Wishlist to make a tutorial map super effective.

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Metal Smith, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Member

wow. nice work

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

add dummy doors and monitor rooms looking out on the course for that portal feel

3. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

n1 metal smith. Is the map finished or will you add vehicle courses and/or weapon ranges too?

4. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

There is already a vehicle / com course. Firing range is still there somewhere if we wanted to add it back in.

Just waiting on some stuff to force people to spawn at the tutorial start.

5. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Well you could try to do a client-side script that runs automatically after map start

6. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

That is exactly what I want to do point_clientcommand, would be simple as hell but I have 2 problems. I don't know the commands for joining team, choosing class. And I don't know how to select specific spawn points with commands.

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Jointeam. There's your first. There's a command for choosing your class too if I remember rightly, I used to use it to be engineer with revive, NF assault rifle, mortar and mines.

8. Empty

Empty Member

Which pistol.

9. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

changeclass, changesidearm, changeprimary, changegrenade, changeequipment, changeskill are your friends. They all take one int as a param. You will have to toy around with it yourself tho.

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Can you select a spawn point?

That would be the most beneficial thing here.

11. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

I think we might have the spawn point thing solved if MOOtants things pull through. I was fucking around with team class and skill, only one that I got working was jointeam 3 for be. Class and skills it kept telling me was invalid

12. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

How about you guys have the BARRACKS SPAWN only after they start the tutorial?

THAT WAY, only one spawn point is available, and they still get used to having to choose their spawn point (which should be part of the tutorial). Then you can have the barracks spawn once they have already spawned. Seems simple enough.

13. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

you obviously never even touched the tutorial I sent you. The tutorial part itself is off the minimap screen

14. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

god cpatton

15. complete_

complete_ lamer

we know

16. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Other option is to make it 2 maps, and have a point command to change level at the end of the basics section.

17. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

.... What the hell does that have to do with it? or are you saying that's exactly how it is going to be in the end? Lol, it didn't occur to me that you'd actually intend such an effect.

18. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Game checks if it hasn't ended by checking if every team has at least 1 spawn point or has players alive. No barracks, no players -> end of the game.

19. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

That doesn't sound right MOOtant. Otherwise maps like district, etc. would not exist obviously.

I'm not saying no spawn points, I'm saying only one spawn point. I assume (although im rather confused after the flak from the last few posts lol so I could be wrong) that the problem is that they see multiple spawn points, and we want to force the player to choose a single spawn point. Namely, the tutorial spawn, which is not in a barracks. So if there are no barracks present on the map at the time of initial spawning, the player would have an obvious choice and the problem would be solved.

Of course Keef's answer implies he intends that the initial spawn point not even be visible within the minimap area, which would make my suggestion useless. As I said before, I just didn't think that was the intended effect.

20. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

If the spawnpoints of the barracks are an issue, cant you just add the model of the barracks instead a real barracks?