What does the future actually hold?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Sgt. Iceman, Apr 12, 2010.

?

Is Sgt. Iceman asking a dumb question?

1. Yes....

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Hell No!

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. Kinda, but I can see where he's coming from.

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. This dude's an idiot...

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. If I ever meet him in real life I'll shoot him.

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  6. I wanna shake his hand.

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Sgt. Iceman

Sgt. Iceman Member

You see a lot of "possibles" and "Under Considerations" but what is actually going to happen to Empires?

Honestly we went from taking leaps and strides to shuffling four inches every two months. There are so many great ideas going around and people are shooting them down one by one.

After reading around fourty threads I realized that one of our big problems is the actual thing that keeps this game going: the engine. Now I havent been able to find what engine we are actually using but if anyone would like to tell me that would be great.

Empires is great but it is falling into a rut that is digging itself deeper and deeper. If you are like me you could probably care less about changing the models for the apc/light tanks. Textures for the vehicles are fine. What we need is to work on things that are hanging around without any indication of actually being finished. For example the armor slot on the loadout for infantry. What the hell is it for?

The mod is starting to die. As a community we should pull together to keep the mod alive. Throw ideas in this thread! Do it!

It doesnt matter if the idea has a solid base, because if you have an idea, many people might have the same one. They can add points you didnt think of, and maybe even better ways to manage something.

The gameplay is becoming stagnant... let's improve it.

Idea Numero Uno
    - I want to see differing units based on terrain. A.K.A Air/Water

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i dont think the question is dumb, there is a certain problem with media and community attention in this development team...
    then again i do think a lot of this will resolve itself at least partially since people like cpatton and trickster are actively working on things in this direction

also, i do think that a lot of the problems you talk about are no way near as problematic as some of the problems the development team should really face

my top 3 of issues are in order

GUI, we especially need more "I see it i get it"

Infantry combat, we need more "wow that was awesome" moments in infantry

tank deepness, atm although tank combat is reasonably fun, although its a lot of the same and gets stale over time, we need more diverse tactics and we need to discourage certain tactics (like ramming while shelling), possibly we could keep certain tactics in the game by tying them to a special weapon or engine, being that its only possible and effective if you have that engine (but i dont think ramming and shelling should be one of those "lets keep this limited in the game" things, its just plain annoying)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  3. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

???
    Do you realize that you can switch your armor there as soon as the commander researches a better one.

4. Sgt. Iceman

Sgt. Iceman Member

I'm talking about infantry armor -.-

5. Brutos

Also, We don't need more ideas, we need more time to implement them.

6. Sgt. Iceman

Sgt. Iceman Member

Time... That is something we have an abundance of. But what are wedoing with it? I want to see a list of what is being done. Small graphical updates are something to be done after gigantic projects have been released. But what has actually been done? Same weapons, vehicles, buildings, etc.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

well, atm me and a group of people are planning together on how to tackle both the infantry and tank weapons and research overhaul

things like this take time and planning, and a whole lot of politics so its normal it starts off slow

8. Sgt. Iceman

Sgt. Iceman Member

That is progress. :D What kind of things do you guys have going?

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

atm, a meeting on the 17th, we will debate how we will divide the workload and what will be the final goal

10. Sgt. Iceman

Sgt. Iceman Member

11. Sgt. Iceman

Sgt. Iceman Member

Do we have any other progressive things happening? Or has Empires come to an utter standstill?

12. Brutos

We are working on it.

13. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

may you explain to me how you came to the conclusion that the engine is problematic while you actually dont know what engine is used?

(btw its the source engines orange box version - "sourcemod" should hint you at least in the right direciton ...)

14. Sgt. Iceman

Sgt. Iceman Member

I came to the conclusion after reading about ten threads where people said the engine was making additions to the game quite difficult.
    Sourcemod did, but I was unsure if it was the ep1 or ob engine.

15. flasche

for the issues the engine brings i think there isnt much difference between the 3 versions ... correct me if im wrong :D

16. Sgt. Iceman

Sgt. Iceman Member

OB can handle considerably more stress than the other two. But what you said is quite true. There isnt a major difference. I am just wondering how GMOD can somehow manage this with the same engine.

17. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Sgt. Iceman:
    What is your idea of the Empires development team?

They are only 5-10 guys who are working for the mod when they have time and when they want to.

If you want to add or change something, then just do it. If it's good the developers will maybe add it.

18. Sgt. Iceman

Sgt. Iceman Member

Since I know I can, then I will start and see if it goes anywhere.

19. flasche

gmod has source access ...

20. Sgt. Iceman

Sgt. Iceman Member

And I'm going to say that Empires doesnt?