why does this community hate defensive suggestions

Discussion in 'General' started by SirSnipes, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

How is that different from 'Build walls that get deconned unless you keep engineers away from the far side' defence?

2. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

TBH, people who are saying this are just comparing it to what walls can do now, and they're right to do so. But there is seriously nothing wrong with having a bit more art and variety, even though it adds little to gameplay that walls don't already give. ofc, gameplay comes first in development, and extra art is just to sort of finish up.

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

well, the change would be in that infantry can just run trough, so a good squad could just take control of the building

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Infantry can already run through walls, usually they have gaps in them and they're easily deconned if they don't.

And I don't think taking control of a building which could be recycled by the enemy commander is something many infantry would want to do.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

they would if that building is preventing there tanks from rushing in

if the enemy commander recycles it then he just helps the other team

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Not really because he exposes a large number of enemies when they least expect it, getting lots of kills and giving his tanks an advantage, it's the same principle as recycling your walls when they have turrets behind them. And you have not addressed why it's useful in the first place.

7. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

Chris, those walls would take like, a minute to set up. some kind of bunker would be instant. That's your difference. Oh, and it looks nicer than a spamfuck of walls.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

it was just an idea, i didn't say it was useful

its an idea that i suggested a long time ago -bunker (the anti tank walls)

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Make walls instant building and see how stupid having instant defences is.

'It looks nice' is not a good rationalisation for making gameplay changes, especially gameplay changes that will probably fuck the game up quite badly.

10. No. 6

No. 6 Member

Have you seen my battle bunker concept in the mapping section?

11. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Hey chris what I think their trying to go for is a dedicated structure that blocks tanks, provides light cover for infantry, but easily penetrated by infantry, as the current wall method to them seams unintentional/unpolished/stupid. To them I say if its stupid and it works, ITS NOT STUPID.

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Some proper low walls which could be made into proper crouch cover would be handy, because you could use them on maps where normal walls would be disallowed, but other than that I find walls to be quite acceptable.

Maybe allowing commanders to specify preset groups of walls which can be loaded up like a stamp later, that might be nice, but it'd be a low priority because it's just prettification really.

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

[​IMG]

something like this, be and nf versions

be are dragon teeth, lots of cover if you duck, pretty exposed if you stand up and very easy to get trough

northern faction are iron welded beams and iron rommel asperges, providing not as much cover but they do reach higher and allow easier movement of infantry from inside to outside then from outside to inside

1 = asperges, iron beams put diagonally in concrete with or without support, stopping tanks in there path

wooden ww2 examples
    http://www.dday-overlord.com/img/dday/mda/asperges_de_rommel.jpg

2 = the known welded beam tank blockade

3 = dragon teeth concrete pillar able to stop tanks

large barricade example
    http://www.bunkerpictures.nl/pictures/nederland/schoorl/camperduin/Dragon teeth-14.JPG

4 estimated tank size

5 normal wall size

green = player hight and with

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  14. Jonat

Jonat Member

I'd love a low bunker-like object armoured at the top (to protect from artillery) but be vulerable to tanks/infantry. (maybe more infantry than tanks?)

You could have it sloped so vehicles can get over it - so it's not a blockage but a defened anti-tank/infantry/artillery area. This would solve "impassable" death bases without compromising movement. You could also price them like 200-300 (or more).

And to top it off, you could even limit the field of vision - making placement very important. (ie, door in the back and only 45 degrees left and right from the center is open to use as firing from.)

Obviously, to make it challenging for an assault, it would have to have a narrow vent to fire out of, otherwise it'll be too easy to kill the occupants.

15. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

The thing is though you create ANTI DEFENCE WEAPONS to counter the defences that you have implamented. I mean, ANY defence can be defeated with artillary.

16. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

artillery is the main way to remove a installation

17. Aeoneth

Aeoneth Member

right now... armories are my battle bunkers.

18. Jimather

Jimather Member

Armouries should be remodelled to be the battle bunkers proper imo.

19. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

The only way to get anywhere turtling is to buy ninjas time. Ninjas are pathetic sacks of shit that end a TEAM game on their own.

20. Kanore

Kanore Member

Any sort of 'Turtle' strategy is looked down on in RTS's in general I'm pretty sure.