Wall bug as engineer

Discussion in 'Support' started by pickled_heretic, Nov 19, 2009.

1. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I've had this bug with engineers for the last month or so, and it's driving me insane. It's getting to the point where I have a hard time playing engineer because I can't use walls properly anymore.

The problem is that I drop a wall, and the endpoint of that wall section becomes the beginning of my next section, even if the hologram of the walls aren't showing up. If I run halfway across the map and try to drop another short section of wall, it won't let me, because the game thinks I want to build the fucking Great Wall of China. Switching weapons, etc. doesn't help. Changing class from engineer is the only thing that works, and that is obviously disruptive to my team's game if they're using my walls elsewhere.

I'm considering a reinstall (which I'm not entirely sure will work either) but I was hoping someone here had a more convenient solution.

I know this is actually a bug, but I'm less concerned with reporting this as a bug and more concerned with halp.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  2. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Don't know if it's the old bug I'm thinking of but..
    Simple way: Right click after placing walls. All the time.

3. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

My walls have always been working like this, to solve it I simply select my walls but instead I hold down my right mouse button and then press the left one.
    No walls will be placed, but the tool has been "reset".

You will have to do this after every set of walls.

4. communism

communism poof

I posted this shittt so long ago but yeah
    Just right click instead of choosing a different weapon, or else your walls get bugged

5. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

I always right click after placing walls. I have come to see this as the normal operation of empires, I did not really see this as a bug for years now :P

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

should be fixed though, i suggest automatically doing whatever rightclick triggers after placing walls

7. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Well, I thought it was fixed as I've never seen it since ... 2.12?

8. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Don't be a shit. I've never encountered this problem until recently.

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i know that bug since like forever now - i just got used to it. but i agree it really is annoying. you fix it like he said, but it could use some codebase wise fixing once and for all. there was also an old thread (guess 2.12 or smthg) concerning this too, just couldnt find it.

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

me aswell

11. thetim

thetim Member

I have this problem as well. I thought I was the only one.

12. Demented

Demented Member

I always figured it was working as intended, except that the green placement indicators frequently don't show, which can fool you into thinking you're done placing walls when you aren't. Right-clicking is a sore habit.

While it does let you spam a wall quickly, Empires would probably be better without it.

13. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I actually think I know how this started. I always had the bug I think, like some others have observed, but I have been in the practice lately of switching weapons to get out of build/zoom mode instead of right clicking. It's been a new development mainly from using rifle zoom and it somehow bled over into my wall placement.