Who got a gig of ram?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dubee, May 11, 2010.

1. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

CHEAP??? RAM was cheap in last autumn. my 4 gig 36 € last autumn, same now is about 124 €!

where do u get cheap RAM nowadays?

2. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

3. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

Four gig.

4. meg griffin

meg griffin Member

I have 3GB which is the about the max that windows xp 32 bits will use. I just moved to win7 64 bits so I am looking to go up to about 8GB...

5. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

2GB of RAM is $50...I used to see 2Gig sticks on eBay for $24.

6. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

7. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Can't you load your OS into RAM? A triple-channel P6T MOBO can take 24GB of 6x4GB...

8. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

So I got a gig and I load up empires and I can't hit shit with my mowtar. :o

ITS RUNNING TOO SMOOTH

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

You no longer have your bullet-time advantage :p

10. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Blanket statements like this don't work. It depends. What OS are you running, what is running in the background, do you kill all apps before starting a game, do you have a page file, does the game load massive textures...all these can add up to 4GB not being enough, especially if the game is large address aware, or is 64bit.

I for example backstabbed my pagefile, and now I can load a game (or two), VS2010/2008, 20 tabs in IE, steam and trillian, along with random other small apps and not hit my HDs at all. Works great! Should I ever fill my RAM, I'll be fucked though, as I'll bluescreen.

Yep, been on 64bit since Vista came out. There is a way to get XP to handle more than 4 GB of address space, but it's slow as fucking hell.

This game? Maybe...in general gaming? Not really. The OS uses at least 512MB of RAM, then the game can use up to 2 GB, depending on settings.

my 12 is from 6 or more months ago...but these days sales at Frys work for me...or sales on newegg. I upgrade my PC slowly, peice by piece....so I can stand to wait for a sale. Having just done my GPU and PSU, I can probably wait another year or so before I look into a new processor...might do watercooling in a few weeks, and that'll cost a bit there as well.

Bad RAM causes BSODs and/or app crashes. It doesn't cause duplicates of textures to load. All there is to it. ECC RAM would really have no problem...

and random failures in RAM can happen, as RAM chips are susceptable to interference from XRays, gamma rays...radiation...etc (the radiation will flip a bit, causing a cascading failure that can result in an app crashing out, to the whole OS being toasted.) The reason that the NASA Shuttle and sattelites and all are still on magnetic RAM is because it is not affected my cosmic radiation. Heck, the magnetic memory in the shuttle is so durable that even after the challenger crashed, the memory still held it's contents.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  11. meg griffin

meg griffin Member

I have been missing newegg so much since I moved to the UK :( :( :(
    Is there a UK alternative? i have not been able to find a decent one. I've been just getting stuff from amazon.co.uk
    (i miss woot.com too:()

12. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

scan.co.uk is great.

13. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

I've got 4GB of dual channel RAM, the only game that can max it out is X3TC with bazillion of mods. (but it still works stable)

I keep quite a lot of unnecessary shit in background too.