Where do you use the mortar for?

Discussion in 'General' started by blizzerd, Feb 11, 2011.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Where do you use the mortar for?

i generally use it to kill buildings, but i rarely play gren these days besides for killing "that tank in main after which i switch back to engineer"

tont tell me where its usefull for, just tell me where you use it for

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I use it against everything, I don't think there's anything that I don't hit with the mortar

3. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Mowtar: Infantry, infantry, buildings, tanks up close.
    RPG: Infantry, turrets, tanks.

4. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Everything and everything. I prefer not to waste the shells on turrets, however, as I may have to fire 4 (the first being a test-trajectory).

5. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I don't as a rule, if I want to kill infantry I use rifles, or tanks. If I want to kill tanks I use the rocket launcher or mines, or stickies, or tanks. if I want to kill buildings I use seismic grenades, or tanks. Mostly I just use the mortar if I'm feeling retarded and it doesn't occur to me to switch classes or get a tank.

Basically I use tanks for everything because they're better at everything.

7. 0yv47

0yv47 Member

i put it next to the driverseat of the artytank...

8. Empty

Empty Member

Turrets primarily, infantry second, refineries third. RPG does more damage to tanks.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Vehicles, Infantry and occasionally smaller buildings. Large buildings not so much, but sometimes.

To be honest, with the buff to RPG, using mortar against vehicles is less needed these days, but I still do fairly often.

10. meg griffin

meg griffin Member

Vehicles with enhanced armor and armor detection. then i get defusal and drive around like crazy killing stuff. When the tank is about to die, get off and shoot mortar and rpg.

Also, in a squad with a scout, sab buildings and then hit them with the mortar. It is very effective and if combined with an eng with seismics you can destroy a whole main base in less than 15 seconds.

11. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Not technically true. Mortar fires faster, and does same damage vs 1st tier vehicles. And the overall DPS you can inflict with mortar is still better vs Meds/Artys, although it's better not to waste them for a marginal increase.

12. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

Infantry in the open, infantry behind walls, buildings, groups of turrets that are out of range of seismics, vehicles if it's early/I have to, and the doorways of buildings.

Pretty much anything, but especially groups of turrets, the mortar's splash can trash lines/farms of turrets if you just move your aim down the line, overlapping the splash. Armouries die pretty quick to mortar fire if there's anyone else helping.

13. OuNin

OuNin Member

rocket jumping

14. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Better question: What do I not use the mortar for: Everything out of reach which cannot wait until I moved up closer.
    Naah, honestly: If I fight infantry as gren, it depense, if they camp in the open I use the RPG, if they are behind cover I use the mortar, if they walk around in the open I use mortar then switch to lasersnipepistol 1

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

in the first 10 minutes of the game before the armor research stage, I use mortar then switch to rpg when fighting tanks, but I always use my rpg as first priority on tanks (except for first shot) since it doesn't have splash for infantry, and its better on tanks in terms of guiding and damage.

16. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

mortar fires faster but i think rpg does higher damage past meds so i use mortar on all early tanks

17. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

mortars.. for buildings

RPGs, its very effective. its especially effective if the team has guided missile. the best thing you can do is ride in the passenger seat of a medium or heavy with guided missile. calibrate your crosshair so ur crosshair matches with the crosshair of the driver. when the tank driver fires a guided, you fire a guided and the tank driver will aim for you. this is the best tactic for me so far. you basically fire and hit the same side of a tank twice with 2 missiles. besides that, riding in passenger seat of a vehicle sucks balls. oh, you have to depend on ur driver being a good tracker.

18. Empty

Empty Member

It's not worth the increase in dps for the decrease in mobility (that moment of crouching) and the fact you're using up your most versatile ammo.
    Sure if it's do or die, like I hit him with an RPG and see he has red HP on that side I'll switch to mortar for the money shot, but in general it's not worth using mortar ammo.

19. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

you aren't immobile for very long...

20. Empty

Empty Member

It's still a disadvantage and against a tank you can't afford many disadvantages.