Altored Empires

Discussion in 'General' started by tylerp9p, Mar 23, 2008.

1. tylerp9p

tylerp9p Member

Ok everyone, I uploaded the last 1.8 release. This fixes a lot of the bugs with the NF Leclerec, it tones down most of the weapons because they were too powerful, and just cleaned up the files (removed white space, uneeded comments, etc) and it adds the 20MM Vulcan cannon in.

Enjoy.

2. taiiat

taiiat Member

well ive seen it on empires even without the mod yet. il get it today. but when i saw it, the server was empty... and..... OOOHHH, a vulcan cannon? yes! now the only thing the mod needs is the 30MM bushmaster. it can blast apart 7ft of concrete. explosive bullets that cost $50 each(that also have air burst ability)=complete ownage.

3. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Lucky you, I can't even connect.

Is the server online 24/7?

4. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Some people, like me, want to play this, but don't want their Empires scripts changed. MAKE IT RUN OUT OF ITS OWN FOLDER! Theres 2 ways to do this, the best method would really be both. First off, make it so it runs out of a different folder, like 'Altored Empires.' With the scripts, include instructions for installation that specify that the person needs to copy-paste their Empires installation and rename the copy 'Altored Empires' and then replace the scripts with their own. This system should be fairly simple, means you will have a FUNCTIONAL SERVER BROWSER, and players wont have to ^%(# up their Empires installation to play this. The second method is pretty much the same, but make it a easier installation that is basically a zipped copy of clean Empires installation that has the special scripts. This way players have choices.

Regardless, for this to survive, you NEED to make it run out of its own folder so it can co-exist with an Empires installation.

On a side note, version numbering would probably be best done as "Altored Empires <Current Official Empires Version> - <Altored Empires Version>". It would, at present time, look like "Altored Empires V2.12 - 1.8"

5. taiiat

taiiat Member

OR, you could be smart and have a second copy of empires with a changed title of icon. i changed the icon, adding a big ass red A on it so i know its the altored. its very simple. a lot of programs can open .tga's. so stop complaining and just fix the problem.

6. KILLX

KILLX Banned

taiiat, you really need to learn more before you post. The server browser will not show any servers unless the same folder name is used. I know from first hand experience, as being a tester means I must swap my 2 empires folders if I want a server list instead of looking up an IP every time.Your the one that needs to stop complaining, I have yet to see a tech related post from you that isn't total bullshit.

7. tylerp9p

tylerp9p Member

Thanks for that KILLX. I posted in the forums on my site explaining how we want to do it for the V2 release.

I am going to code up an installer that will copy your empires directory (minus scripts), and put it in a seperate folder, install our custom stuff, and change names/icons/etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

YES, both servers are only 24/7.

I had it down for maintenance though to install the new SourceMod release.

8. taiiat

taiiat Member

hmm. i see that you are right. in theory it should work. well, im just gonna install another copy. so its still possible to have 2 copies work together. but you ended up right.

9. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Make a folder called altored empires, and place your servers script folder (a copy of it) into there.

Zip and send that folder with a txt document telling users exactly how to swap out the folders so that nothing goes wrong and they don't lose their original scripts.

Playing with scripts is fun, easy, but not everyone can afford to start a server and maintain that server with updates and fixes to their own scripts to balance it more. As you have this advantage, don't be a complete douche about it, work on your PR and help everyone have fun. I've been working on a way to trick the script files for weapons to read a second script file, possibly one in a different folder. So far, no luck, but I have a few more ideas that I need to test out when I have the time. If It works, I'll post it somewhere for you.

10. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Dude, its sooooooooo much easier to just copy your Empires installation to "Altored Empires" then add the changed files. Much cleaner, gives access to both Altored and normal Empires without folder swapping or IP memorizing, and its simple enough for the basic user.

11. tylerp9p

tylerp9p Member

I already solved the problem people.

ITS CALLED A CUSTOM CODED INSTALLER.

12. KILLX

KILLX Banned

I know, I was talking to Metal Smith.

13. tylerp9p

tylerp9p Member

Ah, ok.

14. taiiat

taiiat Member

lol? short enough post? and btw, killx, i tried that. you cant get a server list, the game isnt called empires anymore. you have to install another copy, and then import the scripts. but for the people with small HDD's, that would be a prob. i am having a slight space prob, i gotta re arrange stuff a bit.

15. tylerp9p

tylerp9p Member

Any true gamer who wanted to run modded games would have an extra 2GB

16. tylerp9p

tylerp9p Member

I finished up the installer.

It is simple, clean, and idiot proof.

It is faster than any other way I could have done it and works no matter where you have Steam installed.

17. tylerp9p

tylerp9p Member

Well, everything works exactly how I planned.

Altored Empires V2 works completely seperate from Empires 2.12 with its own directory, own links on the My Games page, and with its own sever browser game category.

Altored Empires V2 will not detect regular Empires servers and vice versa.

18. E-carus

E-carus Member

Wow soo much happens while I`m at work.

19. tylerp9p

tylerp9p Member

If I had more Pepsi I would be getting much more done, lol.

20. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Congratulations for inserting aircraft in Empires.