Whatever happend to...

Discussion in 'General' started by ^Dee^, Nov 19, 2006.

1. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

That grassy crossroads?

I remember seeing a screenshot showing off crossroads covered in grass that apparantly didn't make too much of a hit on fps. Whatever happend to that and the concept in general?

2. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

You don't happen to have a picture of it, do you?

3. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Unfortunately no. I never bothered to save and I can't remember if it was posted on these forums, the old forums or the forums before the old forums :P

It was pretty though. It really added some life to the map. Not as flat and default as the current grass textures used :)

4. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Hey I like this idea. Throw in more caters and then infantry can sneek in and out of those craters and be actualy efective against taks(instead of only from the roofs in the middle). If the grass is only on client side it definelty wouldnt hit FPS that much. Only thing I would nit pic about would turrents be able to see throught the grass? if so it might be a bit anoying to be killed by turrents you could never see so only have grass say waist high? NOT like that one anoying map in Sourse Forts.

5. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

TURRETS, FOR GOD'S SAKE! NO "N"! But the grass would likely be detail props, and turrets would be able to shoot through them. Unless if there was some new entity to restrict max turret range.

6. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Thats why I said only about waist high. High enough that YOU can see the turrents but also to hide you. Now if you hide in a crater your head is almost always able to be seen. But would be nice if there was a way to have turrents not shoot throught the grass at you. Hmmm be a nice way to have an area where turrents would be useless..

7. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Grass is never server sided, it's either a sprite or a model.

8. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

Like I said, Krenzo could make a new entity that limits turret range, or he could make something along the lines of a neutral zone, an invisible brush that when you walk into it, turrets ignore you.

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

grass would be excellent, but the problem is that as you look over a feild, the amount of grass you can see growns geometrically with the distance you can see. or something like that

i.e, you can see 1, 2, 3, 4 meters.
    you see 2, 3, 5, 8 bits of grass. something like that.

which means that if you look across an entire feild you can see about 10,000 bits of grass.

10. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

No, the general consensus is that "turrent" is much superior.

The way it's usually done is that the grass only renders a certain distance out. There's a problem with that method, though, in that you can see people on the ground from far away, but not up close. There would need to be some compensation for that.

11. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

Yep, or otherwise you might think you are hiding in a bush, but to the enemy who is sitting 200 feet away with a scout rifle, you are crouching in an open field.

12. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

As the grass fades out, it becomes less and less detailed? as in the alpha map gets simpler and simpler until it is just a plane...

That could work... I need to go outside and look at real grass to come up with a creative method of solving this...

13. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Stu listens to KMFDM?

:-OOOOOOO

14. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

People still do that?:eek: I thought the real world died. How else did a ape become president of the US.:D Realy i think the idea of a plain with a simple txt is the best we could get. Oviously the largest area we could do this with is not to large. Like say the center of crossroads?

15. HungryGuy

HungryGuy Member

I'll to leopard crawl though grass, and become th ultimate ninjaneer.

how did they do the grass in farcry?

16. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

How they did it in Far Cry is probably engine-dependent. The question is, what options are available for how you can do it in Source.

I wouldn't know, though.

17. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Grass was painted on the ground, same as most other games. Grass faded just like everything else. Unless I am misunderstanding the question...

Grass is very intensive to render - games like Oblivion and Far Cry do a very detailed close up grass render, and over distance, the detail lessens, until the grass itself fades. The grass is a brush, much like it is in BF2.

18. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

The best way to do it would be to place models as detail props, with several LOD's at different distances. So up close = realistic; slightly further = 2 intersecting planes, X shaped; furthest = single sprite.

But this will ramp up the hardware requirements significantly, and as such isn't really viable with the source engine in its current state. It is said that the episode 2 engine brings many enhancements for foliage, so we'll have to wait and see what Valve have got in store for us.

19. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

It's like this: each group of grass is a model, the fog and Z clip limit the amount of models, the LOD's in the moels simplify as you move away from it.
    I'd say 3000 polygons on a normal grassy plane.

20. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Leopard crawling through grass without being seen is a bitch. Thats why you Kitten crawl. Which is just generally a bitch.