What are some good research combinations?

Discussion in 'General' started by Ford, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Ford

Ford Member

When I command I always seem to research the wrong techs in the wrong order according to my team. What are some good foolproof tech combinations for the beginning, middle, and end phases of the game? Please list them in the order I should research them. :) Thanks.

2. arklansman

arklansman Member

1. Nukes
    2. Railguns
    3. Reactive armor
    4. Gas Turbine

*disclaimer: one or all of these suggestions may be bogus, and may result in team anger, swearing, and/or getting kicked from the cv

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I always go mech eng > adv mach > gas turbine + composite, then medium tanks, then I either go chemistry and get the HE cannon, or I go physics and get projectile physics > ranged cannon and heavy MGs.

If you're pressed for resources however, biology and bio-diesel and regen armor is cheaper and faster to research and equip.

4. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

NF: Chem->absorbant armor + cooleant
    Chem->Upgraded missiles
    Mech->advanced Chassis-> Heavy

Only works if you have Map Control (=> 3/4 of Map).

€: After that you can get comp armor too.

Be: Chem->absorbant + cool
    Medium Tank
    Chem-> Upgraded missiles and He Shells

If you have map control go for comp armor and double rail heavies.

Composite is a real bad idea if you don't have at least the same amount of resource nodes as the enemy. Reflective is a worse idea in the most cases too.

2nd Edit: You can exchange Absorbant with composite if you feel that you have enough time to wait for it and you know that your team knows how to not waste tanks.

3rd Edit: The Tanks drivers should stay together in a group of 2 or 3. A lone wolf in a tank is not that good.
    Dont go for Turrets, get better armor and engine.

I think I'm done now ^^.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Bio-> Regen-> Bio Diesel-> Mech-> Med Tanks->Chem->HE shells->Coolant

then after that you can just win with what you got or research more crap

6. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

NF: physics -> heavy caliber -> reflective -> fission -> med tanks -> he and standard crap from now. AP MG APCs with light tanks can destroy everything. It gets a bit problematic in BE as they have shitty basic tanks (AFVs)

Rush LTs: compo + GT OR reactive + 3phase. If you go for composite then you can use chainguns in your light tanks. If you have enough money and people buy as many tanks as possible then you win 1-2 minutes after getting this research.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  7. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

I do the exact same thing and it has yet to fail me :)

8. [C9] Cobramaster

[C9] Cobramaster Member

I use this method and when my team listens and is not full of Special ED and his buddies i win my next research is either 3 phase or advanced cooling and then heavies and missile tech or railguns

9. o_O

o_O Member

100% Agree, although after Med Tanks you may want to go straight to heavies and then work on guns and coolant. In fact this or the heavy variant seems to be the standard strategy, and for good reason. It is countered with bio weapons, but so far I have only seen bio in 2 games, (game 1 we just sidetracked to composite or something and won, game 2 they had beat us with stock weapons and only needed bio to finish us). And anyway if they go bio you can probly grab a different armor on the way, leaving then with useless weapons.

Regen in particular is good in the early game because it helps you conserve tanks, frees up engineers, and is particularly good against infantry and standard tank weapons. Also it just has massive health that is made even better because you just turn around each time you get shot. Bio Diesel is the Swiss Army knife of engines, its got decent stats, its on the bio tree anyway, noobs can retreat once they overheat it, and it half counters plasma/nukes. Early Med tanks can pack enough firepower to start pushing the enemy back rather easily, and with HE they can take on paper heavies or light tank spam or just tough infantry defenses.

10. Scikar

Scikar Member

Just experiment with the tech tree, there's no concrete foolproof research strategy for every map. It is important though, to make sure you have an improved engine and improved armour either before or immediately after you research medium tanks. General opinion is that a light tank with composite armour and a gas turbine engine is better than a medium tank with a standard engine and plain armour - in that matchup the light actually has more armour, and the medium can only take advantage of the extra missile slot since it can't dissipate the heat to deal with a pair of standard cannons.

Pretty much the only way you can go wrong is to research something that just isn't usable. Like researching HE or UMLs before medium chassis, since you've got nothing to mount them on. Or getting heavies before you have any improved armour or engines - a lot of people seem to do this, and not only are your light tanks outgunned while you research them, a heavy with plain armour and a standard engine is a slow, big target with weak armour and no more sustainable firepower than the first light that rolled out of your vehicle bay. If you want to get creative though, remember that you can mount any of the MGs on the APC chassis. Bio MG APCs can work well against early regen armour lights, and DU MGs can be workable too. You might want to restrict the factory and just build them yourself though if you want to be sure your team makes use of your research.

And since everyone is touting the good old bio diesel engine, remember that it's the worst engine for heat bar the standard. It works fine on lights and it's not a problem if you're NF and intend to go missile heavy, but bear in mind that a BE heavy with dual cannons and a bio diesel engine is going to have heat problems, and isn't really fast enough to take advantage of the stall resistance either.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  11. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Medium tanks suck in NF. (one big HIT ME sign)

Fission is much better than people think/thought.

You can go straight for heavy tanks in NF as they can use 5xML. No armor or engine needed to destroy whole bases in few seconds.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I'm surprised more people don't recommend getting turrets. Turret farming kicks serious arse until the enemy gets HE shells on med tanks, but up to that point it's lethal.

13. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Turret limit is 10 in League. Think all are keeping that in mind now.

14. Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick Member

Composite armor, Rail guns, nukes, heavy tanks, and Adv Coolant based Engines.

That's usually the top priority when I'm commander. That and taking as many refineries as I can get.

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

nick, with unlimited money that is probably the best combination, but you need to find a research path suitable for standard settings. Composite armour will bankrupt a team fairly quick, and heavy tanks without meds will certainly add to that.

16. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Member

I know before v2 I liked to rush biology. Bio armor rocks, the engine is very good (never stops running) and the missles tore up armor. Just pop shot them with one, and that entire side of armor would be gone in about 5 seconds. Complimented with a cannon or even standard they destroyed. Especially since a lot of people take shots from far away and keep by cover. Personally I just like build the strongest missle/cannon layout and rush up (Like ramming them) on people alternating. I almost always can take a guy out, many times a stronger vehicle, then back off to heal.

But yea, it worked back then, does anyone know if it is still good?

17. Hikuso

Hikuso Member

Meh, me forcie and darkseed needs to play more togehter and try out turretsiege in 2.0 :P

Harder that 1.07 but it still works

18. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

I've been using Electrical Engineering lately for NF. REALLY fun stuff. It works best in Cyclopean and mvalley where you have lots of refs.

3 phase ---> reactive --> turrets

yum.

19. Cheezy

Cheezy Member

I just thought of somenthing.

Instead of going for the usual Bio tree then Meds and then HE, why not go for Regen > Bio Diesel > Meds > Bio ML's > HE/somenthing else

Since the enemy most likely goes for the standard Bio tech, it will take some time until they get a new armor. And Biological weapons are highly effective against regen. The bad side is that the commander might go for Composite and Gas Turbine instead of Bio. It takes a while to research composite though, and Bio ML's aren't all that bad agianst Composite, though your standard cannons won't do shit. After a while you should get HE too so there won't be much of a problem, likely.

I've got to try this.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Research bio MG before MLs, you need meds to use bio MLs.