What was the first computer/console game you played ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jambo, Jan 9, 2007.

1. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I don't remember my first game, as my parents would purchase all of these Learning Company games for my brother and me when we were really young (six years old, maybe?). I remember having to deal with the 5ΒΌ inch floppy disks, if that's any gauge to how old the games were. My first real game was probably Dark Forces, which I still remember finding and begging my parents to buy for me in Costco. So yeah, I was destined to be a gamer from pretty early on. Some of the other early games I remember were stuff like Quest for Glory, Baldur's Gate, Warcraft, Tie Fighter... Classics. No idea what my first console game was, though.

2. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

First computer I ever used was some IBM machine with a 286 processor in 1990. The first game was Space Invaders and at that point I fell in love... I got my first machine in 1992 it was a IBM PC with a 386 SX processor at 20MHz.

First console was probably SNES and the game was some version of Donkey Kong. :)

First online game was Counter-Strike 3.2Beta in 1999. God that game's old...

3. Chahk

Chahk Member

I'm pretty sure my first real computer game was Lode Runner on some C64 knock-off. I do remember playing some other text-based games at my uncle's work way before than though.

Consoles - never touch the damn things. Online - Doom over 9600 baud dialup with my cousin.

4. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

It was that game where you play a samurai or something, you had to jump over pits, grab a sword, kill enemies. It was a standard MS-DOS game. I laughed everytime i saw the character put the sword away, it looked like he stabbed himself :P.

5. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

prince of persia. god i love the intro music

6. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

tiberian sun:- i used to make a wall out off the laser turrets, it looked well cool. i can't believe i had the patience...

Sega Megadrive.. some bomber castle game that my mate had. you built a castle and cannons and stuff, it was good :)

7. Jn.

Jn. Member

Amen, brotha! I got so good at that game. It was so intense, and I remember that when I was but a wee lad my dad was watching me play, and when I got in to a firefight I said "god dammit!" and I had to stand in the corner for ten minutes :(

8. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

OMG descent completely forgot about that one O.O FRICKIN A! that was fun. Anybody play that old school magic carpet game? Wing Commander FTW

9. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Into Cerberon is for you Doom III owning Descent fans! Also in Linux and Mac flavor!

10. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

First console game: Adventure?
    First PC game: Commander Keen? I think?
    First online game: Red Baron II.

11. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Treasure Mountain
    [​IMG]

12. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Ohhh, man, I remember that one. ^^

13. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Well thanks to Bodrick I remembered what one of the first games I ever played was
    Skunny in the Wild West XD
    http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/game/126

my first console game was from one of those all in one cartridges that had like 100 nintendo games, and I remember Treasure Island the best, but really could be any other.

First multiplayer games was GTA1 with direct connect, was just chatting on some website and somehow found someone to play GTA with. Great fun :D

14. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

I can't remember what my first computer game was. It was either Battle Chess, Paratrooper, a shareware version of The Incredible Machine, or a shareware version of Doom (Modded to be Simpsons Doom, or I wouldn't play it otherwise at the time)

First console game was probably Super Mario Bros. for NES

First online game... Age of Empires?

EDIT: found name of Paratrooper here.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  15. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Remember playing multiplayer games over the phone line? Where you would dial right into your friends computer? Like red alert

16. Jkun

Jkun Ban Hammer Manor Ruler

It was something on the Atari, but I was honestly too young remember it clearly. My first vivid memories of gaming are of the Super Mario / Duck Hunt combo cartridge for the NES, and the Donkey Kong arcade game at a diner across town. Good stuff. :]

17. arklansman

arklansman Member

I remember those combo cartridges. :D
    There was one with SMB, DH, and track and field too. :D

18. Damian

Damian Member

Computer: Prince of Persia on an IBM clone.
    Console: Dig Dig and Joust on Atari
    Online: Quake 1

19. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

Treasure Mountain was the shit

I don't remember my first game, even though i played a lot of games when i was younger. I basically learned how to read playing the early Kings Quest games. Speaking of which, sierra just put out a box set of all seven KQ games with dosbox in there configured to run them. I got it as soon as i saw it in the store :-)

Ah pixellated adventures

20. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Huzzah for Dosbox! Huzzah for Pixellated Adventures!

The guys behind Dosbox have to feel so awesome that their product is good enough for commercial deployment.