Whats up with Glycencity?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Castrol GTX, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

I already know how to play, it doesn't change the fact that glycencity is one of the worst maps ever

so fucking boring

if I wanted boring, I'd play counterstrike

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Thats anrk's line

3. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

who do you think he agreed with?

(it was me)

4. arklansman

arklansman Member

I disagree.

5. Empty

Empty Member

Ark is like a troll who can lock.

6. Blight

Blight Member

I did some optimising on glycencity yesterday. Took me a few hours too because it was a clusterfuck. Lots of brushes that were not func_details were overlapping, there was complex geomitry not blocking the view that wasn't func_detailed. It looked like it was made by someone who has no understanding whatsoever of how BSP files work.

7. Empty

Empty Member

Glycencity isn't that bad, so long as level threes never become involved, and you know how to click 'Defusal'.

Anyway, the main issues are game balance itself, IE, LTs are vastly superior to AFVs.

Once we fix that issue, glyencity will be a lot better. Not perfect. Not brilliant, but better.

8. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Not true Empty. The map is unbalanced for BE.
    NF has a much better defensive setup compared to BE.
    BE needs something to help them attack.

9. kill3rtomato

kill3rtomato Member

Quoted for truths. ;D

Not the main issue, but definitely something that affects the map..

But personally I love playing as BE on this map, and defending the second to last flag (or middle), as long as no level 3 MGs spring up ... (:

10. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Give them terrain adv?
    Like nf would need to rush up hill to get the 2nd flag

11. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

Thread Wrap-up

This is the comprehensive wrap-up of the thread. If you have more to add, go ahead, but please don't post if you aren't adding.

I think we've pretty much ruled out map specific things that give NF the advantage. It can't be argued at this point that there is no bias for NF on glycencity. I've culled through the thread to find all the valid points people have made. I've even given credit (or tried to) for peoples' ideas. How nice of me.

--The road from the NF VF is straight, with sloping curves, all the way to middle, letting them use the creation-speed-boost that BE can't. The road also has no obstacles. (Me, Zeke, and o_0)

--When entering the middle, the NF face a large snow wall that hides them. For BE, there is a gap in the snow wall, which also leads straight to the flag. (Which isn't an advantage after all, since it makes it easy for NF to defend). (Me, Aquillion)

--The walls along the BE road are low enough to shoot RPG's over. (Me, Satanschild666)

--The same disadvantages BE suffers in the early APC rush also make it hard for BE to recover. NF can move APC's and LT's into the middle faster than BE can. (Emp_recruit, keef, Satanchild666)

--Although this isn't truly map specific, it should be considered by mappers. LT's are better than AFV's in size, evading stickies, speed, etc. (pretty much everyone, especially Empty)

--When NF is attacking the BE 2nd flag, they have the advantage of the chainlink fence that can be seen through, but not shot through. (Me, but its a minor thing)

--The building that BE's 2nd flag is in is easy for NF to hide in, once they have managed to get inside. (Aquillion, Emp_recruit)

--The road to the NF base is more easily defended. Specifically, after leaving the middle the BE has one, straight road to travel on. The second pathway through the building is far from the road and never the twain shall meet. There is also no place for BE to park an apc in, like NF can in the area behind the chainlink fence. (Me, Aquillion)

--BE has to cross vast open fields to reach the middle on foot.

A lot of suggestions were made, but I won't bring them together here. If anything were done to fix the map, the mapper should look to the previous problems and find his own solutions.

I also found another interesting(?) thing when looking through the thread. None of empty's posts were particularly helpful. :p

Also, like Blizzerd said, we should respect that time and effort was put into the map.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  12. Empty

Empty Member

-_-
    that is all.

13. Straevaras

Straevaras Member

It is far easier to flank or sneak in around NF than it is BE as far as the final two flags are concerned.

I have won several games this way as BE by squad reviving and just making a run for the flags.

14. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

Bumping, cause I heard some non-believing heretics on the other day saying Glycencity isn't map-stacked.

But, 2.2 does seem to have made it easier for BE to win on this map, I've seen BE win once and come close twice, which is sadly a step up.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  15. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

Eh... why not just remove the AFVs/LTs? I LIKE APCs with weapons.

I've won many times with NF and BE.

16. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

Other random thoughts:

1. How about if there was a more direct path for BE vehicles to the middle flag, with the catch that it was a one-way only path (do to a height drop or something)?

2. How about doing something about the chain link fence? How about making it a buildable (pretty strange to build a crooked chain link fence)?

3. How about buildable ladders so BE can get on the rooftops do south of their VF, and then climb down/snipe into the middle flag?

Also Castrol's summary makes me think BE engineers should build trenches and stairs (walls) when attacking the middle through the chain link path to avoid chokeholds and provide cover across the wide open areas.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  17. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

plain and simple. NF have more apc cover to work with when attacking and defending than BE has.

18. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

In terms of the map itself, I like Glycencity.

However, I do have one ultimate issue with it:

6,000 tickets

When rounds go to tickets on Glycen (which is actually quite often), the rounds last way too long. Perhaps increase the ticket bleed, or decrease the amount of tickets. I just think 6,000 is far too many.

19. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

The only thing I have against it is the shortcuts to BE second flag and the circuitous route the BE APC's have to take.
    Plus, NF shotty-pistol owns.

20. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

"circuitous"

<3