Would this work? Using SVN to update Empires

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Koone, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Koone

Koone Member

I'm going to suggest something.

This is mostly directed towards Krenzo and the dev team. I really haven't gotten my hands into SVN, but to me, using it has been really simple. I've been seeing a recent influx of the Gmod community using SVN to update their LUA scripts and what have you.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ -- TortoiseSVN is basically a shell integration for Windows(SVN however, is Linux-based), which allows users to update folders with a single-click. It sends information to a webserver/ftp server and makes sure everything is the same. If it's not, the SVN client will download the newly updated files, making updating and testing a lot easier.

For example: We all have 1.08 RC13. We try to connect to the server and wham, game version doesn't match. So we head on over to the Sourcemods/Empires_108 Folder and right-click it and hit Update. Empires is updated and we can play again. Easy, and simple. Patches don't have to be as big, don't have to use installers and e.t.c -- Give it a whirl and let me know what you think.

EDIT: All the devs would have to do is upload the new files and change the servers files and ... that's it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  2. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Normally you should be able to connect, but a Steam update caused a bug, which prevents you from directly joining. Look Here for information on joining the server.

3. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

and destroying the romance of paying a visit to this forum and finding out theres a new RC? NEVAR!

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

That sounds like a really cool idea. I hope the devs consider this; smaller patches ftw.

Could this also be used to push map/weapon script updates faster? Hell, you could even use it for distributing custom maps.

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

The mod team I work on (for a generals mod; nothing i could hope to do on source would rival empires) uses tortious, it's really really helpful.

6. Koone

Koone Member

Pretty much. All the devs have to do is upload the new files to the SVN URL that we download from; Update the servers files and that's just about it. This is good for fixing quick bugs, adding new content on the fly, just about whatever. Think automatic update, only with a click.

However, The current size of the mod is around 1 GB, so to those beta testers who are new, would have to download all the patches, and then do SVN, but that shouldn't really be a problem. Maybe SVN could handle the big download and just have it all in one go, or we could have a _base_ install for the materials/models/maps/bigthings and have the other small stuff for SVN to handle... I don't know, it's a very flexible idea and can easily bend to work with the current situation.

Another example just for fun: Update released; Game version doesn't match so we update; Go play on server and HOLY GOD the tanks are GIANT purple BLOBS (hurray for over-exaggeration), I'm playing dur-dur-dur, guy-over-at-the-server asks if everything is alright through rcon, and I say no and we diagnose the problem... few minutes later server shuts down and I re-update my client and wha-bam, blob problem fixed! Go back in and tell guy-over-at-the-server that the issue is fixed; Play Empires for 3 hours. -- Now, this all went through my head and most likely 30% of it might actually go this way, but I hope you get the general idea behind it. lol

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  7. Caelo

Caelo Member

I'm trying to figure out why you think SVN is windows related..
    http://subversion.tigris.org/

8. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

We use SVN for source code tracking, but effort would have to be made to make such a thing easily accessible to newbies. It's just not geared towards regular users using it. There's a reason Valve made Steam to do the very thing you suggest, and I've heard of programs for mods that are supposed to do auto updating.

9. Damian

Damian Member

I agree with Krenzo, I'm sure if we had a dedicated helper who is there 24/7 for the new people on how to use it then it will be very useful.

I have experience with this program and it's very convenient to have as a developer but it's always an unconvieniance to have while there are too many new people who still cant understand it.

10. pixelized

pixelized Member

access to the svn repo would be nice.

11. Koone

Koone Member

I should add Tortoise before SVN to prevent confusion. :o

12. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

I had an idea like this a long time ago, and was going to try to make a program to do it in Multimedia Fusion 2, but I didn't like any of the file transfer methods used in any of the extensions. But apparently there is already something like this in existence. I would highly recommend doing this.

13. zimm

zimm Member

The test team of Off Limits (www.off-limits.be) uses this solution and it's really really newbie accessible ... right click, update and you're set ... the devs have write permissions.

The only thing that would take time is creating all the accounts for each tester ... or one general account for the test group.

14. Caelo

Caelo Member

*Cough* Support forum

15. Koone

Koone Member

I could whip up a very detailed and thourough F.A.Q for those new guys, and if the F.A.Q doesn't answer the question that they are asking, I'll help them along with it and update the F.A.Q (If it's not as clear as possible) to be more thourough for that specific area of support. Question: Are you guys thinking for the general public, or just 1.08 testing? Because if it's the general public, then I know what I'm up against, lol. ;)

16. Damian

Damian Member

I think it's for 1.08 testing. If Koone is up for the task then I'd say let's get under way. Of course the only man who can make it happen has the last word, let's hear what the Krenzo has to say before we go jumping the gun on this.

17. Koone

Koone Member

Indeed, I am. Krenzo has the final word, so until it is ushered, I will begin shortly afterwords.

18. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

If someone wants to set it up in a form that shows that it's user friendly enough to work, then I might be interested. I am not going to divert any of my time towards hammering out the implementation.

19. Koone

Koone Member

Here is the Guide that I just whipped up in ~2 hours. The information is non-existant until it actually exists, and is only for visual purposes as of this moment in time.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  20. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

I can't login to the googlecode thingy when i tried the first bit just now. Incorrect username/password.