Map Spotlight: emp_arid

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Silk

Silk Mapper

Spotlight on Arid

Please keep vulgarities and arguments to a minimum. Post only if you have something constructive to say.

I've been asked to work on emp_arid. With Coffeeburrito's permission and no permission from shandy for copying his post, I'm making this thread now to initiate discussions about what players feel can or should be done to improve emp_arid.

Everything about the map can be mentioned as long as you do it in a mature manner. Some things however i will not add/remove as they are the essence of what the map is all about. This does not mean they have to stay exactly the same, just that the changes i'll make to them must not lead to changing the essence itself.

Essence:
    - The canyon with it's 2 ramps in NE and SW will stay
    - The atmosphere (brown-redish color) and fog will remain
    - The hills on both sides of the canyon (none buildable area) will remain
    (For current building space check the minimap of this image: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/234836/emp_arid_ob0007.jpg. There is more building space in the South east but i had reached the building limit)

So far i'm thinking of changing/fixing:
    - Some trees and rocks are partially floating above the grond
    - Trying to make the 3d skybox align with the map better
    - Find a new rock texture (though the color should remain almost the same)

Minimap
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the pillboxes seem pretty useless atm, perhaps turn them into flags?

the small bridges lead to nothing, move them to ether side of the large ne/sw canyons?

the main bases have a loooot of cover, building any type of base outside your starting location is unwise because of lack of cover, perhaps even it out one way or the other?

3. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

floating things obviously need a fix
    new 3d skybox would be nice
    rock texture could be the new emp_mvalley one perhaps

----
    the bunkers and weird bridge parts are quite useless (noone uses the tunnels anyways)

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yup, tunnels are obsolete

what about adding 2 flags between each 2 pillbox, as to work as an underground spawn?

5. Silk

Silk Mapper

What about it do you not like?
    It does fit the atmosphere perfectly: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/234836/emp_arid0001.jpg

Could it be improved so that you like it and it still uses the current colors, or is it the colors that look out of place to you?

Edit:
    I've used the tunnels several times, and it's never been a waste of time. From within the enemy bunker i was able to kill lot's of bad guys and once i used to get behind their line of turrets and took down their barracks all by myself.

Also if the bunkers don't get used very often it's imo no reason to remove them. I've seen people use them from time to time to get ammo and health, to hold off an invasion of infantry or simply as cover against vehicles. There would be no advantage gained from removing them.

Same goes for the two bridges, except that they really never get used. They probably need to change in one way or another.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  6. Jackman

Jackman Member

Make the ground texture more interesting.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i never said remove them, i said make them more interesting so they are worth the extra compile time

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

That are the problems i think:

[​IMG]

Thats what I would do to fix it:
    Move south west and north east closer to the middle and remove the tunnel system.
    [​IMG]

Thats what I would do if I want to fix it and make it better:

Same as above and I would flood the middle valley.
    [​IMG]

9. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Make the North & South team-refs. EG:Make south closer to NF and north closer to BE.

10. Jackman

Jackman Member

Mayama, does the water fit emp_arid ?

just a thought.

11. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

The number one thing I hear people mention about emp_arid is that they don't like how there's so much of the hilly areas that are unbuildable. I guess they want more base building freedom, rather than being confined to their starting area or the areas nearest to the land ramps that go down into the canyon.

12. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

i think it would, an oasis?

i like those changes, brings the map in a bit while bringing in the key refs into play. I do not think either ref should be sent closer to either base but keep them at the same distance. Those two bridges should be like side entrance paths into the bases so maybe bring them in closer to either base and have like a tunnel into the base?

13. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I noticed that there is a tunnel but in all the games I never used it. And I also saw nobody using it.
    So why not to remove the tunnel and move one of the main base refineries to the canyon.

14. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

nah, i was just talking about the aligning you mentioned

also, mayma got it right

middle canyon is never used and the corner refs are kinda too far away.

map has alot of nice tactics with its many routes ,but really , for an empires map i thinks its too complex

15. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

OK, the first 10 times I played this map I srsly did not notice the tunnels AT ALL. I think they could add masses to gameplay, but no one realises they are there. Make them obvious, I don't know how, maybe a massive sign that says 'OMFG TUNNEL LOL'. Also doors restrict it, do away with them tbh.

Building at the north and either side of middle is HORRENDOUS. like, really, quite bad. At least space to put a rax (in under 5 seconds) in the north, flatten the area around the refineries either side of mid to allow a rax, VF and radar.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The doors have been gone since the map was made official.

17. complete_

complete_ lamer

there are tunnels?

18. OuNin

OuNin Member

Yeah, I use those tunnels ALL the time. Nobody ever uses them, so nobody ever expects an attack from Delta squad in their back yard.

19. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

My suggestions:
    • Make the ramps in the SW and NE less steep (they are a pain to climb even with 3phase or fission)
    • Flatten some of the hills around the middle (especially on the BE side near their ref)
    • Add some more refs (maybe split the mid refs into two per side?)

20. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

ya I like the idea of putting signs next to the tunnel entrances that say maybe like "Bridge Access" so people know the tunnels are for crossing the middle. Cause basically no one knows what those tunnels do.