What's left to do?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Trickster, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Hey guys. It just occurred to me how quickly Christmas is coming up on us, the time when I really wanted to send the depots. I'm starting to get a little worried because there's still a sizeable amount of work to do. But I don't actually know what all of it is. I'm going to write shit down that I know of, and I really, really need contributions to complete that. It's a very real possibility that we're going to miss this Christmas window unless we get our shit together really soon.

I could also really do with someone stepping up and volunteering to host tests. I'm not able to due to my timezone, but it's critical we have something in place, much like the 3 weeks I was back during August and July, where we had nightly tests. So anyone wanting to take the baton here, I'd really appreciate it.

Anyway, the to-do list, as far as I know (additions are really appreciated):

Scripts: Continue pushing RCs. RC6 should be imminent.
    Consider additions of new weapons, SVN only. Must be done asap if I want particles and balance.

Code: Commander crashing. Absolutely critical that we track down the cause of this.

Maps: Forest. Omneh looks like he's going to bail on this, so I'm pretty upset. I don't think we have the manpower to finish it off.
    Chain, Bush and Midbridge to be added to officialdom.
    Homeland to be considered.
    Slaughtered_alt, Money_revisited (to be compared with redux upon completion) and Urbanchaos all being handled by Varbles, my hero.
    Crossroads being handled by Terminator.

Models: Review new APC, decide whether to keep it over the old one.

Materials: Up to Ducky really, I think he still had a few changes to make, but it's just about done.

Testing: Put out a new steam.cfg, given the old one will no longer work because our IP changed (new server), and actually test the content delivery.

So yeah, anything anyone else has would be vastly appreciated. We need to start cutting this list down as soon as we possibly can if we're to send these depots off within 6 weeks.

2. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

I have a small lists of things I could think of, they should be quite easy to code, hell even I could probably do it if you need me to :)

Barracks spawn arrow in the direction the infantry are going to spawn.
    Focus on the vehicle factory that you have selected when using the vehicle menu from the commander.
    Right now I have to build jeeps just to bloody locate which vehicle factory spawns at the correct location.

I have a bunch more, but they're not that important.

3. Silk

Silk Mapper

What are the changes he has to make?

If he really lost interest, and it's about quick and simple changes, i MAY be able to fix to most important things.

4. Trickster

In terms of features, we won't be adding any more. Game is a nightmare to get stable and anything else can be considered for releases after this, should there be any. If you're offering up your services then you'll probably end up being the only coder after this patch, so keep that in mind. We're really just wanting to get this patch out, and that means fixing any problems still with it, not risking the chance of adding more.

5. Trickster

If you did that, I would honestly name my First-born after you. I don't think the changes are that "quick and simple". He restarted the map, as in, started rebuilding from the ground up. He claims he made some decent progress but just has no motivation to carry on.

6. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

We need the Valve response to these minidumps to fix the remaining crashes.

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

iirc if you select a vf it automatically selects it in the build menu too?! not sure if you have to select it beforehand though - its too long since the last time i commanded.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  8. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

you are right. if you open the vf menu in comm then press a vf it will go to that vf

9. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

I can do the tests as long as I know what needs to be tested.

10. Trickster

How the fuck am I still learning stuff after 5 years? Seriously, how does this even happen. I had no idea about that. If that is the case then maybe that function can just be added a step earlier, so you don't need the menu open, because it wouldn't need new stuff.

I need to speak to Jephir about a few things but it's difficult for me to get in contact with him given the timezone.

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

bc its awesome

12. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  13. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

No it won't. At least not for me.

14. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

I strongly suggest posting a news here an there on ModDB.com as you get closer to releasing the new version. Even if it's just saying "we fixed this bug and added that thing". PR has been shit for a while now. Also, more PR would probably bring some more players for the current version.

15. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

Materials/GUI: Other than the issues I've posted in the gui thread, I don't see much that needs to be touched.
    Other than that, just waiting for when the apc has been decided (veh. icon) and the new weapons Trickster may come up with...

16. Trickster

Yeah, I'm hoping to get on those this weekend. As it happens, probably just decided on BioGL, Electrical MG (MOTHERFUCKING LIGHTNING) and some sort of Electrical Grenade.

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

How would said Electrical weapons work? As in, would they damage just buildings, also infantry, or everything?

18. Trickster

Fuck if I know.

19. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

So adding them will be fun, I presume. Nice title by the way.

20. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Trickster, if you really want to put Biological grenade launchers in the game, then let it be known that from that day onward, I will not touch empires ever again. Not even with a stick.