Your Daily Rant

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by LordDz_2, Nov 21, 2014.

1. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Thought we needed a thread like this.

I start:

I've been working at a company in my hometown for 2 weeks, today I went back to the town I study in, going by bus. When I arrive I realise that the key that I had taken with me, was not the one which opens the door, but the one that looks like it opens the door but it doesn't.

So had to call securitas and have them open the door for me. Which costs a lot of precious gold.

Fuck. :)

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I sent you my Witcher 2 code from gog, did you redeem it?

3. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

"my life sucks"

pff, at least you have fucking witcher 2

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

It's cheap on g2a last I checked, also winter sale coming

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

and lives in Scandinavia!

7. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

People keep putting my butter in the fridge.

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

6 AM wake up calls and it's past 2 AM.

9. complete_

complete_ lamer

first year of uni is hrd

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Rightly so. Keeping butter out of the fridge is wrong.

My rant:

Our internet here is super shitty, so I brought my own router out with me and replaced the shit one we have to deal with between 12 cabins, all of which are used by our company (or are empty). Suddenly, internet goes 6x as fast and people in the cabins furthest away from the router can actually get more than 1 bar. Fucking awesome.

2 days later the IT guys came round while we were at work, found the router and disconnected it, putting the old one back in. Apparently it's a "breach of contract" to have a non-shit router which has a maximum device count so low that half the people can't even fucking connect to it.

Fucking horseshit. I'm still furious. I fucking despise this camp and everyone who runs it.

11. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

lol refugge problems.

My rant:
    I can't go anywhere or go trough a normal workday without somebody telling me about their own little personal private IT problems, asking me if I mind fixing them at work or once I get back to town. :( Telling everybody to fuck of is a bad solution

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

telling them its 150 bucks per hour is a better solution - either they realize that reading google results for 15minutes solves their problem equally well or you get some nice cash.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  13. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Same thing at one of my friend's apartements, their internet was super shit until the landlord replaced all of the routers and changed ISP, and then it performed decently. After, my friend switches out their router with his own and the thing goes 3x faster. I'm pretty sure the landlord's routers are set to throttle/limit the tenants. They haven't noticed the switch out and maybe are ok with it, but for safety my friend switches them out if they go to inspect some shit.

14. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yeah I'm pretty sure the routers here are throttled. Problem is, I don't know how they actually worked it out. I mean I didn't try to hide it at first, so I gave it a new name (our company) with a different password. I didn't think there was anything against that. If they just saw the wifi when they were walking past on their phones and thought "the fuck's going on here" then obviously I can get around that by either giving it the same name as the old router or just not broadcasting the SSID, but if they just saw the device ID change at their end (I imagine the whole camp network just displays like a tree on their server) then there's nothing I can really do to hide it.

15. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

They probably just got an alert that the MAC address changed. Sure that can be spoofed easily, but you can't deny criminal intend then.

16. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

it doesnt really show much of the ITs skill that it worked in the first place.