Wiki Restoration Project?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Avatarix, Jul 18, 2016.

?

Would you like to participate?

1. Yup

80.0%
  2. In what?

20.0%
  1. Avatarix

r

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  2. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

If the wiki is made up to date it would be a great help. It should be made more visible too. I'm currently making a panel in the main menu which will have a link to the forums to massively increase traffic and reduce player attrition, maybe we can do something similar with a wiki link to help newbies/people who want to improve.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

to be fair, wiki was gone till a few weeks ago, maybe 2 month if its long cant really tell.

i once had an account, it seems it wasnt either flasche nor the beloved wrong spelling flashe :D

4. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

It was spelled right, I think all the old accounts are gone though. You'll have to ask Smithy for a new one with the same name

5. Caelorum

Caelorum Member

I don't have much time for this, but I do want to help whenever I can :)

6. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

I'm not in charge of the wiki, I do have administrative powers on there but I can't give people permissions. As far as I know all of the past user accounts are gone. There are no active account's under Flasche/Flashe usernames, so you should have no issue creating a new one using those names (I think...) :grinnf:

I haven't visited the wiki recently but I can see that some people have made accounts and started fixing stuff so good job. The wiki is something that requires a bit of man power to keep it up to date, and since it has been dormant for so long is mostly incorrect information.

As stated on the wiki - if anyone wants to contribute to the wiki, you need to make an account on there and send a private message via the forums to @Thexa4 , @Tama or @GregariousJB.

7. flasche

oh its open registration again. will make an acct at a time :D

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Wait until the UI is redone and save yourself lots of work

???

profit

some things are meant to be dead.

9. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

This isn't happening, at least I haven't heard of it. What he means is you can look at the wiki for that information.

10. flasche

if you read that with the history of empires gui-redesign in mind this says wait for another few years^^

no offense to our current devs meant.

11. complete_

complete_ lamer

the wiki is a lot of hard work

12. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

I've only been playing properly since 2011 but here's the very short history from it seems to be according to how the vtfs are done

-Empires is made with a bunch of placeholders that are never meant to stick. Everything is that ugly light blue, squad menu doesn't even have art, very simple. The research menu sucks but nobody expects it to be like it is now for long

-some guy (Daruck, I believe) comes along and reskins everything but is never taught how to do things properly so saves everything as a very low quality file type and doesn't realize alpha channels exist so it's the same shit but with less blue

@Avatarix
    He means you're going to have to take screenshots of everything again. Which is fine, that's honestly not so bad so starting early is still a good idea

13. flasche

yes devo (i like that abbreviation, i hope you dont mind), i just meant that we have been promised code support or rather a completely new gui implementation so many times now and yet were still stuck with what you describe.

i have no reason to not trust any of the new devs, i was talking about events years back now.

14. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Honestly, its become kind of a modern "blimps when".

15. complete_

complete_ lamer

no one ever told me what mipmaps were or what dtx5 did so i put them in my maps

not my fault!

16. GregariousJB

GregariousJB Member Staff Member Web Developer

Actually, the private message is only recommended if you need help editing it, not if you want to contribute. Anyone can register and contribute whatever they like. I've installed strong enough spam countermeasures that even guests (non-registered) could edit it, I just like to take it a step further and require registration so we know who's doing what.