why pursue realism?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lithium, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Jackman

Jackman Member

Like Chris says, as long as the models are well done and they inter-match, empires will look good. But the models, gui and maps all have to work together

2. Feofilakt

Feofilakt Member

I've always been partial to the aesthetic of Maschinen Krieger:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously, a more stylized version of that would be even better, but I do see that the criticisms of the art direction are valid.

3. Trilobite

Trilobite Member

I can try contibuting some concept sketches to help direct the avenue to take for the style of the game, but I'm going to require some ideas to know what people are actually looking for.

So far, I see people mostly agreeing they want the aesthetic to be more stylized, but not cartoony, which is cool, but I think it needs to be a little more descriptive than that.

For instance, apparently the Nf are genetically altered (not that you'd know that to look at them right now), so how drastic should that display itself in members of that faction? Should they only barely look human? Or should it be subtle things (changes in the eyes and adjustments to body structure)?

And the Bernodi apparently uses a lot of nanotechnology, so what would be a good way to get that point across?

I've only been playing Empires for a little while, so while I have some concepts of my own, I'd really like some direction from the more established players who have a better feel for the qualities of the factions and what they'd like to see.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  4. Feofilakt

Feofilakt Member

I'm in favor of the NF only looking barely human, to convey (in a visual sense) that they are genetically altered. As it stands now they look like normal humans so the genetically altered aspect of the story has no part in the visual experience of the game.

The Brenodi should probably have a transhuman aesthetic, probably something around the point of singularity.

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I'm just gonna interject here as this topic caught my eye.

You should keep in mind that the Northern Faction are stronger, faster, better as a result of tweaking nature and the Brenodi Empire because of their focus on technology.

This would mean things like double ribcages, maybe denser bone structures and strengthened muscles for NF. This probably ends up with a lot of muscle definition and prominent bone structures apparent in concepts. Possibly strong troops like riflemen and grenadiers will be a lot bulkier, while scouts streamlined. Engies are probably the 'default' race look, or what would be average.

For Brenodi Empire you might want to take a page from other nano-tech games...but i'm not really quite sure how this should be. The devs might have a different concept, but if you start with a kinda dark veined theme mebbe, and work from there. Really dark eyes might be a cool concept to try - almost completely black eyes could be a side effect of the augmentation and would probably look pretty cool (at least out of game :p). You might want to go with a little bit of tech, like metallic gloves and other technological themes running across the clothes or as clasps etc. I wouldn't say use a lot of that though, but pouches and toolbelts given a metallic look, as opposed to NF's cloth low-tech look. You could probably draw on sci-fi stuff to augment the uniform here and there, nothing overdone though...these guys still fight in the flesh...just not as much flesh as NF :p

Anyway, that's probably my take on concepts...hope that was helpful a little bit.

6. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Make both factions shirtless. NF is mutated to hell like a L4D Tank, BE is covered with integrated electronics, like a T-400 :D

Joking aside, I think Ikalx has a good direction. To build on BE, there should be a small metal plate on the skull somewhere, where the nano-computer and other neural technology is installed, and the res of the body should have other signs of integrated electronics. BE uses technology for things like skeletal reinforcement (their bones are veined with metal), and they have nano-mechanical augmentations that essentially increase their speed by motor-assisting their joints.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I love the idea of skeletal reinforcement, motorised though? I thought the end product of nanotech would be more like JC Denton...technology without the tech, lol. Although I guess the Borg are really messed up, and they're nano...hmm..

8. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

The impression I got from Angry or Megel, cant remember who, was motor assisted joints linked into the nervous system and ultimately the brain and the integrated computer implanted into the brain.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

That's wicked...I never thought they were mechanised to that extent. There's a lot to play with in that case ^^

10. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Actually both faction would need different weapons and tools
    if you want to make it believeable. You can always keep the grim
    ww2 feeling and even push it further but I think the weapons and
    equipment of both faction should represent the technology they have.

11. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

I like that the art design of the troops isn't hyperbolic, they're not muscled super troopers or pretending to be manly, they're just men with guns. I think this is good.

I think that a certain amount of grittiness is good about empires, it gives it a grounding in reality. Of course, it would be nice if the models were prittier, but I wouldn't give empires any cleaner a look. I'm sure there's a stylised design out there that would work, but good luck getting it implemented.

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

That is possibly the most awesome thing I've ever seen.

However it will be even more awesome if it includes luca turilli/rhapsody album art.

I wanna shoot some dragons with my robot lasers.

13. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

we can combine this with the need for silhouette differences to tell what ppl are from a distance.

scout: sneaky, fast
    NF: slender build, scales covering body, only clothing is an ammo belt, bulgy eyes and/or cat eyes.

lots of reptile genes for staying stationary for extended periods, shorts bursts of high energy to sprint, and the whole chameleon skin thing to explain hide and the eyes for enhanced senses.

BE: very lanky, long arms/legs, slightly darker/lighter skin than other models (nanites used for hide), no face only a solid black hood with super high tech looking goggles.

think a mix between inque from batman beyond (http://dcanimated.wikia.com/wiki/Inque but without all that weird stuff) and snake from G.I.joe.

riflemen: good aim, can take the most hits
    NF: eagle eyes, grey wrinkly hide (rhino or elephant), average build, bulky vest.

he has the vest and the hide to emphasize that he can take a few hits and keep moving.

BE: solid build, solid white eyes, a wire connecting the gun into the arm through the wrist, as close to power armor as you can without getting you shot by the dev team.

do i really need to explain this?

gren: ambushes tanks / flushed out infantry / best at "trench" warfare (or at least wall warfare).

... i cant think of anything. my mind keeps going to big and tough but that is just not how grens work in empires so the models shouldnt look like they are.

engy: nothing special except for a magic calculator
    NF: same model, maybe some funky eye color or something

BE: same model, maybe something like the calculator plugging into their arm or something

14. Omneh

Omneh Member

Obviously BE should look like this:
    [​IMG]

And NF like this:
    [​IMG]

Thats sensible, right?

15. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

As a general idea, yes. Obviously rather different from the posted pics, but that general idea IMO would fit well.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It'd look retarded.

You don't need to know specific classes in empires because all classes shoot you and all classes need to be shot.

The only class which you might need to know is the grenadier because he has the mortar, and the RPG on his shoulder and mortar shells flying everywhere are fairly good indicators of that, but everyone else shoots bullets and is killed the same way.

Tanks on the other hand could use some more visual indicators as to what weapons they have, what armor they're using, how much armor they have etc.

17. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

MmmMmmMMmMmMmMMMmm...

I'm not really sure we want to go so far as to polarise the two factions like that. Sure, they should be different, but the differences shouldn't exclude the fact that they are basically human. The difficulty in all this, from my point of view, is that it has to be understated and yet noticeable, to give the effect of two quite different factions, without overtly showing major differences.

18. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Every class should look different, rifleman should have different models for with or without dig in

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I should be ruler of the universe, do not argue my word is law I do not have to substantiate my claims.

20. Jackman

Jackman Member

I feel as though I'd like to see noticeably different models. WHAT is the downside? Seriously? You know who your enemies are, which you would anyways IRL. A scout has hide so he is invisible. It all works out great.

;) Also, I can finally spawn and look around and know if I got auto-switched. It will save endless rounds of shotty pistol meant for my enemies, but shot at my teammates.

I thought they didn't have internet connections for patient use at the funny farm...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009