Why are you not allowed to make servers?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Bag Of Minge, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Bag Of Minge

Bag Of Minge Member

Why are you not allowed to make servers?

It would be fun to do some testing on your own, and MASS out res just so you can have a private server tank battle in the RCs.

Mainly for people who just don't Have fast internet/Bored/Want to see stuff.

Example:

The server is full of 25 people all complaining about a shitty commander on NF,
    The person just wants to test something but the people are too busy bitching about the commander.
    You make your own server, And invite a few friends, And start having a bit of fun.

I know the RCs are meant for beta testing, But we can test WITHOUT other people too. :D

Back to the point, Why has making servers been disabled?

2. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

So that everyone will join my server to test.

3. Bag Of Minge

Bag Of Minge Member

By servers, I mean passworded servers ONLY (Can't make a non passworded server) So people will still join yours if they wanted to Multiplay.

4. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

frankly, i dont see much of a problem, if any, with just the one server. It's almost always active nowadays, because of it. If there were multiple ones, people would just split up between those and there would be far fewer people for far less epic games.

5. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Yeah, and Krenzo needs the information what caused a crash when the server crashes.

6. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Yeah i'm happy with how it is...

infact i'm almost tempted to say that krenzo should limit non passworded games when it comes out to encorage the epics....

7. Silk

Silk Mapper

There are however a few reasons why it would be good to have more servers:

-some people wanted to test weapons and armor, but in a game you can't force your commander to research something or force someone to not attack you because you're testing something.
    - especially on friday evening you have to wait about 10 minutes before someone leaves before you can connect to the server (only to see that half of the players are spectating)
    - i could use a 1.08 server to test my maps in (should be obvious)
    - and i think (note that i don't know anything about programming) that maybe having multiple servers is bug testing as well. what if something is wrong with the server install?

I would be happy if i could make a server with a max player limit of 2 already. All of the above (small) problems are solved, and no person who wants to play a game will join a server with only 1 other player, so they would play on the official server. But i admit i don't know anything about programming, so ... justed wanted to say this. If you think it's not worth it then don't bother.

8. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Well the solution there is to have people who spec like that kicked:pathetic: . Maybe Krenzo could add something that if some one specs for a whole match when the server is full, they kicked if they go spec the next match and not an admin...

9. Silk

Silk Mapper

Aaah that makes me remember something. Friday evening someone was telling us that we should kick the spectators. Against all chances however Krenzo was the ONLY spectator at the time. I laughed so hard :D

10. eth0

eth0 Member

Ow wrong ;) People always go with the most populated server most than one has a decent number/player quality, then the closest geographically.

Hopefully those that operate Empires server will soon, futher RC issues aside, be able to get down to hosting 1.08.

11. Bag Of Minge

Bag Of Minge Member

Silk said the EXACT reasons i was talking about. Only 2 play servers? Nobody would want to join would they?

12. Petko

Petko Member

actually i would be happy to have some possibility to create some limited "single player" non-dedicated local server to test sound scripts, cause I wanted to do some soundpacks for vehicles but I cant edit it, or experiment with it on the beta server

13. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

This isn't a released version, now is it? 1.07 has plenty of servers last I knew.

Krenzo needs everyone on the RC server so he can debug it with crashes. Allowing any other servers is detrimental to 1.08's final release date, and release quality. I'm happy to pile on the main server, no lag issues, no population issues to date that I have seen.

14. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

It should work on 1.07. Very little has changed the way scripts are handled, save for some new modifiers.

Also, if anyone wishes to test out stuff that requires specifics, just hop on IRC and slap an admin to help you.

15. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

There are only five 1.07 servers up. I hope more pop up when 2.0 comes out so we look more impressive to newcomers. Even if they are fake ones that would lag out if they got their player slots full :D

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I mainly want to incorporate the new prone into a map.

That can probably wait until the release though, I can work on the rest of the map until then.

17. picard131

picard131 Member

I can change sounds fine. In fact, I already made a proper death sound pack to replace the homoerotic groans that came with Empires.

18. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Won't you share them?