Why don't you have better / more stringent moderation of the forums?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Metal Smith, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Is this mod dead now officially? Like, 90% of the people who I knew who gave a fuck about it stopped giving a fuck about it because of trolls in the game and on the forums.

Just sayin.

2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

What kind of more stringent moderation would you like? I tend to pay attention to threads that discuss gameplay and suggestions. There are a few meta-gameplay threads like those of FN that discuss the competence of players, and that is what is discussed, although it may seem off-topic.

In off-topic, it's pretty much fair game.

3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

What do you mean, you're basing your observations on a thread written by FN, Empires' second most egotistical player. I doubt people stopped playing cause they read the forums, I'm sure it's because new games came out and they went to play them, and a lot of the players who were in highschool are now in uni, or have full-time jobs. Don't worry though, every saturday and sunday we get some good games.

And the biggest troll on the forums, Spartacus, got like a week of a ban the other day. Quality control is still definitely here.

4. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Wait.

Presumably you mean things like handing out infractions for obviously posting threads in the wrong place?

Is this a test? (I didnt even notice the pun when I typed this out)

5. мrвlυeѕĸy

мrвlυeѕĸy Member

I was wondering the same thing...

Suppose it depends how you interpret "Testing Discussion"... is it a discussion ABOUT testing... or a discussion that HAPPENS TO BE testing.

6. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I guess it's just me getting on the forum for the first time in (if someone can give me a time frame) whatever it is, and I see FN has a thread bitching about how people are upset at him because he's too good. Then every time someone tries to talk about something related to people not playing because they keep getting roffle stomped by his awesomeness, he just complains that they just aren't good enough to play.

It just blows my mind. Most games either have a healthy amount of these players or they moderate the fuck out of them so that they just go away :P

7. Empty

Empty Member

People complain forever if I so much as lock a thread for legitimately breaking the rules.

Do you have any idea the shitstorm I'd have to deal with if I started locking peoples threads because I (or any other moderator) thought the thread quality was shit?

8. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Nobody will hate you if you only do it to paradox.

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Moderator decisions will always be unpopular with the vocal minority. Look at Vicki being talked into all the stuff on VIPER. Look at the forums for any big competitive game after a balance nerf.

Look at your government when it tries to restrict your freedoms or raise the tax levels. If you try to be a lawful mod you'll get flac for it from some peopole, but quite a few will be silently grateful for what you've done.

10. Empty

Empty Member

Only trickster is allowed to bully paradox.

11. FN198

FN198 Member

don't you kids have anything better to do than whine about me?

12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

This last couple of days there have actually been quite a few shit-threads, most made after this thread was actually created. If I get some time tomorrow night, I'm going to do some house-cleaning. I don't really plan on banning anyone, just locking/moving shitty threads.

13. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

What constitutes as a shitty thread, because I work hard of my game threads.

I spend at-least 20 minutes gathering information and compiling it into a few paragraphs so nobody has to sit there and read 5 minutes worth of text.

The shit that only bugs me is the derailment of threads which usually happens in the topics I create.
    If I make an XCOM thread I expect people to either read or discuss it, not talk about dota.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  14. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Trust me, he didn't mean your threads at all. It was, I assume, mostly about the shit-flinging stuff that popped up from FN and Paradox that tipped the scale which was slowly building up over time.

15. FN198

FN198 Member

it's largely ironic that metal smith:
    • posts this thread in the wrong section
    • complains about lack of moderation
    • and was the main accomplice in the derailing of my thread

@metal smith,
    you whine about trolls, but it's clear to see that you're the one actually shitting things up.

16. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Just add me to your ignore list and ask that this thread be locked or deleted if it bothers you that much. No hard feelings.

I'll be honest though, FN, I had misinterpreted your thread as a complaint against the admin's interfering with a game for a very particular reason, and I responded to that reason with my arguments. It had nothing to do with you personally. Just the situation.

17. FN198

FN198 Member

it's not your posts that bother me metal smith, it's your unfathomable lack of reading comprehension skills and the consequences it has on users other than myself. your comments on that thread were entirely unrelated to the original issue of admin abuse breaking the causal link between dead cvs and game wins/losses. i say 'unfathomable' because let's be honest, you're just trolling.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013