what weapon is this ?

Discussion in 'General' started by jambo, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Maybe improved versions of the heavy MG's so ressearching them for aircraft could make yours alot more lethal?

2. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Before they had homing weapons, they had to have a way to make sure they could knock out an enemy nuclear bomber.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIR-2_Genie

3. Rick

Rick Former Linux Developer

Dumb rockets by default, but optional tracking capability by a person sacrificing himself to ride the rocket. :D

4. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

The way it'll probably work out is when there aren't any aircraft in the game yet, the comm won't bother researching the homing missiles, and only the standard rockets will be there. Once the aircraft start flying, the comms on BOTH sides will nab homing as quick as possible, otherwise the pilots will bitch like hell.

5. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I figure aircrafts would have to be kind of slow considering the not-too-large map sizes. Skybox would also have to be raised way, way higher to make way for dogfights.

6. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Another thing is that map edges would need expanded (for the aircraft) so you don't run into the map edge while still in range of the enemy base/turrets on some of the smaller maps (maybe the small ones should just have aircraft restricted so it's not a problem, and have the current large map and future large maps be the ones w/ aircraft enabled...)

7. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

will AT rockets from ML launcher be able to knock out aircraft?

8. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

But then wouldn't an effective anti aircraft measure be to build RIGHT along the edge of the map? so they cant effectivly bomb the area, and if they try they will run into the wall?

Or will aircraft be able to fly out of the map limits a little bit into the skybox? sort of like BF?

9. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I thought they were going to incorporate another type of turret and tank for aircraft.

10. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

IMO aircraft will eventually result in one outcome, kamekazis (SP) on CVs

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

no way trident, aircraft are way to expensive.

what I want to see is:
    -aircraft going down/spinning out of contol IN FLAMES
    -more damage with faster moving bullets = if aircraft is diving in with dual medium chainguns he can effectively kill people with one strafe.
    -the aircraft should be like and fuction like the A10 in my opinion
    http://pnmedia.gamespy.com/planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/images/news/a10-3.jpg

which means they go in for a diving attack run, then pull up and fly over the target and turn for another run.

12. Slithzerikai

I want aircraft to damage buildings or units they fall upon when crashing, make it so that when airplanes break they don't explode, but rather stop working, fall down, but remain steering ability so the pilot has a last-resort kamikaze possibility.

13. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

please no kamikazis, planes arn't guided bombs, they shouldn't have enough power to do anything in a collision.

14. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Map scaling is going to be implemented, and there will be pleeenty of room to buzz around in.

I partially agree with Slith; while it would be awesome for the aircraft to simply fall out of the sky, I don't think you should be able to kamikazi with them. It would encourage the tactic of blowing money on an aircraft and simply letting yourself die in it to get the kamikazi kill rather than actually trying to save the aircraft.

15. Slithzerikai

I'm not saying it should do alot of damage, but having a plane falling down would be difficult to steer anyhow, just make it damage something when it falls.

16. NobleDragon

NobleDragon Member

The shrapnel from the crash and explosion got to be worth something right? And i do hope they give the grens lock-on missiles for anti-air purposes. it would be a bitch to hit a plane with the current setup.

heh, i just got a mental image of a gren mortaring a plane out of the sky. lol

17. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

One driver and one gunner?

Also, Smart Bombs? Could the move towards marked scout targets that have been selected or some such?

-Sheepe

18. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

"Ghost reporting" kind of thing?

Starcraft people.

19. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Ghost reporting just sounds cool. i would buy ANY book, game or albumn with that in the name.

how about aircraft effectively have VERY low health. so 1 - 2 hits from a rocket could take it down, and any collision with a wall will destroy it.

then it wouldn't matter that the rockets were unguided, because if the aircraft is going to be heading for you anyway in order to hit you with it's dive run, then the rocket would be able to hit it.

it would be nice to have faster missiles too, that would be cool.

20. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

I like the idea of A-10 Thunderbolts (Thunderbirds? Whatever...) style planes. That's basically what I imagine in a game like this with planes.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006