Wall gates

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by FishThePirate, Oct 2, 2007.

?

Gates are a good idea?

1. Yes, I think it's a good idea.

73 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. No, I think it's a great idea.

8 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. I can't remember where I put my pants...

21 vote(s)
    20.6%
  1. FishThePirate

FishThePirate Member

I was discussing this with someone the other day. Does this seem like a good idea to anyone else?

I'm thinking it would work sort of like the gates in Age of Empires II where you would place a gate in a segment of wall and then it would only open for friendly units and the gate could be locked. It would be possible to sneak through the gate if it opened for a friendly unit and you happened to be near enough to slip in. The gates would probably have to be designed to open horizontally (or down into the ground maybe). It shouldn't swing like a fence gate, I can foresee that resulting in all kinds of collision errors and such. Maybe it could be made of segments that close up like a telescope or something.

However it works, I think gates would make walls more versatile. As it is now you can either completely wall off a section so no one can get through, or you can leave a gap and thus allowing anyone to get through (and making the wall less useful).

2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

i cant remember where i put my dickies.. but maybe this idea will be good in the future

3. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I vaguely recall something like that being a design idea, just like the underground tunnels... Good idea though :)

4. supaste

supaste Member

yeah... it's a good idea and it's been suggested countless times but the thing is that when you build a base in empires you don't usualy seal it in making the gate useless unless you have you base enclosed.

5. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

I still want those freaking underground tunnels, but whatever :-P

I do think gates and turret mount point thingummers would be cool in the long run, but that's an in the long run thing.

6. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

yeah, gates have been proposed hundreds of times and the general consensus is 'fancy, but not functional.'

Also, you phrased the poll wrong. The correct way to phrase it is:

A. This is a great idea.
    B. This is the greatest idea.

7. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

Enclose your base so you can feel an arty strike 10x harder? Go ahead and implement it :)

8. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

I can see it being usefull for map makers but thats about it. Placing them in game would be pointless.

9. davee magee

davee magee Member

but this would also make it harder to secretly infiltrate...

10. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

I'd say the walls don't protect buildings to much as it is (most of the buildings are higher than the walls) so I'd say this might make it harder to defend the base than anything else :confused:

Walls are better for blocking routes in their current state ;)

11. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

What if walls didn't reflect damage, so that they wouldn't be such a liability?

12. FishThePirate

FishThePirate Member

I disagree, mister winky monkey. When you block the route as it is now, you block it off to everyone. Your team would have an advantage if they could block the route to the enemy, but still get through. Like a semi-permeable membrane. It's not about protecting buildings (although imo opinion it's still better to protect the bottom half of a building than not block it at all) it's about closing off areas and channeling the enemy.

I donno where people got this idea of closing in your base. That would be silly mostly.

Either way, I guess it's an idea for the future. I don't care that much. I'd be just as content if they didn't add the gates.

13. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

Where are my pants?

It has potential, but the idea could go sour. Imagine people building wall farms as they are now, but one team can get through? It would get so bloody annoying! Walls are a double-edged sword, and must be used with caution.

It shouldn't be used to stop base infiltration either. I've fallen victim to ninjas just as much as anyone else, but it's all part of the game. It teaches people to not get cocky just because they're winning, and gives the losing team a chance at an upset victory.

14. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Wall gates are a nice idea, but they aren't very high priority. I doubt the devs would find and pressing reason to add them in until the game has all of its major features and bugs fixed.

You can still make ghetto wall-gates by making a > shape with an opening at the end just big enough for a tank. It makes it easy to get out but extremely hard to get back in.
    Code:
    ||
    ||
    ||
     \\
      \\

//
     //
    ||
    ||
    ||

15. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

If someone models them etc, it would be much easier to impliment in the game

16. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

How would they work (Code Wise) because right now all of the buildings have a static collision mesh...

Would it be like the opposite of building a wall?

17. Valiant

Valiant Member

This kind of reminds me of source forts. But honestly, it's not that hard to take down a wall. Have one guy attack, and draw attention while the other takes down the wall.

18. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

Except in sourceforts, you only have the walls/people protecting the flag. In Empires, we have turrets that do it for us more efficiently :].

If the gates are like the combine plasma wall thingy in Half Life 2 (easy to get out, but impossible to get back in unless there's something to identify you such as a keypad), then I'll say DO WANT. If it's a gate thats attaches by hinges and it opens and closes manually, then I would just say sort of want.

19. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Heh.

If a scout sabotages the gate, it opens for ANYONE!

EDIT:

Oooo, how about those gates in CnC: Tiberian Sun? Those were cool.

20. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Maybe if somebody made a map with some convincingly useful static gates, Krenzo might consider adding them/making them a higher priority?