Your Opinion on this Music

Discussion in 'General' started by Contraceptive SpongeBob, Jan 28, 2008.

?

What is your opinion

1. Scrap it

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Rewrite it

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. I'm adding it to my playlist!

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Use it for something else (specify what)

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. Contraceptive SpongeBob

Contraceptive SpongeBob Member

My first two attempts at doing music have come up a bit short, in almost everyone's opinions (I took a copy to my mother, my harshest critic, and she says they're too movie-esque.)

I've tried to get a bit more abstract, but still it seems too... well, movie-ish. I am used to doing movies, so that's what the problem seems to be. Directors/Producers/Writers love dramatic music that conveys emotion, but Gamers seem to dislike it, as it impedes on the mood of the game if the game is in opposition to that emotion.

The main theme comes at about 1:42.

So I tried to go more and more abstract, this is my 3rd try of this theme. Vote for the choice that suits you.
    Empires-Demo 1 - 3 Unmastered

Code:
    2008 BMI, CMP music, all rights reserved.  Licenced for non-commercial use only.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

needs more cowbell... haha nah but really the lead synth could prolly use more reverb.. and it sounds a little depressing.. what would be awesome is some round keys(like rhode kinda soundin) to replace the depressing sound half way thru it and then add some more percussion.. I really like the gong/big drums tho..

but then agian I dunno if it will be used in game so you might be wasting your time.. but I like it :D

3. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

I run a recording studio and would be happy to master them when you're done

4. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

awhh so do I! go thru me!! haha :p its cool I got enough customers :cool:

im pretty sure this guy gots his own setup to do that tho

5. Contraceptive SpongeBob

Well, it's a synth, but it's a very expensive sophisticated orchestra emulation device that they use in TV shows and some movies. It's a VST device made by Garritan (I also have some other ones, but Garritan is pretty nice, EastWest are kind of dry IMO). I've used several programs in the past, like Pro-Tools, which I don't like. I use Cubase now.

Remember, I do this for a living, so assume that I know what I'm talking about. I also have most equipment you could imagine my needing, so I'm fine with that. If I don't have it, I know someone who will let me use it. I also have some symphony instruments that I can manually play over the recordings, so try to guess when it's me!

If you want to mess with it, though, go ahead. As long as you don't sell it, it's fine.

6. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

Overall, I really like it. You should name it 'Aftermath' or 'Victory?' - the whole 'horrors of war' idea.

It took me a few listens to figure out what seemed subtly wrong about the first thirty seconds or so; it's the horns. The sudden stop and start of each note doesn't seem quite right. Why don't you try either fading them more over the last half-note or so of each, or don't leave any gap at all. The only other thing that I noticed is that the gong and timpanies seem to be out of tune and clash with the melody.

Beyond those admittedly minor points, it is an awesome piece of work that you should be proud of. Bravo!

7. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

As I have only a limited idea about how to produce songs in todays modern day and age; take my opinion that of a regular Empires gamer :p

The "Gong" made it seem a bit oriental, I dont know if I am alone. The song seemed too calm for the two Empires; considering that "Jekotia" and the "Brenodi" are two empires that have been at eachother's throats for well over a 100 years, that theme song is just too tame. At one point the idea "Funeral March" jumped through my mind...

Two factions are militaristic in nature, so they would want something that sends their citiznens into a zelous rage, making them scream the name of their Empire in tears.

This type of song would be perfect in a shot after the battle, where you see the smoking ruins of both sides. But as for the "Main Meat" "Empire Anthem" it falls a bit on the calm side...

In short: A gret composition in itself, but is too calm for any Empire anthem or even the main theme.

Suggestion: Take a listen to the music that plays in the menu and blow it up to a grander scale.

Im looking foward to anything else you will make :D

8. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

Oh, come on, now. Don't you think that that is being a little shellfish? :p

9. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

10. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

It would do good for a slow cutscene towards the end of the game when the main character's trusty vulgar mouthed black friend that was the one who ran headfirst into any situation finally dies from 40+ gunshots wounds.

11. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

haha Yeah I know what a VST's are.. I have downloaded a few illigally(yay torrents save me money) myself for sony acid pro.. They sound alright but really sound so artifical compared to the real thing(im guessin to a trained ear) but a little reverb can make it harder to tell.. This is a real nice composition tho I wasnt tryin to make it seem like you dont what your doin.. I kno skill when I hear it :D haha evan gots some skills in the music department too.. If only he put as much time into promoting his music as he does for this game.. LOL he would probably giggin around the globe by now :cool:

If I find some time I mess around with it but Im producing a couple cds right now that are taking alot of my time..

Maybe you or we can redo the music already used in emp.. Right now it sounds a little ehh... like a 80s midi keyboard.. We could greatly improve the quality and maybe krenzo would use it but if not im sure if we put out an unoffical pack it would get eatin up by all these people..

12. Contraceptive SpongeBob

Well, I talked to the devs and they said the same things. I'm working on a second take. Remember, that music evolves, these things take time. The instruments sound bad at first.

The problem in the intro has to do with bowing, the notes are not ringing after the bow stops moving. I need to find a way to counteract that, like oppose the first and second violin bowing so one is changing while the other is slurring.

The symphony can be a son of a bitch, as you may know, it takes years and years of practice and learning to get it. I've been doing it a long time, and one thing I've learned is that it takes a while to get it right, even for one song. Composers have to work and rework each song. The out of time stuff is fixed, I'll just avoid overstressing the rubato. I also see it's too dark, and that's true, it does sound like the music when the black dude dies...

I guess the film makers I work for write some dark movies. In the line of fire is the big one my colleauge wrote, and that was fairly dark.

13. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

The quality is amazing; is just the theme doesnt glue :p

Get the theme nailed; and I will eat this for breakfast lunch and dinner...

14. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

I have Fruity Loops 7.

I wish i knew how to do full songs with it.

15. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Yeah of course "Good" music takes time haha.. I remember Blink-182 wrote and recorded a whole album in 2 weeks and it did really well lol.. just shows you how great MTV is at feeding the youth crap.. haha and how much the youth eats it up... But it seems like the dark feeling would fit with a war game but I think the orignal music has more of a sense of adventure to it.. To me this game is more about fun then anything and I think the music should help set that mood up

haha I have FL aswell.. Its aight but the samples it gives you to work with are shit! its better when you start using your home made samples...

16. Contraceptive SpongeBob

Fruity loops? I've heard of it. I'm pretty anti sampling though, I still write everything the old fasioned way, note by note, and then perform or program it.

17. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Lol. I forgot all about fruityloops.

I made this song in FL like 5 years ago: http://www.evanpugh.com/audio/Techno.mp3

18. Contraceptive SpongeBob

I could cut 1:41 - 2:14 to make game lost music. When a team (I guess northern faction) loses, you would hear that music. I'd prefer to do two for each team win/loss x2. If you think about it, that 30 seconds of music would fit pretty well. I'd have to cut it so it wouldn't start so loud, but think about it.

19. Hypnos

Hypnos Member

This music does not fit with the atmosphere or setting of Empires.

It would be better suited for fantasy based games but not for this game. The music is not "War-ish" enough. Although, this music does remind me of the Army Plastic Soldier games for the N64. If you could capture the atmosphere, it will work. For example, for the Northern Faction, you need to make the music feel like I am a rebel, I am aware that my enemy has better technology, we are underdogs, and the oncoming of war. For the Brenodi Empire, you need to make it feel like I am a soldier, my goal is to exterminate the rebels, I have pride for the Empire, etc. If you can translate that feeling into music, then in my opinion, it would work. Of course, that is, if you can understand what I am talking about :)

20. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

Improvements that could be made:

1. each of the cords is too long, need to be a bit faster,
    2. the main theme is good but way too late in the song,
    3. needs more drum,
    4. dont have breaks in between the cords,
    5. get rid of the japaneseyness of it, sounds too samiri, but have violins in stead of the current keyboard.

over all its a good start but just needs a little bit of a re-write and cleaning up a bit.