Wasteland 2 Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RappemongO, Mar 13, 2012.

1. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

That's right weabos! It's time to stop fapping to Ass Effect 3 / Derping Age: The herping / Wapanese dating games about pigeons and go pledge some monays towards the worthiest of goals.

I know most of you are too young to remember the original game, but let's put it like this: It is the mother of Fallout. You liked Fallout didn't you? Nonono, not that shittyshit 3D first person derpfest. FALLOUT.

Anyways. Go have a look at the kickstarter page and or homepage.

While typing this $10, 000 were pledged. Fuck the mayans, 2012 is best year yet.

2. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I really dislike the whole "buy in alpha" and kickstarter type business model. Don't get me wrong, I see why it's useful and necessary and I know how many games would never see the light of day without it, but that just doesnt change the feeling of wrongness paying people for something not yet created.

3. complete_

complete_ lamer

better than some big name publisher fucking around with the format (lets turn everything into a fps). allowing the average joe to invest allows developer freedom, which is why i love shit like kickstarter and dont care about them taking 5% and amazon taking 3-5%

4. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

No, I agree on the principle. Money up front, nothing to show etc. Had it been anyone else I wouldn't have cared at all.

But this is a delicious dish, served very cold, to all those of us who felt buttraped by Bethesdas treatment of the Fallout franchise.

And is it really that different from the good old days when you walked into a smelly, cramped store and picked a game to buy from the box art? (Then proceeded to pay an arm and a leg for said game.)

5. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I agree totally, I love some of the games that have come out of it and I've bought into a few myself. I just feel weird and like I'm being used when I'm paying for something that doesn't exist yet. I might even get into this one.

6. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Dammit, at this moment I wish I had $10K to blow.

Shit, I wish I had $100 to blow. I'd kill for this to work out.

7. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

The citizens of Portland will be glad to hear that after the first two days the kickstarter is "only" $165k short, with ~$1k still rolling in every ten minutes or so.

No worries, it looks a lot like they we will make it. :)

8. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

We will even be able to bring Wasteland 2 to OS X for Mac lovers

Respect -10.

9. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

So this thing is coming in on its last 40 hours. Its already 284% funded at roughly $2.6 million, which is great, but at $3.0 million we are promised mod tools.

While I'd be thrilled if we do reach it, at the same time $2.6 million dollars is quite a load of dosh for the type of game I suspect this is going to be.
    No need to get greedy, if it is a good enough game I'm sure many tools will grow out of the fan community, just like it did for fallout.

But I are curious. How many around here have pledged? I'm down for the $75 + $15 shipping already, cloth map, big cardboard box, fucking old school manual. My wallet never stood a chance. :D

What about the rest of you? Anyone pledged?

10. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

seriously 90???

11. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Fuck no.

12. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Every thing has its place. Let people spend money the way they want. I'd rather risk money on something that has some chance of being fun than be sure of spending money "sucessfully" on another COD clone (BTW COD got at best average after IW left).

13. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Microsoft does same thing with Vista/7. We talked like for hours with dizzyone about that (quite pathetically).

14. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

Yes. The dollar isn't what it used to be so the exchange rate actually makes it a bit below what you used to have to fork out for (PC) games around here.

Bottom line: I guess I can afford it or I wouldn't have spent it. No longer having to live on student loans has its merits. :)

Haven't bought any games for a long while either, it's all just shit these days. :(

15. Paradox

like, you pay 90 for a game that is not yet released and might be total shit? Like 90 is mpre than any game on the market... I wouldnt do it.

16. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Just compare expected values:
    a) COD clone that has 0% chance of being good for $60 = $0 of expected value delivered
    b) Wasteland that has 10% chance of being good (maybe more) for $90 = $9 of expected value delivered

17. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

iron sky is a crowdfunded non hollywood movie and it was great and didnt follow the same stupid unreflected us-nationalism im sick off.
    not that it was the best movie ever, but good entertainment without retarded propaganda - actually its something they mocked in it.

i think this business model holds a great chance as huge companies usually take no risk. they just develop yet another cod bc they know that the dumb masses buy all crap as long as it has cod printed on it. and to use another example i actually play, bf3, dice didnt take risks either. its bf2 with some bc2 features ... not much Innovation in the end.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  18. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

I understand you have a hard time to grasp my enthusiasm for this Paradox.

True, there are no $90 PC games today. But back in the day, with the big carton boxes, manuals etc it wasn't all that unusual. If this was just another Mass Effect to buy over Steam I'd never, ever, EVER spend that much money on it.

But it's not. It's so much more. It's fucking HOPE, that in the long run, this project will give ineXile the financial means to produce quality games that are not just another CODBLOP.

The minimum pledge with reward is just $15, btw. My $90 was just out of wanting to support an idea I happen to like.

19. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Member

I'm on board, Seeing as fucktard devs turned Tribes into "Call of Tribes" where the best way to kill somebody is to use machineguns GOD DAMNED NEWBLOODS. But yeah, I'm willing to invest in a game that stands a good chance of being something new and good vs a crappy easy to play ripoff of another crappy game.

20. Paradox

Well thing is , corporations sell their sells when they get big, or get taken over derp