Map Spotlight: emp_crossroads

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Cyber-Kun, May 24, 2009.

1. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

At this point it is a 100% that turrets will be removed from the top of the towers. You will also not be able to place a barracks in middle. I am also thinking about removing turrets from the middle part of the buildings in the middle as upper ground turrets are quite mean.

I am also thinking along what would be the best way to improve movement. Widening of the pathways and adding one infantry only hill to both sides seems like the best idea right now. If we play test that, then we could think about doing anything drastic like adding a path straight in the middle.

Very sure that I will remove the ramp part of the grates but keep the gates itself so they will stop rushes.

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I wouldn't remove turrets but I would put a limit on them, maybe only level 2s.

3. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

I'm not removing turrets from the map. I'm removing the option to build turrets on top of the tower things. I will also add something to make it a bit easier to hit as been suggested.

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I know, and as I said, I wouldn't remove them, I'd limit them.

5. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Ohhh.
    I don't know if you can limit turrets in an area by level.

Anyways, I don't like the idea of people finding they can't make level 3 turrets up there.
    Just keeping all turrets is a better idea.

6. communism

communism poof

Linear ass gameplay. No chance to sneak around the winning team to sneak a barracks up or 9 mine their VF. Anything of that such

Its a lvl 3 upgrade playground, I don't know if this can be fixed without redoing the entire map... but it needs to be done

Hmmm lets seeeee, rooftops need less advantages (mainly lvl 3 mgs in mind)

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Then limit them universally.

The map won't suffer for it, turrets are a bad idea on the map anyway because they get owned by arty which is almost a neccesity on crossroads.

8. Silk

Silk Mapper

Because of the turrets. ;)

I'd rather see them removed entirely from the center complex. Having lvl3's on the ground is a lot better than having lvl2's on the roofs.

9. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I like this map as it is. So if there will be a remake then give the new one a different name (e.g. emp_crossroads2) and keep the old one.

And I don't know what's your problem with lvl3 turrets.
    There are tanks on crossroads. And as soon they will arrive the turrets will be destroyed.

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

That's sort of the point. Although arty is also useful against everything else because of how constricted the map is.

The problem with them is that until you get tanks the turrets dominate everything, and when you get tanks is determined by whether you control more of the centre than the other guy.

Which means level 3s are they key to victory in the middle, and therefore victory everywhere, also turret spam elsewhere is hard to counter other than with arty, which as aforementioned makes arty a required research because the enemy will probably get turrets and even if they don't it will be beneficial.

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  11. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

is there any other point to the rooftops other than turrets? you might just want to remove access to the very top.

12. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Removing game elements is nothing we should aim for
    and its not THAT hard to kill those turrets on top of the
    towers.

13. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

^the problem is that 3-4 people can deny the entire other team access to the middle of the map for a significant amount of time. if the middle was less important (some of the suggestions in this thread) then it would be no problem, but as the map is now they do need to go.

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

what about moving the resource nodes a little back to main bases of which they belong, and adding a very very small output resource node in the middle?

this way middle is still important, but its not the ON/OFF switch that it is now

if you own middle = "yes"

then victory
    else loss

15. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Yeah middle needs to be a battle ground but not a key location, i like the 3 resource nodes but maybe move the middle one to the other side of either base

16. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

omfg, what idiot suggested removing the rax positions from the middle?

THINK. JUST GODDAMN THINK.

this means that to kill the enemy rax, you have to run for about 2 minutes to reach their barracks. the enemy spawns in 7 seconds right next to their rax. which means that the only way to get a chance to kill the enemy rax is to fight your way every single spawn all the way every time you spawn.

for the muppets who still don't understand, let me put it simply. you and your one enemy spawn. you will meet eachother in the middle of the map, you win. he spawns, and you'll then be able to go just further than half way again towards the enemy barracks before you encouter the guy, respawned, again. then you win, run half way towards the enemy barracks again, and then encounter him. and every time you meet him, you'll have less health than before. you'll need to fight the guy several times because of him respawning because of this effect. Anyone who played the origional unreal tornament, CTF, will know the effect- matches could last hours.

except that you won't be able to run forwards each time you kill the enemy in reality, because his friends will delay you.

forget shifting front lines.

good fucking god, if you implemented this then every single game of crossroads would be the same. it would be an absolutely shit map.

17. communism

communism poof

Make sure you are still able to place camera's there though

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

apc spawns + apc's + tanks

problem solved

19. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

Two thoughts:
    1. Frontline barracks are important, but the paths should be wider so barracks don't block the entire route. Consequently, more props would be needed to prevent the extra space from being used for VFs and other large structures. People should not be forced to run all the way from the start back to the middle, and I for one do not want people wasting jeeps and other vehicles just so they don't have to run very far.

2. I agree with limiting turrets on the rooftops, but I posit that turrets should almost never be globally removed from a commander-style map.

20. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Add a pillar in the middle of the roof so splash damage always hits the turrets.