or not, I will still want to command some skirmishes. I'd be happy to infantry it out. However, for development purposes I will be continuing to practice some rounds with Spawn before it is released. Nominate some others and have them command. Please.

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Please, my post was a direct communication to you :) Of course it was...considering you're one of the few who have inside knowledge on this project and tried to calm down speculation in the last thread, of course ^^ Considering you felt it to be though...may I stroke that considerable ego of yours a little more? :rolleyes:

Another point I was trying to make is that the General won't really be a commander, and there are some people here with superior strategy skills who aren't as good at being real-time leaders. People with crazily logical minds and affinity for long term planning, without the flair for on-the-spot decisions could work here better.

As long as it doesn't spill over into the actual thing, i'm happy to let you all e-shoot each other and dance on each other's graves ^^

5. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

I completely agree with Switch, this should not be (BSID vs. EPIC) + whoever wishes to play. I think the best practice, at least for the first Campaign, is to select two pubbers that feel they have a good idea of who is a good player, and let them take turns picking players to assemble the teams. With any luck there will be some of every given clan split.

So we need volunteers that do not have clan ties. Any takers?

6. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

I think we should just see who wants the position first, people seem to be keen to throw the names of others into the potential leader pool but almost no one has actually put themselves forward.

7. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

hmmm...

Scardybob!

(pick me scardy! :D)

I think he has the interest and is a long time pubber with a good feel for the good players (at least in the western time zones ^^)

Ikalx... If you want to be srs business about nominating some people, stop slinging complaints, and start slinging names, or put your own ass in the hat :D

8. Varbles

I'd like to volunteer for commanding an army, but I'd need to know when it is

9. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

Would you be willing to help in the team selections?

Also, what will be a good time for actual play, Saturdays around 8pm GMT?

10. Varbles

Sure, saturdays are a sure shot for me, but I was lookin for a calender date, I'm going to Britain for two weeks over christmas :D

Also sure I'd help with team selections

11. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

The first Campaign will not be until sometime between early Jan and late Feb... just kind of depends on the last parts of development, additional features we try to pack in last second, and general interest from the community.

Your support is appreciated.

12. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

I think you should all come play on Australian servers.

Then no one has a ping advantage. :D (Cept me. I don't really need that though.)

13. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

A clannder general would be better, because quite frankly, most people don't want to play under an incompetent pubber who has no idea what he's doing. Most pubbers are pubbers for a reason.

Albeit there are a very small number of exceptions, Scardybob being one. Regardless of what you say Ikalx, if we have no-names doing it, people won't get that interested. The drama, the intense competition, the "seriousness" that the games represent to the generals, is what pulls people to it. And about people only volunteering other people, if Cpatton puts himself forward, I'll put myself forward. But in many ways, I'd like to let you see the error of your ways and have you put 2 no-names in command. Because you guys really have no idea of how little interest will be shown if you do.

14. RKB53

RKB53 Member

Varbles isn't incompetent take your trolling elsewhere

15. Empty

Empty Member

Someones butthurt they might not get chosen.

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I didn't notice Varbles. Nor do I have any idea if he's competent or not.

Besides, if any clanner put themselves up for voting, they'd get voted before pubbers, I can assure you. Be that me, Cpatton, HSM, Ikalx, Spawwn himself. Natural mentality is to pick who you conceive to be the best. So if I wanted, I would put myself in for it. But I'd only be interested if the opposing general was really quite good. Or Cpatton/HSM.

Most of you guys are probably like "Yeah, this can be drama free and laid back", but that in my opinion, the intense competition is what makes things like this. Cpatton is a fag, but most likely he'll agree with me here. The drama literally makes things like this far more fun. That's why, way back during the previous pug, I was confused when Ikalx suggested laid back people such as Butterfly Lobster and Knight Templar should be in charge. I don't see how a laid back game can even come close to the intensity of 2 team leaders who REALLY want to win more than anything.

17. recon

recon SM Support Dev

At least one doesn't result in temporary hearing loss.

In spite of that, I still think Trickster and HSM should be the generals. It was quite amusing the last time around.

18. RKB53

RKB53 Member

We dont care what you think, you got a vendetta against bsid for kicking you out.

Anyway trickster Vs headshotmaster would end up destroying the game just like the pug, due to people just wanting to make hsm rage to record and trickster attempting to find a way to just stack his clan as a team against a actual pug team.

19. Zeke

Zeke Banned

Now how would that be possible with this awesomely designed balancer? :rolleyes:
    is there perhaps flaws in the system that we shouldnt know about? :D

20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

You don't see, and you never will, because it's all just about the lulz for you.

Funnily enough for the half year or so during 2.0 testing, we had what most people consider the best back to back games of Empires, and most of those didn't have any drama other than friendly and yae intense competition.

Most of the reason calmer people in charge are better is because they're not so interested in making themselves king of the castle and more interested in making and following a plan for the team, that most people agree with. By all accounts you're pretty good at that Trickster, however people find it hard to trust you.

I don't want to be a general either (lol), i'm pretty crap at strategic thinking on a slow scale, and the pretty shite commanding i've done in the last couple days pretty much shows that I am pre-eminently unsuited to it.

The key comment was someone who has no clan ties and knows the good people - in effect a pub veteran. It's quite different from having "[phat]Iamawesomemofo" command it.