Warning: dangerous website.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by knighttemplar, Nov 16, 2006.

1. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Hey Cyber(Gunner_Yayz), my Internet Security suite tells me that I'm viewing a dangerous page sometimes when I'm on the Empires Forums. As best I can, I've figured that it's your signature causing the problems. I adblocked it and that fixed the problem completely. I wanted you to know there could be some problems with your host.

I would have PM'd this, but I figured it would be a good general reminder to the community to make sure their stuff is legit et al. Also, I don't know for certain that it was Cyber, so it was most efficient to tell everyone what was going on.

2. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

.php images, don't do it kids

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

what are php's?

4. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

A kind of script.

In this case, we're using .php to rotate images.

5. Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz)

Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz) Member

I used the same script ^Dee^ uses.
    I even got it from her. I don't have any problems with it, I'll check it out though.
    Did anyone else get this problem? I mean does anyone else have a bad link report from an anti-virus thing that may of started from me?
    I will shut it down for now.

Oh it was legal. I used RipWay to host files including the PhP.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  6. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

We both use the same script. I don't see how his is a problem and not mine :P

7. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I think that anti-virus got an eye for you ^Dee^ ;).

8. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I need more than security in a relationship :)

9. Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz)

Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz) Member

Damn Anti-Virus.
    They can't be trusted in those things can they ^Dee^?
    They always need to improve and they always have some fault.
    Not worth the time, thats why I went to Linux for that stuff.
    Good times...
    Good times...

10. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I've seen the script Dee used. I'd written a similar one. There is nothing wrong with those. Furthermore, as PHP is a scripting language, there is no way that any AV program will have a problem because it is PHP (PHP is a server side language only - you as the client can never see it. You see PHP manifested as HTML and the other things you use PHP to create.)

Ripway may be questionable. Don't know.

knighttemplar - what AV program do you use? I'd recommend that if your subscription is about to expire, switch to Kaspersky - they are the top rated AV program out there by most people, myself included. (They update their virus definitions every 3 HOURS. Norton only updates every week or so.) If for some reason you just hate Kaspersky, then I'd say try out NOD32, but I've managed to get viruses through NOD32 (NOD32 updates every 6 hours.)

11. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Actually, my Trend Micro subscription is up soon, and I'm not entirely satisfied with it. I tried BitDefender, and I rather liked it. I'll Trial Kaspersky, i've heard good things. Thanks for the tip. As I said, it could have been nothing, but I disabled Cyber's pics and the warning is gone. I can still see Dee's and nothing's amiss.

12. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

http://www.av-comparatives.org/ is a good site. I've watched it over a period of time (year+ I guess) and Kaspersky has held the top 3 the whole time. Only one that has...I think.

13. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

ahhh!!! finnaly! proof I'm not a nerd. I have no bloody idea what any of you are talking about. O.O

14. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

To bad for you.

By the way since you all are talking about anti-virus software what do you think of AVG? Its free and Ive had it for almost a year. The only two viruses Ive had was from my own stupidity.

15. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

AVG isn't terribly great. It WORKS, but the only reason to have it is as an extra layer, another set of eyes, though not the keenest eyes...

16. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Kaspersky is designed to be installed side by side with another AV program - it makes itself discreet and does not interfere with other AV programs. AVG wou;d probably work well with it, but I really see no reason. I don't visit websites that will have any sort of exotic viruses on them.

17. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Well, I've used AVG free for a good while now and I'm pretty happy with it. Does everything I want. Then again, I haven't had a virus in over 5 years now.

I also keep hearing good things about Avast! so I might try that next time.

I avoid anything Norton. Especially after that Norton Internet Security 2005 java engine that kept crashing or load improperly. *shivers*

18. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

If Kaspersky is designed to work alongside something else, why does it want me to uninstall everything else?