Where should I have my server hosted?

Discussion in 'General' started by recon, Mar 14, 2008.

1. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I know most of the servers are running Windows, but most of the game hosts I investigate are using Linux. Any recommendations on what game host to use? NFO, IMHO is a rip off. They charge about 3x the amount per slot of GameServers.com

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  2. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I see no input to this so I'll post my opinion.

do you want just a server?

Or do you want a box?

servers can run as low as $20 for small bandwidth I've heard for source mods. maybe less. If you really want control over your server though, just rent the whole box. It should run somewhere between $100-$150.

I guess it just depends on how much money you feel like dumping into it.

3. taiiat

taiiat Member

well you should have good control AND have good bandwith. dont sacrifice bandwith for $. if your server is slow as fu*k, then the people that join 'll have to wait forever. just get quotes on a bunch of companies, and then compare. you want a good connection in/out of your server, i suggest as high as you can really afford. now i do suggest getting a place that is pretty much the center of everyone that playes empires. that would be pretty much US&europe right? i would suggest east US or west europe.

@metal smith, its not really how much you are willing to pay, its really how much you NEED to pay. you dont want a crappy server, a sloe conection, and all bad stuff. then nobodies gonna play on ur server. then itd be a waste of $ wouldnt it? that wouldnt be smart then, since youd be wasting any $ put into the server. there is a certial threshold between a good server that runs smoothly and a server that suks.

OR, you could just buy your own server, set it up, and it can just run, al by itself, with proper ventilation. theyre not that expensive, but you might need to upgrade ur net connection, as a standard DSL or ISDL or dial up will not be good enough. actually, forget dial up. if its gonna be DSL, itd ebtter be some high end DSL. of cable, you want a middle speed, which is ~3-5m/s. or spend some actual $ and get a nice net connection, like mones, ~10-11m/s. 's really supposed to be 20/s, but its the telephone poles. but thats a realy fast connection. dont worry, its not required, its a little excessive actually. but I need it. you wouldnt. still, the connection speed&the actual server speed makes a huge difference. you want a server that has a good CPU/GPU. should be atleast 2.0ghz. more is better ofcourse, but atleast 2.0 . and the HDD(s) should be atleast the standard 7200RPM. 10,000RPM would be great but its not needed. and the HDD(s) should have some reasonable space to em too. atleast 1+ 160giggs. if it has all that and a good connection speed, then its great.

4. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Why would a server need a good GPU?

5. taiiat

taiiat Member

if the server's CPU/GPU suks, then the server cannot load very fast. i mean the central proccessor. not teh graphics card. by CPU/GPU i meant for the motherboard. you can put a GPU in to replace the CPU. theyre just better ofcourse. but if the server cannot load fast enough too keep up with the players, then itll laggg to hell. the processor loads everything, as its the core of the server. thats why it has to be fast and powerful.

6. Chahk

Chahk Member

CPU. GPU.

7. taiiat

taiiat Member

i know that what i say is true. you can replace your system CPU and pop in a GPU. i know you can do it, dont say you cant. if you think you cant, then you dont know how. dont worry, it is a very expensive system, and i dont think that even i would invest in having it. a CPU and GPU are esantially the same, they work the same, its mostly the software differences. but strip the software, and you have a high performance CPU. you wouldnt really do this, as i said its extreemely expensive, to make a CPU style GPU. so for this situation, it doesnt matter. for like hosting a cysis server, that is a possible situation that youd get a GPU system processor.

8. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

GPU's are designed for handling exactly what is needed to render graphics, while CPU's are designed to handle everything. Otherwise, the GPU would be called CPU, and you'd have the same CPU as in your motherboard on your videocard, to work together in games.

9. taiiat

taiiat Member

yes, thats why it is so expensive to have a GPU system processor. put simply, modifications. when you want this systam, a lot of modifications are made to the GPU that makes it the same power for graphics and can handle the system stuff too.

10. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

No. You don't get it. A GPU is set up to have rasterizers (which convert 3D data to 2D data to be displayed), pixel shaders, vertex shaders (or unified shaders) etc. A GPU in no way can replace a CPU on just any server board. Different pin outs...different power requirements...etc.

There's been talk of redesigning the CPU was we know it today to be more like a GPU since a GPU can inherently handle recursive tasks, whereas a CPU cannot...Google talked about doing something like this long ago. AFAIK, they've not done it yet.

On an aside:

That seems very overpriced...places like 1&1 offer more for way cheaper...Lunarpages and BlueHost offer even more (I HATE lunarpages myself...) and Dreamhost offers yet more...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  11. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Can someone please suggest a hosting company?

12. Lala

Lala Member

looks like vServer and not realy good server. u will use a vServer to set up a gameserver? forget it! u dont know what the other users on the server do. invest more and get a root-server (German-Providers: Hetzner-Root/Hetzner-Managed/Strato/1 & 1/DONT(!) use Server4you, "badest" provider ever-.- ) or choose a GameServer-Provider (NGZ/CS-Arena/4netplayers).....

my two cents! :D

13. taiiat

taiiat Member

right........ you are very wrong. 1&1 violate laws in their web hosting. this is exactly the violation:
    1&1 Internet Violates ICANN rules in respects to the control over the
    domain you register with them. The owner of J&N registered that domain
    with them and had TONS of trouble with it.

btw, the owner of J&N is my friend, so its his business, not mine.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  14. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I just saw the thread had no responses for a day or so so i pitched in my .02 in hopes someone else would recommend server hosts :P

15. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Taiiat, your very very confused with the future. Eventually, with the demand for high end graphics, GPU's will become your one and only processor. They will become so powerful that instead of buying a pricey comp with high end graphics and CPU, you can get a good GPU with a high clock rate that does it all. The Nvidia Quadro is an example of this. Its the single most powerful GPU on the consumer market I believe (not counting the absolutely massive ones that studios like Pixar use to render their CGI movies). With the correct modifications to its firmware and the computer its installed in, it could run your OS, some apps, and still do the graphics. Again, its all far in the future. At this time, the average GPU clock rate is 500mhz~ IIRC, which by no means can run any decent OS AND efficiently process graphics.

16. taiiat

taiiat Member

apparently you dont have many conections that i do. MS is designing a CPU thatll be a GPU also. within a month or 2 itll be out. si i lied about that its already here but its very close. its not awesome graphics, its still MS, but its pretty good. so, get your info straight before you talk. i have connections, you dont. dont complain, i know things many other people dont.

17. arklansman

arklansman Member

Since MS is such huge player in the CPU and GPU market. :rolleyes:

18. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

GPU's can not ever be a CPU as well, get your facts straight.

19. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

No no guys, my dad's friend's cousin's half-sister is Melinda Gates and all of what Taiiat says is true.

20. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Hmm, so basically, your saying your flat out lie is better than slightly off information that was from an honest perspective. Wow, your priorities match that of a 3 year old :p