Why do turrets...

Discussion in 'General' started by blizzerd, Oct 10, 2009.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Why do mg turrets have such high fire rate and such low damage?

why not normal damage and lower fire rate so it doesnt look like its shooting marbles, but at such high velocity and quantity that it does a little damage?

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Dunno, why they don't have inaccuracy is also a good question.

I'd prefer higher damage output but a degree of inaccuracy, as well as making the beeping noise a bit more audible so you can tell when one is nearby to prevent them being overpowered at close range by killing people before they know they're there.

3. Valiant

Valiant Member

Damn it Chris, stop being right all the dang time.

4. Demented

Demented Member

On that note, why do we need to research crappy homing missiles for tanks if ML turrets already have relatively good homing?

5. Valiant

Valiant Member

Military/industrial complex, of course.

6. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Normally you get some hits from a turret and then you go back to cover. More damage and slower shooting will just make turrets little more powerful.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

if you give turrets a way more powerful bullet, but the same damage per second in firing speed people will get the same damage as otherwise

8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

The mg turret is a bitch, you walk over the side and it starts shooting at you, it doesn't take time to stop and kinda lock onto you. If it was innacurrate and fast or shot at a slow fire rate and have a powerful bullet, the problem will kinda fix.

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

it does lock on to you actually, it turns over from its current position to the position you are at and that takes about half a second or so

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

you guys know that if you touch each and every part of the game your only archievment will be an even more fubared version ...

turrets are not real threat, they only delay your rush for the time it takes to throw three nades ...

11. Santile

Santile Banned

Well then peeps need to fix the insane turn rate or else this game would just be 2 fort except with even more sentry's at the stairs.

12. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

The turn rate for lvl 2 and 3 turrets are fine in my opinion otherwise they would not be worth researching....

13. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

would these changes be done for realism? aren't turrets completely unrealistic anyway? aren't they fine just the way it is?

14. Caelo

Caelo Member

no. IRL turrets exist also. no.
    They dont really scale along with the rest of the stuff ingame. Also they need to be mountable on walls..

15. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

If you
    Fire 1 1dps bullet every second and it takes 4 seconds to react, they take 4 dmg.
    Fire 1 5dps bullet every 5 seconds and it takes 4 seconds to react, they take 0 dmg.
    Point is, if you increase the time between shots, you can jump between cover between the shots, reducing damage that you take to almost nothing.

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

your argument makes sense on a mathematical scale, but there are enough variables involved in the game that make this problem very easily avoidable

for example, the first shot will never has to wait (standard with turrets atm), and the turret has to "lock" on the player (face the bullet outlet to the player) which takes 1 or so seconds.

i believe, and my beliefs where strengthend with this thread, that turrets need a damage increase, inaccuracy increase and firing speed decrease overall, but without buffing or nerfing turrets too much

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  17. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

YES. We really need this (but only if the turret falls off/breaks if the wall is destroyed. And they need to be weaker than your average turret to compensate.).

I think that there should be a 1.5 sec. turnaround for 180 degrees, and 3 second turnaround for 360 degrees (not that that would be useful). Also, the turret should be more accurate, but cover a slightly smaller area.

18. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I've never heard of real computer-controlled turrets, ever. from what I understand most humans find it morally objectionable to give computers the power to kill humans and it's questionable as to whether or not it's even realistic or practical to ever give computers adequate FoF recognition capabilities.

back on topic, increasing their damage but decreasing accuracy to compensate for the increase in damage would functionally buff them at close ranges, something most would agree is uncalled for and some would claim is outright absurd. More importantly, these changes would fundamentally alter the way turrets function in the overall balance of infantry combat and possibly produce unprecedented changes.

these changes don't add anything to the game and are simply unecessary. if the developers have a limited amount of things they can do, the trivial/unecessary should be addressed last (or never).

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  19. Demented

Demented Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5YftEAbmMQ
    It'd be a good idea to put a 200-pound metal plate on wheels and roll it with you when you cross the border between North and South Korea.
    The bots will shit bricks... Or maybe send you marriage proposals. (Heuristics vs. moving plate of steel. Hmmm.)

20. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I stand corrected. I guess I should have known better...