Why players tend to stick together at one place?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by -=SIP=-, Aug 18, 2009.

1. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Just had such a game yesterday on emp_cyclopean.

I was BE commander and we didn't managed to get NW at startup. And later the team refuses to buy tanks and defend ninja barracks at west.
    So it ended as usual: Enemy took our main base and we started to turtle in city. We had resources for some reflective, ranged heavies but they died soon.

Then instead of going out and take back the refineries the whole team (23 players!!!) were fighting in city. I told them many times, that I need not the whole team for defence. But as usual nobody left city.

I just felt like watching a football match of small kids. There you see no strategy because everybody runs after the ball. :rolleyes:

2. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

YOUR TEAM SUCKED THATS SO NoT ROJO CALIENTE

3. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

It's because sheep tend to stick together.

4. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

New players tend to do this alot, I was playing slaughtered the other day and instead of spreading out to avoid the nadespam, people were all "DERP DERP" and huddled together in a huge clusterfuck.

I guess you feel safer in a group?

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

hahaha classic ...

cyclopean city is THE nub magnet ... the roof rax makes it even worse. instead of fighting of the enemy on the ground (where the cv is in the end) at a certain point they only camp those fcking rooftops.

i feel with you ... :'(

6. Drag

Drag Member

Player spawns with the class he likes to play, for whatever reason.

Empires, shitty game that it is, forces him to decide where he will haul his ass to get some action.

Player picks the place where people of his team are due to increased probability of the enemy being there too.

Player sooner or later respawns.

He chooses the same place again because he knows that there are enemies, he also knows this part of the map and the current battle situation there.

If his spawn has been destroyed he gets all mopey and loses confidence in his team, his team is likely to lose if they don't get a spawn near an important place up. (thus the frequent rax-spam)

What to blame:
    - low battlefield awareness and ability to abstract
    - "I have been killed by guy x and I want to get back at him" also called small penis complex
    - eye-strain minimap that does not tell people where the fights are
    - inadequate visual indication where the commander wants them to go or why, unless the commander is actively herding them they will get worse and worse.

What will make it worse:
    - Making maps with with useless areas, cut everything that is not a refinery point or a strategic position and you have a good map
    - possibly more :P

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Wierd, when i play cyclopean everyone goes to island or Northwest and there are only 4 people in city.

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I usually get all my kills cause I run around the enemy "herd", almost everyone usually only looks into one direction.

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Because they're enjoying themselves, there's a fun battle going on and they don't feel like leaving it.

Therefore, the game must make the battle most fun where it is most needed, and ensure players know both that it will be fun and where they are needed.

10. o_O

o_O Member

City is a clusterfuck, its almost not worth the 2 ref points it has. Do everything you can to keep people away from there because all it really takes is 2-3 people to contest it and trade the refs back and forth all game. Roofrax especially is a retard magnet that sucks in half your team and never lets go, basically ensuring you loose the rest of the map AND the 2 city refs.

11. MiamiHeat87

MiamiHeat87 Member

City should be a great strategic area to hold seeing how it is both a very defensible area as well as closest to the middle refineries. You would think holding the city would be most important.

Next time I command on Cyclopean, i'll direct my team towards the Northwest more often and study how it tends to work out. Currently I only command Brenodi and that NW corner is more favorable for the Northern Faction team.