Windows 8 and Empires

Discussion in 'General' started by vipervicki, Oct 28, 2012.

1. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

Does the mod work with 8?

2. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

It should. I use Win8 and I'm fine with everything Source-related.

3. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

There isn't really any reasons to use windows 8 over windows 7 though.

4. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Sure there is... they'll EOL W7 and stop OEM licensing!

5. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Like I care, before Win 7 dies, we should reach win 12 and thus 5 new versions for us to pick.

hurray.

Anyway, let's hope Microsoft didn't learn a shit from XP.
    People gets too lazy to "move on" when the current OS is just good enough. (Look at the amazingly long life of XP)
    How to make money? Make more shitty products and kill the old ones.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

XP was fucking terrible. Vista was piss poor. Windows 7 is the Magnus Opus of Microsoft, and the master of all Operating Systems.

7. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Except when it comes to network setup and configuration.

Then there is all the micro configurations you can no longer do(not just talking networking now)... its all taken away from you like your a complete retard and are given a rubber switch that says "on" and "off". What about being able to get down further into things and changing things? Nope... its on or off... that is all you get. Ohh wait... there is... what color do you want?

</end hate>

The rest of it is "fine". Just give me better networking tools and some more customization and I would be happy with it. OHH except the lack of good sound support for creative since I have one but, thats on creative(since they are now shit(and have been since before vista came out) when it comes to drivers... worse then Intel when it comes to gfx I might say)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  8. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Windows XP was fucking beautiful. Stable as fuck, much more configurable, much simpler. Windows 7 has more to it, but it's nowhere near as sleek as XP was.

And I believe you're forgetting the beauty that was Windows 95.

9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Would still get a box with Windows 9x on it just to play some legacy ass games that you can't play on XP and above..

10. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

MS home users won't upgrade their os until they hw refresh, unless they need to.
    Mac users will upgrade(update) because they wany a new shiny clicky thing
    linux users will recompile.

But ms only really care about business with OLP. They do a great job supporting legacy products, you can't really expect new adopters to shoulder the cost of supporting 10 year old products.

Yes ms have fluffes some user experience stuff but vista sp2 was fine and try running large networks of any desktop other than windows. It sucks. The simple truth is that ms has seamleas integration with the server suites that enable actual productivity and no one else is anywhere close holistically. Cloud stuff is all well and good, but it'll hit a glass ceiling soon enough.

Edit: I'm no MS fanboy, I have to support all kinds of server and desktop OS, but microsoft is way more progressive than any software vendor, except in hypervisors where VMware owns

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  11. complete_

complete_ lamer

windows xp doesnt even recognize that i have an ethernet cable connected. it used to take forever to hook that crap up when i formatted my hard drive. ubuntu and 7 connect to the internet out of the box

fuck xp to hell

12. Trickster

Stable my ass. Out of 6 different installs of XP, not one was stable. Win 95 and 98 were both good, but ME/2000 and XP were horrible. Vista was bad unless you had a really stacked PC, in which case it was just terribly bloated. It was still more stable than XP for me. But 7? 7 is a masterpiece, a triumph of software engineering. It's stable, expandable, and just about every other positive adjective I could possibly think of. 7 is fucking wonderful.

13. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I agree excpet right now the upgrade is only $39.99 and I was told that in January it goes up to $200.00

14. ViroMan

I do remember reading something about this price being temporary. However it still doesn't matter to me... they could charge $10 and I still wouldn't buy it.

15. Trickster

You can PAY for windows?!

[​IMG]

16. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Every time I installed XP, it worked perfectly fine for me. Either I'm a lucky sonova'bitch or you're one unlucky motherfucker.

17. ViroMan

Its one of the few things I am a stickler about. I pay for my OS. I may download games on torrents but, if I like them enough I buy them. Movies on the other hand.... nah WAY overpriced.

18. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

MS are basically giving away Win 8 for free, most students can get it for free via Dreamspark and if you got a valid Win 7 install you can upgrade for 15€ here, MS doesn't check when you bought your PC.

I agree that security wise you shouldn't torrent your OS. Everything else you can check for viruses and backdoors, but if your OS is manipulated you have no chance of ever finding it out.

19. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

OS are the only things I never torrent. Official support is always necessary and viruses become worse when your OS itself comes with them.

20. Trickster

Then you get an untouched MSDN version and compare the MD5 to Microsoft's. It's not difficult.